• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I don't know why I didn't post this up a month ago.. I forget that there are several members here who frequent Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area and use the excellent facilities up there.

I stopped by the range a few weeks ago to meet a buddy from work and sight in the ar15 and got wind that the DNR was now actively fining shooters for having more than 3 rounds in their magazines. Word on the street is that the fine is something like $150! IMO $150 is alot of moeny that could be spent on ammo and I'm not taking any chances.

As I understand it, and someone please chime in here if you know the details, semi-automatic rifles and shotguns are limited to 3 rounds in the magazine at a time. All other actions as well as handguns are exempt so the rule does not apply.

A guy at the next bench over warned me that he just saw a guy get fined by a Ranger just before I showed up. I personally feel it's wise to adhere to all rules and regulations at any shooting facilities at all times and Sleepy Creek is no exception. I've notified all my friends and family who use the range up there, but somehow I missed posting here on mdshooters. Sorry guys! Just a little heads ups ;) Hope I'm not too late! :o

Take care, and shoot safe! -hole punch

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    Only 3 rounds? That's a hunting regulation, not a firearms regulation. You can't have more than 3 rounds while hunting, so unless they've opened a season on the Black Ringed Cellulose Sheet, it sounds like they are in "quota filling" mode.

Unless the regs say "while on state owned property"?

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    When I go up to Western PA (north of Pittsburgh) to shoot with college buddies, we go to the state game lands range. They have a similar rule. 3 rounds in a rifle or shotgun, and 6 rounds in a handgun.

The range is geared towards hunters sighting in, and their logic to limiting the amount of rounds is so one person doesn't monopolize the range time. Since there are no RSO's, any shooter can declare a ceasefire for a target change.

It gets really annoying when someone is calling 'clear' every 5 minutes to run to the 100 yd targets to check grouping. Get a freaking scope!

Oh, and Topher, all the RSO's at cresap would crap their pants if they saw the practices that went on there.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    "Sleepy Creek strictly enforcing 3rnd/mag rule"

i assume.

you typing on a laptop? that touch pad gets me every now and then

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    When I go up to Western PA (north of Pittsburgh) to shoot with college buddies, we go to the state game lands range. They have a similar rule. 3 rounds in a rifle or shotgun, and 6 rounds in a handgun.

The range is geared towards hunters sighting in, and their logic to limiting the amount of rounds is so one person doesn't monopolize the range time. Since there are no RSO's, any shooter can declare a ceasefire for a target change.

It gets really annoying when someone is calling 'clear' every 5 minutes to run to the 100 yd targets to check grouping. Get a freaking scope!

Oh, and Topher, all the RSO's at cresap would crap their pants if they saw the practices that went on there.

My family has belonged to a private gun club in PA for years. Same deal with range supervision - there is none. When I joined the IWLA, I was like "What the hell is a Range Officer?". The gun club in PA doesn't have mag limits BUT you can only shoot guns that are legal for hunting in PA - that means no semi-auto rifles or handguns.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    they are probably doing this because apparently 3 guys were killed opening day up there since all the yahos go up there to hunt.

nobody in my school goes up there anymore because during deer season its just toooo freakin crowded.

they are most likley handing out fines too because of it being hunting season, once it gets warmer they will most likeley become more lax but you never know.

if your gonna go shoot shit, valley guns II off 81 in inwood has an indoor range but you gotta use their range safe ammo.

OR be like me and shoot in your backyard :D

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    they are probably doing this because apparently 3 guys were killed opening day up there since all the yahos go up there to hunt.

nobody in my school goes up there anymore because during deer season its just toooo freakin crowded.

they are most likley handing out fines too because of it being hunting season, once it gets warmer they will most likeley become more lax but you never know.

if your gonna go shoot shit, valley guns II off 81 in inwood has an indoor range but you gotta use their range safe ammo.

OR be like me and shoot in your backyard :D

whoa! i did not know about about anyone getting killed up there. i was UP THERE THAT DAY! Was gonna shoot at the range, forget it was the start of rifle season, blaze orage EVERYWHERE, said screw it and started driving around looking for Valley Guns II (didn't find it btw). Was it in the Martinsburg Journal???

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is there a sign at the range that specifies this 3 round rule? Or is it somewhere in the hunting regulations regarding shooting ranges?

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    it's posted right there at the range. there's eight benches in a roofed structure open on all sides and on one "side" hangs a board with all the posted rules, etc. (I somehow manage to hit my head on it ALL THE TIME) i have a picture of it around here somewhere if i can find it. It clearly states all semi-auto rifles and shotguns have a 3-round at a time limit.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    k , found it.

http://www.journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/512729.html?nav=5045

one flipped his ATV, one suffocated on fumes from his lantern(?) and the third died of old age.

man that place really IS crowded up there this time of year, huh?

From the AGL (Anti-gun-lobby)
    "And if they didnt have guns to hunt, they wouldn't have been out there in the first place, so guns are blamed for their death..."
    LOL (ok, just a joke, but someone would probably try and make this anyway)

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    From the AGL (Anti-gun-lobby)
    "And if they didnt have guns to hunt, they wouldn't have been out there in the first place, so guns are blamed for their death..."
    LOL (ok, just a joke, but someone would probably try and make this anyway)

Too complicated. Try "Another 3 dead from hunting accidents"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom