• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Firearms Ownership Verification for Banned Firearms
    What with the ban and all going into effect on the 1st of October and the requirement that any banned firearm must be in the state at that time or be forever banished from the State, I believe that I can assist those Maryland firearms owners who have soon-to-be-banned firearms that were not purchased under Maryland's regulatory scheme (i.e., Maryland has no record of your ownership).

I am offering any concerned owner the opportunity to have me prepare an affidavit (an official, sworn statement recognized in Courts of law) attesting to said owner's possession of said soon-to-be-banned firearm in the State of Maryland prior to October 1st. The affidavit will contain a technical description of the firearm and a picture of owner holding said firearm. I am willing to offer this service for really really cheap but I haven't decided on a price.

Is anyone interested in this service and how much do you think is a fair price for the preparation and notarization of said affidavit?

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Wouldn't the burden of proof be on the state? I'm confused...

Sure it would but do you really want it to get that far? What if you could produce an affidavit for the police that was prepared well before they keyed in on you? Moreover, all the State needs to establish is that you A. possess the firearm; and B. they have no record of you owning it prior to the ban. Sure would be nice to have absolute proof that the State is talking through its hat, wouldn't it?

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Wouldn't the burden of proof be on the state? I'm confused...

It's nice to have something in your backpocket just in case. I'm preparing some info and pics myself with date stamps. I'm gonna send my packet of info to myself certified mail and leave it unopened in my safe. Hopefully I'll never need it.

Luigi

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2010
    Sure it would but do you really want it to get that far? What if you could produce an affidavit for the police that was prepared well before they keyed in on you? Moreover, all the State needs to establish is that you A. possess the firearm; and B. they have no record of you owning it prior to the ban. Sure would be nice to have absolute proof that the State is talking through its hat, wouldn't it?

Obviously, I am not a lawyer. I'm not trying to be an ass either, but why are they keying in on someone? If the MSP doesn't have a record of it being purchased after Oct 1, how could they charge you?

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    Spoke to local police officer about this very issue. He stated that the burden of proof is on the state, not the gun owner after Oct. 1. This is based on 4th Amendment constitutional rights. My son who is studying to be an attorney agreed.

dejacks

Apr 23, 2013
    Rusty Shackleford has a point. It does not hurt to be a little proactive. Documenting legal possession just might be a smart move. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Obviously, I am not a lawyer. I'm not trying to be an ass either, but why are they keying in on someone? If the MSP doesn't have a record of it being purchased after Oct 1, how could they charge you?

Do you ever transport your firearms? If so, something like a simple traffic stop could end up in a LEO discovering your firearms. Let the legal chaos continue from there. YOU will be on the hook to pay an attorney to defend you.

Perhaps a search warrant or break-in occurs at your residence. If Law Enforcement observes firearms during their investigation they may believe they have discovered banned firearms. This may lead to you defending yourself against bogus charges. Again without some paperwork it could end up costly.

Rustys idea is what I would call "Non-Informed LEO Insurance" or "Protect my arse from Antigun Maryland A-Hole Prosecutor Insurance"

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I already have pics of all my firearms along with scanned copies of all my paperwork but it would be real nice to have an affidavit from a lawyer that would be admissible in court.
    I really like the Idea.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Well Rusty, I have been thinking about how much I am going to charge for my services too. Wouldn't it be a hoot, if we charged nothing, but took gratuity? The state is banking on the fact most folks won't be able to afford the luxery of OUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS. In fact, I testified before committee that sb281 and HB-something or other, would greatly affect those who are on low income, fixed income and the such. Those, who are in areas of increased violent crime, of every ethnic group and at any given point in MD as a whole. While most of us instructors see these new regs as a boom for our industry, most of us are pissed off that the STATE will dictate who and who cannot exercise their second amendment right simply because they can't afford it. The HQL has a four hour training requirement, of which I am qualified/ certified to do, but at what price? Shove it back to Owe'Malley and charge NOTHING. Let it be known that gratuity is expected for services. But what is "fair" gratuity?

Sirex