• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    What is the cheapest and easiest course to take/complete to satisfy VA's requirement for documented evidence of competence with a handgun? I'm guessing a basic NRA handgun class is the way to go, but where can one take them in the Baltimore area? How much should I expect to pay?

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    check the training forum, I think that someone from the board is putting together a class up your way

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    When I got my Virgina non resident permit they accepted my Maryland training card the one I got when I bought my first regulated firearm.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    When I got my Virgina non resident permit they accepted my Maryland training card the one I got when I bought my first regulated firearm.

+1. Just used the certificate I got after watching the Gun Store Training Video. They have an On Line version as well. VA seems to accept this. FL no longer does apparently.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I took an NRA "First Steps" course at Continental in Baltimore. It was a long time ago, can't remember the cost, but here's site where you can look up available courses:
    http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

In MD you can simply watch the video instead, but the course is a much better introduction depending on your skill level. Plus you get a little range time and some shooting tips, as well as the ability to ask questions.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I know this is an old thread, but I figured it'd be worthwhile to have the information together.

My girlfriend is a Lieutenant in the Navy and is going to be stationed in Norfolk starting this summer. She's a dentist, so pistol/rifle qualifications are pretty much optional. Her permanent residence is still WV, so I assume she'd need an out of state carry permit. Would proof of her commission be enough to meet the training requirement, or would she need to prove that she passed the pistol qualification too?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    From the WV AG site:

Q: What are the training requirements to obtain a license?

4) Any handgun safety or training course
    conducted by the U.S. military, reserves, or National Guard.

Getting the pistol ribbon is crazy easy. She should get someone to get her qualified and then she should be good to go.

It does look, however, that she has to go back to her county sheriff to get the permit taken care of.

Q: Where can I apply for a concealed deadly weapons license?
    A: At the offi ce of the sheriff in your county of residence. A list of
    sheriff’s offi ces is in this booklet.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Nick, where is she now?

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    For the next few weeks, she's stationed at NNMC Bethesda. She plans on keeping her official residence as WV, but doesn't actually plan on going back there for any length of time for a while, which is why I was asking about the VA out of state permit (looking at my post now, I wasn't clear about that).

I guess I should also be asking if her not having a WV permit has any effect on her being able to get a VA permit. Logistically speaking, it's a lot easier for her to get the out of state VA permit than the WV permit.

There is a base in Norfolk that will qualify her with the pistol, so I don't that will be too much of a problem.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    She can get the VA permit with multiple easy options. But would be doubtful if WV would accept it for a WV resident. ( Maybe so, but does she want to volenteer to be test case?)

Best bet is get VA non res now ( if only for greater reciprosity to other states), and next time otherwise visit home County of Record in WV pick up forms then.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    She'll still need the training course for the VA Non-res. She can hook up with Par-Break and knock out the requirements at On Target.

I might be able to get her pistol qualified since she's active duty, but I bet that will take longer than just going through Bryan.

She can not carry in WV on a VA non-resident permit if she is still a WV resident. No way around that in the current law.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Nick, as I look at this, just the fact that she's active duty might be enough to get her through on the training requirement:

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch
    of the armed services;

email them and ask them.... nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov

I bet you get a response very quickly.

NOVA A

Mar 12, 2010
    Herndon, VA
    In short,

• I believe Active Duty Military are exempt from the training requirement.
      Retired / inactive military need to provide a copy of their DD214.
      Any NRA 1st Steps / Basic Pistol courses qualify.

Or, you can contact us for a 4 hour comprehensive course that covers VA, UT, and FL Concealed Handgun Permit requirements for $85.00: nova.arms@gmail.com $85.00. Please E-mail or PM me for details.

TJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom