• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I sold my Mossberg 500 for the CZ 712 so I could try a semi auto on the cheap.

Out of the box the differences are quiet apparent. In my opinion the Mossberg pump is built like a tank, you can clearly feel that there is a lot more gun in regards to the sturdiness of the metal because it's made out of steel. The polymer butt stock on the Mossberg is also a quality piece.

The first thing that put me off about the CZ is that it does not feel like it's built to the same standard, everything is substantially lighter (aluminum). The plastic butt stock is really cheap compared to the Mossberg. The bolt is well made however it is also very light in comparison to the Mossberg's.

I was a bit disappointed however after a closer look I come to realize the CZ may have some advantages over the Mossberg.

- The CZ is easier to disassemble then the Mossberg as everything just pops out and it's not tricky to reassemble. Great for cleaning or repair.

- Being substantially lighter feels like a big advantage on how the gun is held and wielded.

- It is a much better fit for me ergonomically even with the cheap plastic butt stock which can be replaced.

The finish on both guns are different. The Mossberg has a heavy parkerized finish on the receiver where as the CZ seems like it has some kind of poly coat. The CZ because it's aluminum is able to have the bolt metallic as well as the trigger which makes it look better.

I'm thinking of replacing the cheap plastic butt stock with a wood one and have it Duracoated black.

I have not had the chance to shoot the CZ yet however it seems to me the CZ being lighter would be a great target shotgun where as the Mossberg would be a better shotgun in terms of durability of being abused and beaten up.

It makes me wonder if the older heavy platforms using steel is overkill.

RDF5186

Feb 26, 2012
    HARFORD CO
    Congrats. I have about a 500 rounds through my als cz712 and it has functioned great.
    usehe9at.jpg

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Good to here and something to look forward to. I like the ATI stock however I want to avoid a folding stock altogether. I'm going to try and see if CZ will sell me a wood butt stock.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I was able to get a replacement wood butt stock from CZ and it makes the gun feel substantial. It also balances out the rifle by adding a little needed weight.
    I just need to have it DuraCoated.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I was able to shoot the CZ today and it cycled 1 ounce slugs without any problem. It feels like it has half the recoil of a pump shotgun. Very happy to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom