• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    I went in to Dicks Sporting Goods in Bel Air to get bow hunting gloves. Killing time I went back to look at the shotguns. They had a Remington 870 combo with scope for 399. I saw that and after telling guy behind the counter that this store is gonna make me broke decided to get it. So I fill out the paper work and he calls it in. After he hangs up I am so happy to get another shotgun.. then he delivers a dagger. You have been delayed until the 24th of Sept. I ask why and he could not tell me. This is not the first time I have bought a shotgun or a gun at all. So the manager comes over to show the guys behind the counter how to store that shotgun now that my name is attached to it. Then he says.. on the 24th we "can" give it to him.. but they will not until they have the all clear.
    Have you ever heard of a delay on a shotgun? What could it have been? :mad54:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The person conducting the NICS on the other end of the phone, would render the status. the 24th should be the worse case date NICS folk will get in touch with the FFL.

Just give tem a call on monday afternoon.

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    It was just shocking to not be walking out the store with my new toy. I hope this is not a back door 7 day wait on long guns now

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Same exact circumstance happened to my buddy, buying shotgun@walmart, he got the delayed status, his jaw just dropped, he's never been in trouble as far as the law is concerned.

Turns out his son has the same name, guess the FBI wanted to make sure the right guy was buying the gun. Walmart called the next day and gave the all clear.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm not trying to pick on Dick's Sporting Goods, but I've heard of several people getting delayed on basic sporting guns there.

Last gun I bought from them was back in 04' and I didn't have any problems.

Anybody else have a problem there?

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    Same exact circumstance happened to my buddy, buying shotgun@walmart, he got the delayed status, his jaw just dropped, he's never been in trouble as far as the law is concerned.

Turns out his son has the same name, guess the FBI wanted to make sure the right guy was buying the gun. Walmart called the next day and gave the all clear.

I am a Jr. Maybe that is it. But I have never had that problem before. And thanks for the link. Good to see it is not just me... but seems alot is happening there at Dicks.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I was talking to a guy in White Marsh Dick's that said they have let a lot of people go in "The Lodge" because they can't fill out the paperwork or explain it to the people purchasing guns. Dick's might just get flagged once in a while.

mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    I've been delayed a couple times. I found out that there is a guy with the same first and last name as me with a lengthy arrest record. They were delaying me to make sure I wasn't him.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    You probably have someone with a similar name out there somewhere that's in trouble. If there was something out there that prevented you from buying a gun I'm sure you would know about it. I doubt it's Dick's fault. Calling the information in is kind of hard to screw up. The manager was right about they "can" give it to you after 3 federal business days with no further contact from NICS, which would make it on the 24th. But like a lot of places they won't.

These things usually get cleared up within a day or two. One of the (few) things the Bush Administration did for gun owners was to staff the NICS center with personnel who can quickly look into delayed responses and clear them if they're unjustified. I'd call Dick's tommorrow afternoon and see if they got the return call yet.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    My FIL was delayed at BPS for a shotgun purchase. Think it was a name thing but they don't tell you

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I was delayed once for a rifle once...left the store and the shop called 20 minutes later all was good to go. Got denied buying a handgun like 19 years ago, I appealled and walked into the hearing with the trooper and he approved me. Apparently there were two people of a different race with same name with warrants outstanding.

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    Good news Bad News

Good News.. got the call all is good. Come pick up shotgun:party29:

Bad News... Have to make another trip to BelAir and I can not get there until Saturday. :mad54:

At least they got that mix up fixed. Hopefully next time I can leave the store with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom