• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    You guys ever had a stand stolen?

Had my first one stolen late last season and I just ordered a replacement for it an hour ago and it got me thinking about it again.

My wife and I bought our first house, an ancient and small farm house in kinda sorta Western Maryland and it came with 5 acres of woods that are full of deer a lot of the time. Surrounded by croplands and farms. The woods have many old wooden stands present, in varying stages of decay, as well as an old forgotten climber at the base of a big oak that the tree has now split in half and has grown around to some degree. Bottom line, lots of people hunted here for many years and the property was vacant and undefended for the last 5 years.

Then I show up and set stands and put up no-tresspassing signs (at the suggestion of a neighbor who warned me there would be lots of folks in there if I did not, and some would probably still be there anyway, even with signs).

Anyway, so I set up a Lone Wolf lock-on stand above thick cover in a good spot near the edge of a field in a big pine tree and I cable it to the tree and use one of those sort of weather resistant Master locks. To get to the stand, some 30 feet up, you have to use those aluminum hang on steps that attach to the lag bolts I screwed in. I wanted it hard to get into and to steal. Nothing worse than finding someone sitting in your tree when you show up to climb it!

Then late last season I noticed that the stand was gone! What the heck! I guess they had a ladder and bolt cutters or a Sawzall and a carbide blade or something. I got pretty hot about it when I found that it was gone!

This time around, I am using a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Loc to prevent theft and 5 foot Kryptonite chain They will need a cutting torch to cut through it. Here it is, no more messing around!:

61SdsQ-lTHL._SL1000_.jpg

We did not live there last season as we were fixing the place up on weekends but we now live there so I will be around all the time pretty much from now on. Hopefully there won't be a repeat this year. Tough to keep people out of there it seems. Saw occasional boot tracks in there in the snow last shotgun season.

Any of you guys had a stand stolen? Ever catch the thief? Any advice for me?

These are the new, more forceful signs I put up, I am hopeful.

Tresspassing%20Sign.jpg

Probably need to set up a couple carefully hidden trail cams to see whats going on.

Chris

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I haven't had any stolen, but I have acquired a few that were on my grandfathers land which is posted "no hunting". They were pretty nice ones. I gave them to friends. Maybe if I get one next year I'll give them away as a karma.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Steal never, I've used other peoples when they weren't using them on public property.

Unfortunately if someone wants it they're going to steal it no matter the lock. Your chain won't withstand a 06 or greater bullet, that's a guarantee. The game camera idea........ :thumbsup:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not mine.. i have setup a ladder stand at our hunting ground my club lease... but not too far away.. another members stand got stolen.

I use climber most of the time now.. more comfy. :)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have 7 ladder stands and not a single one is chained. I always double my straps though. I am on private property also. You'd have to trek a distance from outside the property line to get to them. I don't recall every hearing of anyone having their stand stolen.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Patrol the property opening day of bow, and rifle and keep a close eye on it all through the season. When you catch someone trespassing take the no BS route prosecute them. Word will get out. People won't trespass.

You'll soon be known as a Richard in this case it is a good thing.

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013
    first time was year before last the only time in 27 years anything was ever bothered but trespassers are aways around till last year shotgun season when dnr was there every day so far so good but i bought bike cable locks and put on my stands

Goldslammer

Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    My hunting buddy had his stolen in Cambridge a few years ago.
    Mine was so deep in the woods nobody bothered it.

If you have time, I think it's better to build wooden stands.
    Get a few wooden pallets (usually free) and a stack of 2x4's and you can build several for less than the cost of a new one, and there's nothing worth stealing.

719791331.jpg

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek

Get a few wooden pallets (usually free) and a stack of 2x4's and you can build several for less than the cost of a new one, and there's nothing worth stealing.

719791331.jpg

a guy i work with at a different building had that same contraption built a couple years ago. wind kicked up good and the trees split and the whole thing came down with him still on it. ended up with 20 penny nails in his right kidney and ass cheek and to salt the wound he scratched the dipping on his muzzleloader.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

719791331.jpg

My brother (summitcnty) and I had our 2x4 home depot specials stolen way back in the day on our property in West Virginia. We didn't realize they were gone until 5am of opening day while we were searching the woods for the tree stands :sad20:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    a guy i work with at a different building had that same contraption built a couple years ago. wind kicked up good and the trees split and the whole thing came down with him still on it. ended up with 20 penny nails in his right kidney and ass cheek and to salt the wound he scratched the dipping on his muzzleloader.

Who was that? PM me.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Had 2 stolen years apart from different locations. Surrounded by other properties and some public land and nobody really seems to care where they wander during season or whose land they wander onto UNLESS somebody wanders on THEIR land. Yay!!

Be careful with your camera placement and concealment....don't wanna lose them too. (don't use flash cameras!!)

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    yep, a tree lounge. had it locked to a tree. apparently a survey crew on the next farm got a few on the farm they were surveying and came a few hundred yards on our side and got mine also. couldn't prove it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom