• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    From the WaPo

The D.C. government released emergency regulations yesterday that greatly expand the models of handguns that District residents can own, a shift designed to stave off another lawsuit over its compliance with the Second Amendment.

The new regulations, which come as the District continues to grapple with last year's Supreme Court decision that threw out the city's gun ban, will allow residents to legally obtain at least 1,000 additional types and models of handguns.

City leaders sought to play down the effects of the new regulations, but gun rights advocates said they were another boost to their efforts to undo the District's long-held restrictions on personal possession of weapons.

"We are gratified the District is recognizing their approach is unworkable and unconstitutional," said Alan Gura, who was the lead attorney in the District of Columbia v. Heller Supreme Court case. "There is now a whole new universe of guns that will now be available."

In addition to permitting guns in the District that are legal in California, the city will also allow residents to apply to register handguns that are permissible in Massachusetts and Maryland.

The new rules will give gun owners a broader array of choices when they go shopping for handguns to keep in their home. In some cases, the change could mean something as minor as what color of weapon they can purchase. In other instances, gun owners will have access to weapons with additional design features.

"These new rules are part of our continuing effort to develop reasonable laws and regulations governing gun ownership in the District," Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) said in a statement.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Lol, they don't want to spend millions more on each and every lawsuit they know they will lose. They are on the run and I hope Gura keeps hounding them.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    That article states, that it's weapons approved in CA, MD, and MA. So I assume they just copied the entire list.

There's a big disparity between whats approved in Md v Mass.

Mass for example has a ban on all mags that hold more than 10.....for example the Springfield XD Series was not on the mASS approved list last I checked.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    Citizens who had been previously denied an opportunity to register their handguns will be invited to re-apply under the new guidelines, which now include information from so-called “safe gun rosters” maintained by Maryland and Massachusetts.

I found this...

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    Wow, Thats fascinating. I found this......

:D

ilmostro.gif

Nickles said it's not clear exactly how many models of weapons will be covered by the changes. There are 1,375 types of permissible handguns on the California list. There are 2,245 on Maryland's, according to Nickles.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Would be nice, to get the "Approved Handgun roster" declared unconstitutional

Yup, this is funny in the regards that if Gura still pursues litigation based on this then not only will California's handgun roster be at risk of being declared unconstitutional, but MA and MD's as well. I bet a lot of gun control advocates are pissed at the DC council and mayor in those states by their move. It would be fricken hillarious to see Joe Curran's face the day the SC abolishes the MD handgun roster.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Especially since Gura can attack fairly easily. Go get a high-end target pistol that is not on any of these lists...the Walther SSP comes to mind. Good enough to win Olympic medals, but not good enough for Maryland.

Try to acquire, get refused...and sue the whole notion into oblivion.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Especially since Gura can attack fairly easily. Go get a high-end target pistol that is not on any of these lists...the Walther SSP comes to mind. Good enough to win Olympic medals, but not good enough for Maryland.

Try to acquire, get refused...and sue the whole notion into oblivion.

I don't know about that since MD allows you and I to apply to get a handgun on the Roster for free. It isn't like CA where the cost to apply is beyond a private person's ability plus CA requires a yearly renewal fee to keep a gun on the approved list.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    This is a sad day. Obviously, DC does not learn for all the gun deaths in the territory when they were banned now they're opening it up to assault weapons like S&W model 36. It's a sad day...

badguyRL

~Sexy~ Junior Memeber
    May 24, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Pretty pathetic that these pinheads are easing restrictions not becaue they've seen the light and have decided to abide by the Constitition, but to AVOID A LAWSUIT!! :banghead:

Come to think about it, the judiciary system has been one of our (gun owners) biggest allies. It serves as the CHECK to our rampantly self-serving legislative branch.
    I have little faith in legislators seeing any kind of light, whatsoever. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom