• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    Just an idea that i had. Would it be possible to convert the gas piston operation of the sks with a direct impingment system by removing the pistons and operating rod? I dont realy know any advantages or disadvantages of it just an idea.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I don't really know much about SKSs, but I don't like direct impingment. It's really annoying how dirty my AR gets, and then without cleaning it would reduce reliability. Is there any advantage to direct impingment that I don't know about?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Just an idea that i had. Would it be possible to convert the gas piston operation of the sks with a direct impingment system by removing the pistons and operating rod? I dont realy know any advantages or disadvantages of it just an idea.

I think it would be possible with the sks or the ak. I joke about it everytime i see a piston AR. In addition to removing the pistons, i think a gas tube like on the AR would need to be added and extended to the bolt, and possibly a recess drilled into the bolt to seal against the tube.

In the case on the sks, removing the small piston would also remove a spring. You would have to either "tune" the gas port tube or change the recoil spring to make up for the missing resistance.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't really know much about SKSs, but I don't like direct impingment. It's really annoying how dirty my AR gets, and then without cleaning it would reduce reliability. Is there any advantage to direct impingment that I don't know about?

What this guy said.

The only real advantage to a direct impingment system that I see is reducing parts and complexity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom