• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Perhaps people who are routinely carrying are wondering whether it's better to leave their gun unattended in a parked car, or have it safely and discreetly under their control.

How do you feel about leaving your gun in your car?

For myself, I've been in and out of hospitals quite a bit. Just spent most of this past weekend hanging around one. For what it's worth, I've been leaving my gun locked on the car since October 1. I may or may not have just carried it discreetly before that date.
    I did it today.

Or just don't take it if it's such a dilemma.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I did it today.

Meaning you left it in your car? Aren't you in Florida or some other state not subject to SB1?

Perhaps people are just looking for some mature and respectful discussion of how others are navigating the restrictions of SB1. Isn't that what Don intended for this forum?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Meaning you left it in your car? Aren't you in Florida or some other state not subject to SB1?

Perhaps people are just looking for some mature and respectful discussion of how others are navigating the restrictions of SB1. Isn't that what Don intended for this forum?
    I'll do it in Maryland if I want and have.

So my opinion that I don't think people should carry a gun into a doctor's office, if they have to query the Internet, is not a valid opinion? Seems like a lot of work. I don't carry into the doctor's office because I think most who work in a place of healing would look down on it and I don't need to harsh their mellow. That's my opinion on doctor office carry.
    What good are opinions if they're all the same?
    Just like when someone posts a target and everyone blathers "great shooting!", someone can't say it looks like crap?

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    Visited the hospital this morning. Removed my pistol from IWB holster and locked it in the console, leaving the holster on my belt. Went inside. Came back out, retrieved pistol from the console, replaced it in my holster, drove away. Unless the law against carrying inside a hospital changes, it's not worth the risk to me.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Lockbox from metal ammo can. Bike cable and padlock to hasp on can. Loop cable under front seat. Shove can under seat. You can make it for about $20 and looks more rugged than the commercial ones

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Lockbox from metal ammo can. Bike cable and padlock to hasp on can. Loop cable under front seat. Shove can under seat. You can make it for about $20 and looks more rugged than the commercial ones
    Anything keeps the casual thief from getting stuff.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'll do it in Maryland if I want and have.

So my opinion that I don't think people should carry a gun into a doctor's office, if they have to query the Internet, is not a valid opinion? Seems like a lot of work. I don't carry into the doctor's office because I think most who work in a place of healing would look down on it and I don't need to harsh their mellow. That's my opinion on doctor office carry.
    What good are opinions if they're all the same?
    Just like when someone posts a target and everyone blathers "great shooting!", someone can't say it looks like crap?

No one suggested your opinion wasn't valid. You didn't really express it very clearly though. You did come across as putting down the OP for asking the question. I'm sure you didn't intend it that way.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I know of at least 3 docs who were shot in their office or hospital…Know many more who escaped before being shot. Drugs, psychotic people, and in one instance a bad outcome.
    Interesting - any news articles on these shootings?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Interesting - any news articles on these shootings?

GOOGLE lists many more.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    When I lock my gun in lockbox in vehicle, I drop the mag and take it with me. If someone does get gun, it isn’t readily usable.

photoshooter

Mar 22, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    11,143 vehicles stolen in Maryland in 2021 (latest statistics from MSP)
    according to FBI most popular vehicle Ford Pick Up -2nd Chevy Pick Up
    hidden or secured in a car safe doesn't matter when they steal the whole thing
    take it in - leave it home - but not in the vehicle

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    11,143 vehicles stolen in Maryland in 2021 (latest statistics from MSP)
    according to FBI most popular vehicle Ford Pick Up -2nd Chevy Pick Up
    hidden or secured in a car safe doesn't matter when they steal the whole thing
    take it in - leave it home - but not in the vehicle
    I ride a bicycle and don't own a gun .. and need to stop reading the fbi reports.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Personally I would not carry in a hospital. If I knew I was going to a hospital and right back home, I would not carry, at all. If there was an unanticipated visit to a hospital I would lock the weapon up under the spare tire area if possible.

Had to visit my DIL at Hopkins Bayview ER a few months ago. Place was loaded with security and metal detectors.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Metal detectors are at JH East Baltimore (main hospital) and Bayview ERs, but not their regular entrances. No detectors at Carroll County for the main entrance; no idea about ER.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    People fear for their lives in a doctor's office for some reason.
    I was working in a pain management clinic in Baltimore one day last year and one of their disgruntled patients (something to do with their perscriptions) threatened to come back and "shoot all you mother f***ers". Police came and stuck around until quiting time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom