• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I know I am going to be purchasing alot of handguns and doing searches on google and yahoo have not really gotten me far.

1. Do I have to be fingerprinted?
    2. Can ATF come knocking threw my door at any time to see my collection?
    3. Since the ATF is notified on one purchase a day can I do one a day?
    4. Is there a maximum amount of guns I can purchase in one months time period?

Any advice or help on deciding if this is rite for me would be much appreciated.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    It just does away with the 30 day rule. You fill out a piece of paper. Have it notorized. Send it in and wait for a letter. No ATF.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    1 NO
    2 Designated Collector is a MD thing, not Federal. ATF knows nothing about it.
    3 Yes
    4 Only limited by your bank account

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Be aware that MD Designated Collector and a C&R FFL are totally different things. The Designated Collector status is only relevant to MD laws, and has nothing to do with any Federal law.

1. No, no fingerprints. Just a one page form to fill out and have notarized before mailing to MDSP.

2. Neither the ATF nor any part of the Federal government knows nor cares about MD Designated Collector status.

3. I'm not aware of any Federal law limiting the amount of guns somebody can buy in one day. The ATF doesn't care.

4. Yes, normally 1 "regulated" gun (i.e. handgun or scary-looking rifle) in 30 days, though there are a handful of exceptions to buy 2 in 60 days. This is the whole point of the MD Designated Collector, as it is one of the exceptions to Maryland's x-guns-per-month rules.

There is absolutely nothing to lose by applying except the notary's fee. I think it was $5 or less at a UPS Store for me. Well, and a stamp.

Supposedly somebody got turned down for collector's status because MDSP only had a record of them buying one 'regulated' gun, and thus had no collection. I don't know if I'm remembering that correctly, and if I am, I don't know if I buy that story as-is; there must be something more to it. I thought the MDSP wasn't supposed to be keeping records of peoples' guns - but I definitely don't buy that story either... Iunno, there's still nothin' to lose.

EDIT: I don't mean literally the ATF/Feds are completely oblivious to MD laws, but that I would imagine they consider them largely irrelevant to their jobs.

Goldengoose

Oct 15, 2009
    Fawn Grove, Pennnsylvania
    Your designated collector status allows you to buy as many firearms as you want in the state of Maryland that are on the roster list no more 30 day between purchases, still 8 day waiting period to pick up on regulated guns. You can buy 10 today, and buy another 20 tomorrow it doesn't matter, the MSP (Maryland State Police) issues your designated collector status, you can get a verbal from them and the letter will come in a couple of months. I have bought as many as 25-30 guns in a month right after I got my DCS!!!! Go for it.....

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I sent my application in on October 27th and recieved it on December 4th if anyone was interested on current wait times! And by the way I turned 21 on October 17th and did two handgun purchases. I am not sure if you would of been accepted with just 1 purchase

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I sent my application in on October 27th and recieved it on December 4th if anyone was interested on current wait times! And by the way I turned 21 on October 17th and did two handgun purchases. I am not sure if you would of been accepted with just 1 purchase

Seems as if the MSP has things back to normal.

BTW, did you get the letter on 12/4 or just a verbal confirmation?

Ahh, to be 21 again. Wait.... we wouldn't be talking on the internet then.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Any suggestions on what to put in the field that asks for the reason for applying?

I'm just a out ready to send mine in and need to figure out what to put in that field.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Seems as if the MSP has things back to normal.

BTW, did you get the letter on 12/4 or just a verbal confirmation?

Ahh, to be 21 again. Wait.... we wouldn't be talking on the internet then.

I got the letter in the mail! No verbal or email confirmation...

Any suggestions on what to put in the field that asks for the reason for applying?

I'm just a out ready to send mine in and need to figure out what to put in that field.

I wrote.. To collect and enjoy all weapons and follow all legal regulations

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    Just got my little white envolope that housed my ticket to all the guns I can afford to bye, too bad its xmas and gifts come first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom