• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I wouldn't say it is any better than a 9mm AR pistol. I was actually looking into building a 9mm AR until I saw the MPX and Scorpion were about to come out. To me it came down to the fact that I would rather have a weapons system designed for 9mm than cobbling together a gun with a extra lower I had. I never liked the look of a lot of mag blocks I saw and the cheap 30 round Scorpion mags were a big plus for me. Plus, I already have ARs and would rather have something else, these have a different sub gun feel.

FYI - The magazine adapter is no longer a requirement. I agree that this was a potential weak point in the older builds. There are now dedicated AR lowers for both Colt and Glock magazines. The Colt-style is a recent development. I have one from Palmetto Defense and it is working well. Colt-style mags are pretty cheap from the internet and around $25 in person (pricing from today's Harrisburg gunshow).

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Okay, it's 9mm. What am I missing? How is this any better than a 9mm AR pistol ?

I really don't think you can compare them. I think a better comparison is between the MPX and a 9mm AR pistol. The Scorpion is not a cheap gun and it's not made with cheap parts. It's ergonomically different (europen) which can be a good or bad thing. The Scorpions simple design I believe was made for reliability and durability, and I think it's also what makes it cheaper to manufacture then some other high end SMGs. I would say compared to an MP-5 it has more recoil but it's still going to stay on target. I seen a few impressive torture test videos and it's quiet impressive. With a 12 moa dot attached it might make it the ultimate HD gun on a budget.

I forgot to mention that the Scorpion is better suppressed then a 9mm AR or MPX.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    29 oal is very easy.... just saying...
    awaiting my stamp and 922 compliance kit...
    The stocks I've seen come up about 3" short. What is your secret?
    If I decide to supress, I don't want a muzzle brake welded on the barrel.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I really don't think you can compare them. I think a better comparison is between the MPX and a 9mm AR pistol. The Scorpion is not a cheap gun and it's not made with cheap parts. It's ergonomically different (europen) which can be a good or bad thing. The Scorpions simple design I believe was made for reliability and durability, and I think it's also what makes it cheaper to manufacture then some other high end SMGs. I would say compared to an MP-5 it has more recoil but it's still going to stay on target. I seen a few impressive torture test videos and it's quiet impressive. With a 12 moa dot attached it might make it the ultimate HD gun on a budget.

I forgot to mention that the Scorpion is better suppressed then a 9mm AR or MPX.

None of this gives me any clue why you think the Scorpion is better than an AR pistol in 9mm.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    How or why is the scorpion better suppressed than a 9mm or the mix?

Thanks

Because the gas is not directed towards the operator. I never fired a 9mm AR suppressed but after firing a 223 AR suppressed I hated it.
    The owner of that AR reported that internals were filthy after shooting it.

Last edited:

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    None of this gives me any clue why you think the Scorpion is better than an AR pistol in 9mm.

I never said it was better just different ergonomically. You cant compare the MP-5 to a 9mm AR either. They way they recoil is very different as well.
    I'm sure the 9mm AR is great now but a few years ago I remember that it was a hit or miss depending on what you got and you had to do your research. The Scorpion out of the box works and has been proven reliable, its also in service. The Scorpion was designed around the 9mm cartridge and that too with a proven direct blow back design that is used in the UMP and Uzi. Less moving parts and quick disassembly.

What I would like to know is what makes an MPX better then a 9mm AR. I think that would be a more interesting argument as to why Sig would make a 9mm styled AR if you can just buy an upper.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Found Mags on CZ website $19.95 each. max you can order is 4 , They have the MD disclaimer. But if you have a place in PA or VA you should be fine.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Because the gas is not directed towards the operator. I never fired a 9mm suppressed but after firing a 223 AR suppressed I hated it.
    The owner of that AR reported that internals were filthy after shooting it.

Same comment here at minutes 8:30 and 15:15 in an Evo vs MPX comparison ...

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Some of my comments are based on the opinion from that video and my own personal experience. I have fondled the MPX at the Dulles Expo and it seems like a nice gun but I felt that if both were the same price I would still pick the Scorpion out of personal preference and the fact that I don't see anything wrong with the Scorpion that would tell me that you get what you pay for. What ever shortcomings the Scorpion has that people speak loudly about can be addressed but I doubt that it's the same case for the MPX even though it's probably better out of the box ergonomically. After spending money on the Scorpion to get it right the price difference gets a little closer to the MPX but at least the magazines for the Evo are in stock and cheap.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm sold on the Scorpion as well. I set up price alerts and am waiting on Black Friday sales. I had been thinking 9mm build, saving up for the MPX, getting a Beretta Storm CX4, etc, but a Scorpion with a few additions will serve my needs with minimal fuss. I would also like to run it suppressed, and want to minimize crap blowing back in my face. Not a fan of the Scorpion's plastic rails, but appreciate the mag pricing and all the aftermarket support CZ is giving this line.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I'm sold on the Scorpion as well. I set up price alerts and am waiting on Black Friday sales. I had been thinking 9mm build, saving up for the MPX, getting a Beretta Storm CX4, etc, but a Scorpion with a few additions will serve my needs with minimal fuss. I would also like to run it suppressed, and want to minimize crap blowing back in my face. Not a fan of the Scorpion's plastic rails, but appreciate the mag pricing and all the aftermarket support CZ is giving this line.

I did not notice any difference between the polymer rails and aluminum as far as functionality or otherwise. The polymer on this gun is tough.

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    I didn't know about the suppressor issues but the reasons the guy from Military Arms Channel talked about were pretty much the deal breakers for me back when I was deciding on 9mm rifle/pistol. The MPX mag costs that will probably never get that cheap, AR style charging handle, and gas system. From a pistol caliber carbine I wanted simple, reliable, and not too expensive. If I'm spending over a grand for a gun, I don't want to be spending it on something shooting 9mm. Reliability leaned me away from 9mm ARs since there are a lot of mixed reviews from guns people piece together, didn't feel like buying parts and hoping they all worked together. Was thinking about going the QC-10 lower route but then the final cost just comes out roughly equivalent to buying a Scorpion which I know will work out of the box. I'm hoping the aftermarket comes up with better pistol grips and charging handles for the Scorpion but even if it doesn't I can live with my current setup.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Is it legal to put a compensator on the scorpion?

Edit
    My original answer was me reading compensator as suppressor and looking at the guy on Military Arm Channel. No stamp, no 6 mo wait, it comes from the factory with one.

Last edited:

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I didn't know about the suppressor issues but the reasons the guy from Military Arms Channel talked about were pretty much the deal breakers for me back when I was deciding on 9mm rifle/pistol. The MPX mag costs that will probably never get that cheap, AR style charging handle, and gas system. From a pistol caliber carbine I wanted simple, reliable, and not too expensive. If I'm spending over a grand for a gun, I don't want to be spending it on something shooting 9mm. Reliability leaned me away from 9mm ARs since there are a lot of mixed reviews from guns people piece together, didn't feel like buying parts and hoping they all worked together. Was thinking about going the QC-10 lower route but then the final cost just comes out roughly equivalent to buying a Scorpion which I know will work out of the box. I'm hoping the aftermarket comes up with better pistol grips and charging handles for the Scorpion but even if it doesn't I can live with my current setup.

I admit I'm a CZ fan but I'm not one of those people that wants to unfairly discourage the competition by having baseless biased remarks. I want the MPX to be competitive because it will bring out the best in the Scorpion but unfortunately the MAC video pointed out a few more things that places the SIG in a bad light. MAC mentioned that the barrel screws were walking out which I think is unacceptable even if you had to use lock tight. By design this also tells me why on various video and blog comparisons that the Scorpion was more accurate. It also has been reported that the MPX has seen malfunctions because the trigger pins were also walking. This might be minor fixes but this affects the reliability of the weapon and it's unexceptable for anyone considering using this for HD use. It makes me wonder if anymore issues will be reviled by higher round counts and torture testing.

Last edited:

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    The whole compliance kit is becoming a debacle. If the rumors are true that everything is available except the stocks, CZ should sell them that way. They will make a killing. And if people want the true CZ stock, they will buy them when they become available. My SBR plans don't include the CZ stock because of the OAL issue we have here. Honestly, I would love to see a wire stock of some sort, a la the MPK.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I was told by a class 3 dealer that it is in fact legal to put a "compensator" on a scorpion, without the stamp

Brain fart, I read it a suppressor. I will edit my post
    It comes with a muzzle brake from the factory. Some people swap that out, but it's a 7 pound pistol so recoil isn't the same a a pocket 9.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012

Brain fart, I read it a suppressor. I will edit my post
    It comes with a muzzle brake from the factory. Some people swap that out, but it's a 7 pound pistol so recoil isn't the same a a pocket 9.

I was thinking of getting a compensator because it would help getting to the >29" length needed to SBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom