• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Not_Disapproved

Known Defiler
    Jul 3, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    After reading all the glowing reviews about Freestate Gun Range, I'm afraid going to have to whiz on the Positivity Parade with the first complaint post. I am a member and a regular customer who shoots there at least 3 times a week. In all fairness, I have to say that just about every positive review on here is true, Freestate is the preeminent gun range in Central MD.

Let me start off by saying, God bless volunteers. If it wasn't for volunteers there would be no pet rescue organizations and many churches and charities couldn't function. However, I'm starting to think that volunteerism and handguns is not the wisest combination. As you may know, Freestate uses volunteers to augment their staff of full-time employees. Basically, Mark, Randy, Dr. Bob, and Will are the primary full time employees and I believe that everyone else is "working" for free. This is problematic due to the fact that many of the volunteers have no idea what they are talking about, but they rarely let that discourage them from talking. It's kind of embarrassing when you recommend Freestate to a friend or coworker and then have them tell you that the employee they talked to was clueless. This has happened twice now, so I tell people to always ask for Mark, Randy, Will, or Bob, if they're looking to buy something.

Another issue I have with these volunteers, is when they insist on inspecting your bag. I've never had a full time employee do this, but I understand the need to keep steel cored ammo off the range. However, recently, one of the volunteers insisted that I remove every gun from my bag and display it to him. How this prevents contraband ammo, I'll never know, since an electron spectrograph would be required to determine whether I'd used steel ammo in them. What it does accomplish is analogous to a bank teller who counts out a withdrawal to you verbally: Everybody in the store now knows I've got over $2000 of guns on me. Thanks, dumbass. The icing on the cake was when the volunteer pulled out a magnet to test the ammo I'd brought. Apparently, the Federal 9mm box didn't ring any bells, despite the pallet of the stuff no more than 10' away from us. In fact, it was from said pallet where I bought it, so unless Freestate is selling contraband, no magnet is required. I don't think its unreasonable to have an employee recognize the "house" brand of ammo.

I've, also, heard several members complain about the fact that the volunteers are permitted to open carry in the store and I agree with them. In the unlikely event of an armed robbery, I'm more afraid of the volunteers than of the criminals. Amongst the full time employees, you have a retired police officer, a decorated combat veteran, and an ex-Olympic shooter. If that doesn't suffice, there's nothing an armed volunteer can do to improve the situation and plenty that could make a bad situation worse.

Regardless, as I've already stated, Freestate is, in my opinion, the best indoor range in the area, and I've been to all of them. Don't let anything that I've said here dissuade you from going there, just be sure to talk to a full time employee if you've got something serious in mind or you think a volunteer is doing something dumb.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    You lost me at the people shouldn't open carry part... I think everybody should be able to open carry, as long as they have pretty guns.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You must be a little hard headed. There are some obvious exploratory reasons why they would still run the magnet over your ammo even when it's in it's non-magnetic wal mart cheap brand plinking box. I would venture to assume someone would fill a Remington UMC box full of steel core ammo.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I can see the part about inspecting any ammo. At another area range in the past, a range where they allow 00 buck on the range, they've had problems with people putting birdshot in buckshot boxes and trying to take it into the range. Only takes one clown like that to hurt somebody. Steel core ammo can not only damage the range, it can ricochet and kill someone on the firing line. Unlikely? Probably. Impossible? No. I shoot with my son on that range, I don't mind the strictness on ammo. Just my .02.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    PapiBarcelona said:
    You must be a little hard headed. There are some obvious exploratory reasons why they would still run the magnet over your ammo even when it's in it's non-magnetic wal mart cheap brand plinking box. I would venture to assume someone would fill a Remington UMC box full of steel core ammo.

Somebody did do that to try and get past the rules, which is why all ammo is checked now.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I like alot of the part time employees Ive met. I know some of them dont know all the ins and outs, but nothing major. I wouldnt want to work in a shop/range without carrying weather im full time, part time or voluteer. I dont see the problem in checking guns and ammo either. Some people sneak the banned ammo in other boxes. Some people bring in guns with loaded mags which is a big no-no. I was just in there yesterday when some jerk got all ignorant with an employee when he was politely asked to see the guns and ammo. The man got mad, threw his bag on the glass top and proceeded to pull every gun out, heavily dropping each one onto the glass. The employee ask "do you know what we are looking for" and was met with "do you know what you are looking at". Gotta hand it to the employee, kept a smile the whole time.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I open carry an AK sometimes at Scotts Gunsmithing (I work there). If carrying guns in a gun range or gun shop offends you then you need to find another hobby.

Your original post is why many gunstore employees eventually become dicks, well because after dealing with B.S. they get sick of being nice.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    My one complaint along these lines is twice now, with two different part time employees; I have opened my pistol cases for inspection and the employee has picked my gun up without asking to check that it's clear. I don't like people I don't know touching my guns. Granted both were gentile with them, but still, if you want to see that it's clear ask me and I'll clear it for you.

Other than that, I don't mind the safety checks. I was just at a different range the other day, that doesn't do ammo checks, and someone had a deformed slug ricochet back at him.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My one complaint along these lines is twice now, with two different part time employees; I have opened my pistol cases for inspection and the employee has picked my gun up without asking to check that it's clear. I don't like people I don't know touching my guns. Granted both were gentile with them, but still, if you want to see that it's clear ask me and I'll clear it for you.

Put a chamber flag in it then, then they can visually see its unloaded without handling it.

Ranges often inspect weapons, its normal.

If a customer brings a firearm to the shop I work at once the case is open it goes to my hands. I wont allow someone to handle a weapon around me that could be loaded if I dont know the owner VERY well. About1 out of 20 guns that I take control of are loaded, when the owner said they were "clear".

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If these are your "issues" Freestate is doing pretty good.

If you've had good luck with an employee tell your buddies to go to Freestate and ask to speak with _______. When I recommend a car salesman I dont say "Go to Koons". I say go speak with ____________.

Your ammo complaint isnt a complaint at all. You can easily switch out ammo...I'd check it.

If open carrying makes your nervous dont look next to you in the range booth...those guys all have scary guns.

Someone post the No new thread GIF.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Put a chamber flag in it then, then they can visually see its unloaded without handling it.

Ranges often inspect weapons, its normal.

If a customer brings a firearm to the shop I work at once the case is open it goes to my hands. I wont allow someone to handle a weapon around me that could be loaded if I dont know the owner VERY well. About1 out of 20 guns that I take control of are loaded, when the owner said they were "clear".

Not trying to say you're wrong but when I went to your shop I (believe) I cleared the weapon and handed it to you. Could be wrong though. Of course that's par for the course for me. I always clear weapons before handing them over. I usually make them non-functional too. Breaking open an AR, taking the bolt out etc.

I've also gotten my grubby little paws on a weapon at my local FFL and done the safety check and once found a live round. 9mm in a .40 so it happens. Like Chad says buy a chamber flag.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Don't let anything that I've said here dissuade you from going there

Then why post this? :sad20:
    For post number 6 grab some sack and post a negative post and stick to it!
    don't grovel at the end and say "But I really like the place"

I will never understand why people complain about a place and then they either keep going back or after they complain say they love it so no feelings are hurt.....

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Not trying to say you're wrong but when I went to your shop I (believe) I cleared the weapon and handed it to you. Could be wrong though. Of course that's par for the course for me. I always clear weapons before handing them over. I usually make them non-functional too. Breaking open an AR, taking the bolt out etc.

I've also gotten my grubby little paws on a weapon at my local FFL and done the safety check and once found a live round. 9mm in a .40 so it happens. Like Chad says buy a chamber flag.

Maybe next time I'll just remove the slide before I get there

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I've, also, heard several members complain about the fact that the volunteers are permitted to open carry in the store and I agree with them.

Usually, claiming that your viewpoint is supported by "several members" (anonymous, of course) is a sign that you know what you're saying won't be well received, so you pop a smoke grenade and claim there's more than just you behind it.

What would your reaction be if you were traveling and went to get a bite to eat or a cappuccino latte, and noticed the guy in front of you at the counter was heeled? You don't know what kind of training he's had, if any. As far as you'd know, he's a total n00b. Would you complain about that too? Would you call the local Five-O and demand they make the guy prove he's qualified to carry?

Look, friend, you might be the nicest guy in the world, but you've already managed to come across as a snooty know-it-all, not to mention blowing your nose on the best damn shooting range in the Mid-Atlantic States. Don't be surprised if we don't gather you to our bosoms, weeping for joy.

ADD: I just checked your profile, and you're an engineer. Well, hell, no wonder you're lacking in social skills. I'll keep it in mind and give you a little more slack. A little.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I don't see much wrong with what you were complaining about.

Many/most ranges inspect guns.
    ~Solution: Deal with it
    This range inspects all ammo, takes 2 seconds (including .22lr)...people are sneaky
    ~Solution: Deal with it
    People carrying guns scares you, grats you're a Fudd?
    ~Solution: Re-evaluate your ideas of liberty
    Valid argument about poorly trained volunteers, but in all honesty how many of us "knew everything" before learning everything we now know.
    ~Solution: When someone says something, educate them

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    when im at an indoor range, i absolutely understand my firearm, and ammo will checked. i dont need a reason, its their establishment, and their policy. inspect away! also, im glad people are carrying in there. its refreshing. just wait until everyone can carry OUTSIDE of there!

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I've never had my guns touched by anyone at freestate without asking first. I open my bag, keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction, and open the action. Sometimes they ask to get a better look, but not often.

Ask anyone who has spent any time working in firearms retail, and they likely know someone who was killed working the counter in a gun shop. If I worked there, id be carrying as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom