• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Wow

To the left of me were 4 young men with a WASR10, Shotgun with PG, AR with the catalog thrown at it, and another AR flattop without a rear BUIS.

Lets get this straight, we all were new to shooting at one point or another, common sense being at different levels I'm sure.

I am not going to berate them as I thought I would want to, but safety is of the utmost importance to me as our hobby could be lethal if not taken seriously. Right?

These guys were switching weapons back and forth so fast I could barely keep track of them. I was on the left side of my bench. They were to my left on the right side of their bench. Not only was brass hitting me in the face(kinda dont mind if it's accidental and apologies follow) but they didnt even take to notice if they were out of thier space. Really I dont care but to not even notice means a safety concern as what else are they not doing right.

Before all that shit started they were aiming and shooting at my target at the berm??!! I realized once I noticed this that they have never been there and were oblivious to common sense. My target at the berm was a road cone with a target stapled to it. I didnt say a word at that point since they could barely hit it with the given skill level. There was a target stand someone had left in my lane. At the cease fire I went to check on my cone and on the way back moved the "free" target stand in their line o fire and told them they could shoot at that since it wasnt mine. I think they got the hint. Christ, at one point they were aiming across my line of fire and shooting at my buddy's target to my right! I put an end to that asshattery quick. The acted as if they didnt realize you couldnt do that.

With the advent of rifle and gun sales lately being at a high rate, I believe this type of behavior will be more commonplace than we are accustomed to.

Hey, you know, I get it. I used to be gung ho and shoot everything in sight. But I had just a smidgen more common sense.

Wow...

Last edited:

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I've heard other complaints. I was at Elk Neck a couple days ago and I didn't notice any blatant safety violations. Even though it may not make you popular, it's probably a good idea to point these things out to them.

I try to only go up there on "off days", though...days when no one else is likely to be out there. i.e. weekdays during work-hours.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I do try to stay away from there this time of year and especially on Sundays. My buddy wanted to sight in his Bereatta shotgun for hunting ad asked me to go with him. Eh, why not since I havent fired the AK in a while. Oh well.

I also told him I have never witnessed such activity at that level.

I like to let loose at times but sheesh..

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I have never had a safety issue with anyone at Elk Neck. Granted it has never been extremely busy when i go there. I avoid most weekends and I try to stay away this time of the year cause its just too crowded. Its funny how everyone swamps to the range during hunting season. Guess they think the practice will help them bag that deer. I say practice year round and you won't have to swamp the place.

I do believe the increase in sales is going to lead to an increase in morons at the range though. :sad20:

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    I was up there the same time you were (i swear we as a site have to come up with a method of ID to other members).

I was actually down range when i heard you tell your friend, that the guy next to you didnt have a rear site. I was the guy on the other end (3 from the end, with the gsg/ak/ar teaching the 10 year old and his father to shoot). I've seen the rifle range that crowded before but what worried me is that at one time i asked if the range was hot after a cease fire.... i was told "NOOOO" by a gentleman loading his rifle.. I asked him why he was handling his firearm while there was someone down range then.

I didnt notice anyone sweeping people but i did notice people loading firearms while people were down range.. I said something range wide once but i still saw it. That stuff gets scary.

I saw you firing your AK, very nice looking rifle (at least from a distance)

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Believe it or not I think I know who you are. You looked right at me when I told my buddy that.

Yea, those dudes were a little rough around the edes with their prowess.

That AK I had is a WASR10 that I massaged a little. Ton's o' Fun..

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    road cones!!!!!!!!!!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: i just went to home depot yesterday and made a $20 porta-stand..... then i read your post this morning while i'm at work STARRING at brand new traffic cones i sell here:banghead:

instead of stapling right to them, i might try sticking 2 wood post in them.

what was that?....oh ok, charge 2 36" cones to the shop?:innocent0

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Your center of your target has to be 48 inches off the ground at Elk Neck.

Stick a piece of wood out the top of the cone and attach the target to that.

You can really make cheap target stands.

I used a telescoping flood light stand and used a piece of wood horizontal which allowed me a target on each side of the stand.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    I see a few lonely road cones in my daily travels, I may have to rescue a couple of them. My current target frame is made of pvc pipe an wood uprights. Ok when i use my truck to go to the range but a pain when I borrow the wifes car.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    my "just finished" porta-stand goes in one of the tailgating chair bags for transport:thumbsup:

the new cones i have are about $18 a piece. i sell them to gasonline tanker companies. seems my inventory is off a couple:innocent0

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    All my porta stands have enough room on them for 4-6 large targets, that way i can go a while without changing them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom