• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    So a lot of us carry a first aid kit in our cars. Some of us just want to be prepared for possible problems. Some of us want to be ready for a SHTF event. Some of us (like me) are somewhere in the middle.

So I'm curious what you consider to be essential for a car first aid kit. Most of us know that we need things like bandaids, gauze, tape and antibiotic ointment. But what do you feel is required to be in your first aid kit?

Besides the Band-aids, tape and gauze, my camper first aid kit has an "Israeli" bandage, tourniquet and additional wound wraps. But what do you guys think is required in a vehicle first aid kit?

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    A Good and Sharp small knife that's kept Good and Sharp. A quality pair of tweezers too.

Little tubes of blood clotting goop. Rubbing alcohol. Hydrogen peroxide. Bottled water. Long pork seasoning. Just in case.

A roll of one inch wide painters tape. In my best FJB, I'm not joking. Band-aids are beyond worthless. I've wrapped my bloody hands, fingers and knuckles in clean paper towels with Neosporin smeared on them for decades. Thinking about upgrading to Gorilla tape.

Neosporin. Neosporin. Neosporin. The kind that has pain killer stuff in it.

Did I mention Neosporin?

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    What to include depends on what your level of first aid knowledge and training is, as well as what you would be willing to take on. Some people that means band aids are as complicated as they need however other people are prepared for advanced EMS activities.

Take a look at what is included in various commercial first aid kits and ask yourself do I know how to properly use that and would I actually use it to treat someone.

Links:
    Red Cross First Aid Kits

Advanced First Aid Kits

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Face Mask.

In bold.
    My inclusion of the face mask wasn't to appease Fauci but rather imagine this scenario:

You roll up on someone with with a bleeding wound and you have no idea their HIV or tuberculous status. Gloves and face mask would allow you to at least touch the person with reduced risk of transmission.

Sorry I missed your bolding. I don't usually expand my own posts and this is how it was shown to me:

1711122382874.png

I see your new to the forum. Welcome and we look forward to meeting you at our next meet up.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I have a blowout kit under my truck seat, but 99% of our usage in first aid is:

Bandaids, gauze and tape
    Benadryl, pill and cream
    Painkillers
    Antibiotic ointment
    Sunburn
    Cold medicine

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    My inclusion of the face mask wasn't to appease Fauci but rather imagine this scenario:

You roll up on someone with with a bleeding wound and you have no idea their HIV or tuberculous status. Gloves and face mask would allow you to at least touch the person with reduced risk of transmission.

Sorry I missed your bolding. I don't usually expand my own posts and this is how it was shown to me:

View attachment 461606

I see your new to the forum. Welcome and we look forward to meeting you at our next meet up.
    I understand you're not in support of Fauci or Xi.

Just cracking wise about masks.

I know why you included masks.

Be well.

PS: Being reported that Ronna, Grouper Lips, McDaniel is going to work for NBC news. If I had a shock face pic, this is where I'd post it.

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Old Bay works for that too , doesn't it ?
    Old Bay works on everything, including ice cream.
    What to include depends on what your level of first aid knowledge and training is, as well as what you would be willing to take on. Some people that means band aids are as complicated as they need however other people are prepared for advanced EMS activities.
    I did quite a bit of first aid training years ago. I'm looking for some additional training. But anything I put in there, I would be willing to learn about and train with.

I'm in the process of looking at what first aid training is available in my area.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Old Bay works on everything, including ice cream.

I did quite a bit of first aid training years ago. I'm looking for some additional training. But anything I put in there, I would be willing to learn about and train with.

I'm in the process of looking at what first aid training is available in my area.
    The Red Cross has classes in quite an assortment of subjects:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    My vehicle specific stuff is more for MVAs and the like. I have a boo-boo kit in my backpack.

Car kit has:
    Tourniquets
    Chest Seals
    Combat Gauze
    Regular wound-packing gauze
    ACE wraps
    Shears
    Chest Decompression Needle
    NPAs with Lube

I do not have the training to use the decompression needle or NPA, but maybe someone would be around that did. Don't take up much space in the kit. I do need to get my fat ass out there and take a stop the bleed course or something of the sort.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My vehicle specific stuff is more for MVAs and the like. I have a boo-boo kit in my backpack.

Car kit has:
    Tourniquets
    Chest Seals
    Combat Gauze
    Regular wound-packing gauze
    ACE wraps
    Shears
    Chest Decompression Needle
    NPAs with Lube

I do not have the training to use the decompression needle or NPA, but maybe someone would be around that did. Don't take up much space in the kit. I do need to get my fat ass out there and take a stop the bleed course or something of the sort.
    This is my basic IFAK, less the thoracic needle and the airway. I'm not trained on either.
    Alias, don't forget gloves, face masks, and a small LED flashlight, small enough to hold it in your teeth while you work. I wrap mine in tape for comfort.

Chest needles only buy a little more time. Keep that in mind.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Visit your local Volunteer Fire Station. https://harfordvolunteer.com/

If you join, you can take the full EMT class- for free.

Stick around for a while (one night per week, after training) and earn a $7,000 tax credit every year.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A Good and Sharp small knife that's kept Good and Sharp. A quality pair of tweezers too.

Little tubes of blood clotting goop. Rubbing alcohol. Hydrogen peroxide. Bottled water. Long pork seasoning. Just in case.

A roll of one inch wide painters tape. In my best FJB, I'm not joking. Band-aids are beyond worthless. I've wrapped my bloody hands, fingers and knuckles in clean paper towels with Neosporin smeared on them for decades. Thinking about upgrading to Gorilla tape.

Neosporin. Neosporin. Neosporin. The kind that has pain killer stuff in it.

Did I mention Neosporin?
    Reminds me of the day I shot a 1 1/2-2 inch finish nail through the meat only part of my left index finger on a blowout/double tap piece of oak trim. Had to cut the nail head off with dikes, and then pull the nail through. Put antibiotic ointment, some napkin and electrical tape on it and worked the rest of the day. Saw my Dr the next day or so. Got Tetanus shot and a "good job" from the Dr. she saw no infection or anything.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    This is my basic IFAK, less the thoracic needle and the airway. I'm not trained on either.
    Alias, don't forget gloves, face masks, and a small LED flashlight, small enough to hold it in your teeth while you work. I wrap mine in tape for comfort.

Chest needles only buy a little more time. Keep that in mind.
    I have nitrile gloves in there, forgot to mention. Good points on the facemask and light. I'll add them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom