Coolant Drain, Refill On Powerstroke Diesel And Mechanical Advise In Exchange For Ruger.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Gave me a sweet 1022 Target with laminate stock, Simmons scope &
    IMG_8625.jpeg
    bull barrel in exchange!

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Gave me a sweet 1022 Target with laminate stock, Simmons scope & View attachment 468661 bull barrel in exchange!
    This has been a common occurrence since the invention of firearms.

Bartering.

Now we lowly untrustworthy bitter clinging Maryland peasants must do our bartering transfers at our LGS and pay for the service.

Free State dontchaknow. Yes. I know it's a slavery thing.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    The guy is an intern for me. He is a Baltimore County cop. He owns a diesel F350. He wanted to learn diesels. Sooo…, He was introduced to the concept of internship. Diesel schools are expensive and you need many years to learn modern complex diesel systems so he shows up when not on shift. “ Do this, do that, this is why..”. Hands on after whiteboard run down. I let him work on his truck as well. It’s a Win Win. He was busy with stuff so I jumped on his truck for him.
    He knows I am a gun guy so he brought it over to thank me as he knows that I am swamped and stop to jump on his.
    Super nice guy and in 39yrs of doing this, I’ve only seen a few people start as techs with the natural mechanical ability that he has. Knowledge is learned but naturally mechanically talented is a huge plus. He has 2 yrs to retirement. By then he’d be ready to move out of internship and into a first level tech position. I am hoping the two work out timing wise to be the same.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The guy is an intern for me. He is a Baltimore County cop. He owns a diesel F350. He wanted to learn diesels. Sooo…, He was introduced to the concept of internship. Diesel schools are expensive and you need many years to learn modern complex diesel systems so he shows up when not on shift. “ Do this, do that, this is why..”. Hands on after whiteboard run down. I let him work on his truck as well. It’s a Win Win. He was busy with stuff so I jumped on his truck for him.
    He knows I am a gun guy so he brought it over to thank me as he knows that I am swamped and stop to jump on his.
    Super nice guy and in 39yrs of doing this, I’ve only seen a few people start as techs with the natural mechanical ability that he has. Knowledge is learned but naturally mechanically talented is a huge plus. He has 2 yrs to retirement. By then he’d be ready to move out of internship and into a first level tech position. I am hoping the two work out timing wise to be the same.
    Good on you for taking on an apprentice. It's a shame that practice is so rare nowadays. Good techs are hard to get. Where I work is all off road equipment but we are zero for three in trying out new techs.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Good on you for taking on an apprentice. It's a shame that practice is so rare nowadays. Good techs are hard to get. Where I work is all off road equipment but we are zero for three in trying out new techs.
    They are like hens’s teeth. Good techs make over $150k a year but time and expense with Schooling plus you need about $250k in tools so a green pea out of school must intern while building hands on experience while acquiring tools so.., there is that and it’s filthy AND now days if sharp, you can do that in a clean air conditioned office. Yeah, the good ones are grounded so very difficult to get.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    They are like hens’s teeth. Good techs make over $150k a year but time and expense with Schooling plus you need about $250k in tools so a green pea out of school must intern while building hands on experience while acquiring tools so.., there is that and it’s filthy AND now days if sharp, you can do that in a clean air conditioned office. Yeah, the good ones are grounded so very difficult to get.
    I'm late thirties and I'm on the younger end of the equipment guys. Tends to be dirtier than on road. I actually like it because of the variety I see.

If you found a good one, he will be worth your investment.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    $150k a year? Damn... I did some diesel wrenching about 18 years ago, but the pay was nowhere near that.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    want tound uI'm late thirties and I'm on the younger end of the equipment guys. Tends to be dirtier than on road. I actually like it because of the variety I see.

Yeah, Sometimes I do diesel and hydraulics on ag and construction equipment. Gotta watch those skid steers. They get about 60 pounds of mulch down in the belly pan. That company’s maintenance mechanic is sloppy during maintance and those chips get diesel and oil soaked. Spark drops down in there and it’s like a stump dump fire inside of a safe.
    If you live anywhere near BWI and you want to move up in the diesel world, interview with Bill Sr. @ Arunundel Diesel. Family owned joint. World Class shop. Check out him Flo testing injectors on a test stand. Go to Arundel Diesel on Facebook. Many that are not even diesel techs find it fascinating.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    $150k a year? Damn... I did some diesel wrenching about 18 years ago, but the pay was nowhere near that.
    Oh yeah, in a good diesel, hydraulics and automatic trans shop with a good flare rate pay plan, yeah. Have to be incredibly talented, lots and lots of expensive tools and specialty tools, very quick with out hinky short cuts and like a 0 comeback track record and very very important…,, Yes, You guessed it.., Must have some. level of tolerance and understanding of Trumper customers. lol.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Oh yeah, in a good diesel, hydraulics and automatic trans shop with a good flare rate pay plan, yeah. Have to be incredibly talented, lots and lots of expensive tools and specialty tools, very quick with out hinky short cuts and like a 0 comeback track record and very very important…,, Yes, You guessed it.., Must have some. level of tolerance and understanding of Trumper customers. lol.
    LoL, nice. I was a Detroit series 60 tech and also did MBEs wayyyyy back in the day. Stuff was simple back then, we just started getting EGR coolers, and everything was still all mechanical. I'm sure it's changed drastically in the past 2 decades.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    LoL, nice. I was a Detroit series 60 tech and also did MBEs wayyyyy back in the day. Stuff was simple back then, we just started getting EGR coolers, and everything was still all mechanical. I'm sure it's changed drastically in the past 2 decades.
    Oh it’s frickin unreal. Constantly reading at night, technical seminars, more tools, more tools, need tool box that could be sublet into two apartments if empty. Some boxes have a frig, power outlets, charging station drawer for electric cordless tools chargers, all organized and charging in the drawer, WI Fi, place for laptop, alarm system linked to your phone do you no at night or whenever, the shop has been broken into and they are trying to jack your box.
    The systems just constantly get more complex at an insane rate. Huge Huge problem is early obsolescence if emission exhaust components. Things go obsolete in 7 or 8 years and then what?? Oh, ok.. delete for someone and catch 5 more more years. Fed time is day for day, Jack! No good time, no overcrowding time, no work in the prison credits. No catch 5 and be out in 2. It’s day for day. Other issue is if you are going to delete, you have to rewrite the computer. EVERYTHING is linked. The truck cost you what?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm late thirties and I'm on the younger end of the equipment guys. Tends to be dirtier than on road. I actually like it because of the variety I see.

HOLY SHIP, LATE 30's. HERE I thought you were grizzled like me in all that you know and the level of knowledge you have honed on specialized subjects like mechanics, guns, reloads etc.

At 60, I am as green as it comes in many areas except for common sense.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oh it’s frickin unreal. Constantly reading at night, technical seminars, more tools, more tools, need tool box that could be sublet into two apartments if empty. Some boxes have a frig, power outlets, charging station drawer for electric cordless tools chargers, all organized and charging in the drawer, WI Fi, place for laptop, alarm system linked to your phone do you no at night or whenever, the shop has been broken into and they are trying to jack your box.
    The systems just constantly get more complex at an insane rate. Huge Huge problem is early obsolescence if emission exhaust components. Things go obsolete in 7 or 8 years and then what?? Oh, ok.. delete for someone and catch 5 more more years. Fed time is day for day, Jack! No good time, no overcrowding time, no work in the prison credits. No catch 5 and be out in 2. It’s day for day. Other issue is if you are going to delete, you have to rewrite the computer. EVERYTHING is linked. The truck cost you what?
    THIS is WHAT I HATE HATE HATE about life in 2000 and beyond.

As if Planned Obsolescence wasn't bad in the 70's, it is 100's times worse and costly today in the 20's

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah, Sometimes I do diesel and hydraulics on ag and construction equipment. Gotta watch those skid steers. They get about 60 pounds of mulch down in the belly pan. That company’s maintenance mechanic is sloppy during maintance and those chips get diesel and oil soaked. Spark drops down in there and it’s like a stump dump fire inside of a safe.
    If you live anywhere near BWI and you want to move up in the diesel world, interview with Bill Sr. @ Arunundel Diesel. Family owned joint. World Class shop. Check out him Flo testing injectors on a test stand. Go to Arundel Diesel on Facebook. Many that are not even diesel techs find it fascinating.
    Skids can get messy. Worse when they are in caustic environments. You ain't seen a machine burn til you have seen a pressurized hydraulic system fire. Just run. I actually was replacing the engine wiring harness on a boom lift that caught fire during operation. Fortunately, that one was stopped before the hydraulics were compromised.

I am not near bwi. And I want to get further away from it. It would take more than 150k for me to move back to Baltimore. I dislike the city and thr majority of.its inhabitants.
    HOLY SHIP, LATE 30's. HERE I thought you were grizzled like me in all that you know and the level of knowledge you have honed on specialized subjects like mechanics, guns, reloads etc.

At 60, I am as green as it comes in many areas except for common sense.
    Keep in mind that I have no children and am not married. If I want to spend the whole night in a machine shop riveting up an m1919 or m2, there's nobody to object. If I decide to disappear for a week to work on a new project, so what? I seek out those who are better than I am. If I can't find them, I will figure out how to get better on my own.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Keep in mind that I have no children and am not married. If I want to spend the whole night in a machine shop riveting up an m1919 or m2, there's nobody to object. If I decide to disappear for a week to work on a new project, so what? I seek out those who are better than I am. If I can't find them, I will figure out how to get better on my own.

Now this language I can get behind. Spent the first 30 of my adult life, in other words, 50 of my 60 years the same way.
    The single part that is.

The last 2 sentences has been the story of my quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom