• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    My girlfriend is an officer in the Navy. She was talking to a few of her enlisted guys about me getting an out of state carry permit the other day and was surprised to hear from several of them that they had MD carry permits and that it wasn't a big deal getting them.

I told her to ask what they put as their "good reason" but was wondering if any of you guys know anything about this?

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    My understanding was that if you aren't a licensed security guard or a business owner you have very little chance of getting one. And even when you do get issued one they have restrictions on the back (ie Only going to and from the bank or in the performance of your duties). Strange though that Military members have MD Handgun permits. Could you ask them what they filled out as far as reason why they needed one and what their restrictions are? My guess is that they are able to be armed only in the performance of their duties.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I asked her to ask more questions tomorrow. I guess it could be only in the performance of their duties, but these guys are dental techs, so it's not like they need a gun to do their job in the Navy.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I asked her to ask more questions tomorrow. I guess it could be only in the performance of their duties, but these guys are dental techs, so it's not like they need a gun to do their job in the Navy.

?? if the patient fights.. they have the right to shoot em? :lol2::innocent0

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    ?? if the patient fights.. they have the right to shoot em? :lol2::innocent0

lol one of my professors is a retired Army Colonel. In his first lecture he shows this picture of "military dental care" with one guy holding a gun to the back of the patient's head while the dentist looks in his mouth.:lol2:

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Dental techs may have access to/be responsible for medication including anaesthetics. That can include some serious stuff, though usually the responsibility sits with a DDS (or an MD), not at the tech level. Dunno -- be interested to hear what her further QQs turn up.

nightglider

May 2, 2010
    Agreed. I'm from PA, but active duty military stationed on Andrews. My PA LTCF was cheap and got approved in about 2 days, but I'm not paying $100+ for a slim chance at an MD permit. I want to hear more.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Nick, she has a prescription pad, no?

Then she's good to go.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Someone else on this forum was ex-military and convinced the MDSP to issue a CCW because they were involved in intelligence.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Nick, she has a prescription pad, no?

Then she's good to go.

I really just started this thread out of curiosity and maybe for future reference, but actually she doesn't.

They have prescription clinics for the clinic in general, and because she's in the Navy she doesn't need a DEA number (needed to prescribe narcotics).

Feb 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I would love to hear what the reasoning was as well. I elected to not even submit a request based on some older posts, and information on the net about how hard it is to obtain a MD CCW.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    curious as well . . and be sure to rule out the use of the term "permit" in the context of a NYC-style "permit to own."

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    a non-update: she wasn't at her regular clinic (and isn't scheduled to be there until Friday). I'll update the thread when I get more info.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    It's a crap shoot, clearly an arbitrary process for deciding who's 'worthy' and who's not. This is the very reason I joined MSI, to make Maryland a safer place, where unless it can be demonstrated that you should not be permitted (violent criminal, drug/alcohol abuser (defined by law), or mental), the police 'shall issue' a permit to carry a firearm any qualified law-abiding responsible citizen. Just like the other 40+ states now that have laws like this, and have seen a reduction in crime since passing such legislation.

-----------------
    I know someone will need to read this:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=define:arbitrary&aq=f&aqi=g-c4g-sx5&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Last edited:

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    I'd really like to hear about this, retired mil with intel background... ?

I too would like to hear more of this. Crap, I am retired and had access to Nike missile launch codes years ago with a TS-BI clearance. I also worked as the security chief with the S2. Does that qualify me in Maryland? Not that I have ever read. My chances right now of a CCW permit in Maryland are about the same as pregnancy.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    my brother's friend and his wife both have permits.

they're not mil, or anything , not LEO, not security or do large cash deposits.

he is iranian and teaches people to fly planes though...they're good people, just thought that was kinda funny.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Someone sued the state and lost, the court said that if their military occupation (he was an O4 in intel) made them a target the military would issue them a sidearm and the appropriate paperwork to carry it 24x7.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Sounds to me like a couple Dental techs trying to inpress the pretty Officer. My guess is they do not have MD carry permits and probably don't even have military weapons cards either.
    I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to wage money I'm right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom