• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I'm filling out the paperwork tomorrow at Corsica, so my wait hasn't even started yet, but I couldn't resist posting the picture.

I got this Dan Wesson Pointman in .40S&W to use in USPSA Single Stack. I chose .40 because I don't reload, so buying ammo just hot enough to make 165 power factor (velocity x bullet grains / 1000) for competition is easier in .40 than .45

I may also use it in ESP for IDPA.

PM40.jpg

After ordering it, I got a little feverish waiting for it to ship, so I ordered 7 9-round mags for it, a blade-tech holster, 1000 rounds of various ammo, different weight recoil springs, .40 snap caps, a new roll of grip tape (I was out anyway), and new alumagrips and magwell.

I got the techwell "carry" magwell from techwear. I tried it out at a match on a friend's gun. It makes reloads so easy a caveman could do it.

magwell.jpg

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I got a chance to fondle it tonight. Taking it apart, I could immediately see where the extra money goes over bargain 1911s.

I think as big of a bang/dollar as you get for a Rock Island Tactical at $440, you get just as much bang/dollar in a Dan Wesson for $1050.

The slide to frame fit is very tight, but doesn't snag or require extra effort, you can just feel that it moves directly on one line back and forth. The movement is very precise. There is no play.

The bushing is tight enough to require the supplied bushing wrench to twist it for disassembly.

The trigger feels around 3.5-4lbs, with a clean surprise break.

The large thumb safety is easy to flick off, and that "memory bump" on the grip safety helps to fight off the "poor grip - gun won't fire" blues when the draw is rushed.

I'm eager to give a range report next week, when MSP gives me their blessing.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Sweet. A DW Pointman Major was my first 1911. It is amaziningly tight and I have to tap off the barrel bushing still after a couple thousand rounds.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Waiting time over

Rudy2.jpg

Leftside.jpg

Rightnoflashedit.jpg

Magwelllarge.jpg

I was rushing to a party, so I only had enough time to put 25 rounds through it, but they all worked, and the accuracy agrees with me. 15 yards offhand, the max distance of the closest indoor range.
    15yards.jpg

The only thing that doesn't agree with me is this little ridge on the frame that sticks out. It digs into the base of my thumb. I may have smooth that out.

Ridge.jpg

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Looks pretty decent.

That "notch" on the back of the frame... I also find annoying. On my 1911s I've gone with a .220" radius on the back of the frame, and the safety pretty much covers up all of that.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I rounded off that edge today and polished it back up. That is the good thing about stainless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom