• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    This article is a little over a year old, but I haven't seen this mentioned here before.

More Than Half of Deer in NE Ohio Infected by Feral Cats

Toxoplasma gondii is a parasitic disease which is spread by cats, and cannot survive without cats around to spread it*, since it has a symbiotic relationship with cats and depend on them for their reproduction.

Deer in several states have started testing positive for Toxoplasma gondii - including nearby Pennsylvania - with concentrations of infected deer being higher near urban areas, where there are more feral cat colonies.

The upshot of all this is: To be safe, avoid eating any venison that isn't thoroughly cooked to 160F, or frozen at 5F for at least 3 days.

*Some cat lovers have denied that Toxoplasma gondii is specific to cats, but no proof exists that any other species spreads it. And even if it wasn't, the fact remains that Toxoplasma gondii is extremely prevalent in cats, both feral and domestic.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    A group called 'Friends of Felines' actively feeds feral cats in my neighborhood in Calvert county. Animal control officer says it's not against the law.
    Animal control in Charles county issued citations for people leaving food outside for feral cats.
    Ohio needs more coyotes.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    A group called 'Friends of Felines' actively feeds feral cats in my neighborhood in Calvert county. Animal control officer says it's not against the law.
    Animal control in Charles county issued citations for people leaving food outside for feral cats.
    Ohio needs more coyotes.

IMO, people who feed feral cat colonies are as mentally unbalanced as the cat hoarders who keep 100+ cats in their home in squalor and filth. Feral cat colonies are breeding grounds for a whole slew of feline diseases, not just T. gondii but FIV (the cat equivalent to HIV), feline leukemia, rabies, etc. They also spread these diseases out into native populations of wild animals, and decimate populations of small animals and birds.

Feeding feral cats is idiotic, irresponsible, and disastrous to the ecosystem.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    IMO, people who feed feral cat colonies are as mentally unbalanced as the cat hoarders who keep 100+ cats in their home in squalor and filth. Feral cat colonies are breeding grounds for a whole slew of feline diseases, not just T. gondii but FIV (the cat equivalent to HIV), feline leukemia, rabies, etc. They also spread these diseases out into native populations of wild animals, and decimate populations of small animals and birds.

Feeding feral cats is idiotic, irresponsible, and disastrous to the ecosystem.

I agree.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    We have two that the neighbors have fed for the last few years... Friendly enough, but they wreak havoc on trash days by tearing the bags and such. I also won't let the kids go near them.

If there was a Feral Cat Season, I have a silenced Sheridan .20 that'll take care of business.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I need to start making a list of things to worry about.
    So my son is headed home tomorrow with a cooler full of catfish. What's the best dipping sauce to take the edge off the PCBs?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would never in a million years recommend a suppressed .22 or a decent air gun as a means of controlling the population.

DevilDog82

Mar 25, 2016
    Those cats are a huge problem here in Maryland too. people need to stop feeding them as they continue to breed and increase in population. For those with elevated sheds or outbuildings, feral cats often live under there.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'm going to feed a stray cat tomorrow night. I keep the food in a box trap. Had one a few months ago pissing in my kids sand box and in the bushes.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Those cats are a huge problem here in Maryland too. people need to stop feeding them as they continue to breed and increase in population. For those with elevated sheds or outbuildings, feral cats often live under there.

I understand not wanting to spread disease, but there are some things to take in consideration.

Like it or not Feral cats are here to stay for the foreseeable future, at least here in Laurel.

I kid my GF about being a cat lady because she feeds about 10 feral cats. Most of them belong to ahole neighbors who can't afford to feed them.
    She has asked plenty of neighbors with outdoor cats to have them fixed. Most people just want to have cute kittens, then don't feed them and they turn into problems with regards to constant breeding and looking for food.

They have to be fixed and ear tipped, so animal control knows not to pick them up. She pays for the food, puts insulated crates out for the winter and has paid to fix several of the cats.

Some of our neighbors complain about trash bags being torn open, but here in Laurel with our HOA, you're supposed to have a trash can and only put it our on the curb the night before or the morning of trash day.

I haven't seen a mouse or rat lounging about in years. I have a bigger problem with people who have dogs and pick up their poop.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I understand not wanting to spread disease, but there are some things to take in consideration.

Like it or not Feral cats are here to stay for the foreseeable future, at least here in Laurel.

I kid my GF about being a cat lady because she feeds about 10 feral cats. Most of them belong to ahole neighbors who can't afford to feed them.
    She has asked plenty of neighbors with outdoor cats to have them fixed. Most people just want to have cute kittens, then don't feed them and they turn into problems with regards to constant breeding and looking for food.

They have to be fixed and ear tipped, so animal control knows not to pick them up. She pays for the food, puts insulated crates out for the winter and has paid to fix several of the cats.

Some of our neighbors complain about trash bags being torn open, but here in Laurel with our HOA, you're supposed to have a trash can and only put it our on the curb the night before or the morning of trash day.

I haven't seen a mouse or rat lounging about in years. I have a bigger problem with people who have dogs and pick up their poop.

Would you rather the dog owners don't pick up their poop?

BTW, does you GF pick up the cat poop?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.

You also may not see any other wildlife which should be in the area.
    The cats kill an amazing # of critters of all species. Research out there to back that statement up. It is almost a fable that they simply take care of the mice rats; they do, but everything else also goes.

I like cats fine but they need to be kept indoors and off my property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom