• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    For those that do not understand, the rules at Elk Neck state that all casings and hulls shall be removed. The sea of shells that everyone sees are there because most do not follow the rules. Signs are in place asking that you please remove your shotgun shells. There is no where for us to dispose of them as they cannot go to the landfill. We have an perspective Eagle Scout working on a solution as a project.

What was failed to be mentioned is that we were plowing snow and contemplating closing due to the weather, an RSO interacted with this group as well as they were the only people at the range. This was not a semi-auto gun so the statement was made to abide by the rules.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Out of all the shotgun clubs I've been to, I never noticed any of them having issue with hull removal, that includes clubs in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania.

If "no one" will take the hulls, why even have the shotgun platforms that piles up an impromptu landfill of hulls?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I know someone has to be told about littering when caught, but how could you not laugh as you gawk at the huge pile of hulls?

I was at Elk Neck once in the mid 90s and remember the huge pile back then. I think its going to cost time and money either way for a tractor with a bucket to scoop them out to go somewhere, or volunteers with toolbelts to dismantle the platforms.

Maybe extend the rifle range? Build in another handgun range? Maybe something like 3d Archery??

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Let me preface this by saying I know you guys are volunteer and, from volunteering at Oxford, I know, it's a sometimes thankless job.

That being said.

Whoever designed the shotgun area is not too bright. For those of you that don't know, it's an elevated platform (deck like). Hulls from a shotgun generally eject both sideways AND generally forward. Add any tailwind or left hand movement of the gun and they ALL go in a forward direction.

Now then, what you have is a literal SEA of hulls, easily into the thousands that are laying in a ditch, sometimes in puddles of water and mud. So, say someone were to shoot a few boxes, out of the 50, 12-15 fall forward (in the sea of hulls). Going downrange to retrieve those when there's already literally thousands laying doesn't make much sense.

They should start over (from scratch) or eliminate the shotgun area all together.

+2 that sea of shells in the mud gully has been there for years. Another reason I don't go to this range anymore.
    They made a really bad design. They should own up to it and fix it. No way would I go down into that pit to retrieve shells. I saw a dummy eject a spring out of an 870 there on one of my last times. He went down in there and almost broke an ankle.
    Elk Neck is really turning into an accident waiting to happen...

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    We will make a change and find a fix for the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    We will make a change and find a fix for the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Instead of an open railing, how about a solid wall so that the shells stay on the deck.

You would have to depend on people picking up their own shells when they were done, but very few would make it down there "accidently".

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'm confused, there is a post stating the landfill won't accept hulls, then we have another post claiming "no excuse to leave trash behind."

Does that mean people are supposed to take their trash with them as a rule there, or are there trash cans that people are supposed to use to throw away hulls, that someone later has to dumpster dive to get the hulls back out of the trash can before it goes to the landfill?

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    When I used to shoot at elk neck, I would walk to the pile and grab a bunch of hulls. I prolly dropped 50 in there and took 100 or more out. The problem with elk neck is whiny people complaing they need to fix it rather than taking some resposibilty and trying to help. I see these type threads all the time where people want to comlain about poor design, lack of staff, etc. Quit yer complaining and do something to make it better!

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Huh. Guess I'll take the bait.

You've seen the post. Now,... have you seen the AREA in question? Its a joke.

Bait? The only bait I see is the piss poor excuses everyone makes for not cleaning up their mess. How the area is or looks is not the problem. The joke is a bunch of ass clowns who think they are above the rules and the littering laws of the State of Maryland. So its a little wet and maybe even muddy from time to time. So is the entire range, so whats your point? Simply amazing you want to keep this up when you have clearly stated you don't use Elk Neck.

saltyphotog

Feb 19, 2012
    Some lattice between the rail and deck would eliminate a great deal of the problem of forward ejected hulls going over. I shoot there fairly often and admittedly thought the sign meant to remove the hulls from the decking onto the pile below as it's obvious they use a front end loader to scoop them up periodically. I figured the sign meant remove them from the deck to prevent the shooter from slipping and possibly discharging the gun accidentally. One day a Ranger saw my brother inlaw toss two hulls over the rail and he approached us, threatened us rudely with a $2000 fine. We talked and once we understood each other I can assure you I will never make the mistake again. That day we scooped up 2 or 3x what we shot and took them home with us. All I'm saying is the sign and obvious past practice of the ever growing pile below is misleading. Great range and I appreciate that. Since that day I've passed the word onto others around us to pack it in pack it out. The rifle range could use a push broom or something to encourage others to retrieve their spent brass. Elk Neck is a wonderful public range minus the idiots who abuse it and should be treated as such. There's not many places to shoot anymore and if you abuse it, you lose it.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Huh, friendly crew over there at ENSF, I'm missing out I guess! ;)

Anyone who wants to shoot ACTUAL targets thrown from high quality machines, stop up at Oxford Tuesday nights starting back up mid March. I assure you there won't be any tears over hulls. There's literally thousands a NIGHT shot there and no issues at all. Could be that we don't ask you to climb down into a pit to pick up your hulls.

Assclown out

Were actually quite friendly. Just tired of know it all's that haven't got a clue. Like was stated before, for someone who Elk Neck doesn't affect at all, you always seem to have such an interest. Have fun at Oxford. I'll steer clear of anyplace that has you as a member.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    There's at least 3 others in a 2 page thread that noticed the area sucks and was destined to fail from the first hull. A quick search will show probably more like DOZENS of people that won't go there for shooting of any kind becuase of the overall clientele and frequent major safety issues.

Which doesn't affect you at all. Is it that hard for you to understand? You have no fight in this. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find people that won't go to your precious Oxford that you're so proud of. In case you haven't read, the Head Ranger (ENSF) also said that he is looking at changes. But that doesn't seem to be good enough for you, the one person in this thread who it doesn't affect.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Looking into what? There's no issue with the area.:confused:

Since you want to cry like little babies, he said he is looking into changes. I guess everyone needs their hand held for them because its so hard to pick up trash. Truth be known you have been pissing and moaning about Elk Neck ever since you dropped out as a RSO recruit. Seems to me you are holding some kind of personal grudge cause just about everytime a thread pops up with a complaint, you pile on it. I guess thats why you continue to be so passionate about a place you have no connection with. So go ahead and keep playing your game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom