• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I don't think this was posted here yet.

I was having a lot of priming problems, which rarely occur, when I realized that every bad primer was in a Federal NT case. I noticed that they are crimped :mad54: After a bit of research, I found that the NT bullet is light and the NT "green" primer isn't quite hot enough (internet lore, I'm assuming it's true, it makes sense), so they have opened the flash hole. The larger flash hole makes the crimp necessary to prevent primer blow back.

Now I'll have to sort my brass even more thoroughly, adding the 9mm to removing the .45 Federal NT with the small primers. :rolleyes:

MH

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Winchester has a low lead/indoor safe 45ACP ammo, that has a large primer, with enlarged flash hole- but no crimp.

Ive found 9mm brass that is not NT, with crimped in primers. I think alot of that is for use in full auto weapons, VS an ignition issue for the large flash holes.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I see a fair amount of Federal crimped 9mm brass but have not looked at the flash hole. If there is resistance to the primer going in (on my Dillon 650), I pull the case and inspect it and ream the crimp right there ,return it to the shell plate and move on.
    Most of the crimped brass is Federal, with some WCC and rarely other stuff.
    I will have to compare flash holes.
    I have never had a primer back out and I shoot 2-300 rounds of reloaded 9mm per week, and I would assume some of that is Federal NT.
    DocAitch

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I've never had an issue loading Federal 9mm NT brass. I've reloaded atleast 500 pieces worth. In truth, I never even noticed a primer crimp. Primers seat as normal compared to any other 9mm brass.

d'Artagnan

Nov 4, 2008
    Ellicott City
    There are four types of FC NT 9mm Luger cases. From left to right, the oldest headstamped F C (over) 9MM LUGER NT with uncrimped pink-colored primer (pink-color non-toxic primers are produced by/for Norma), next FC NT (over) 9MM LUGER (note the changed orientation of NT) with crimped pink-colored primer -- then a switch to nickel-plated primers, rumored to be produced by Russia's Murom Apparatus Factory -- first FC NT (over) 9MM LUGER with crimped nickel-plated primer, and most recently FC NT (over) 9MM LUGER with uncrimped nickel-plated primer.

FCNT.jpg

I've seen some of the same combinations in FC NT 40 S&W and 45 AUTO but not all like in 9mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom