• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I had the day off the other day, I spent the day at the range to test my first rifle reloads..
    Rifle: AR15 20" 1/9 twist barrel.
    Bullet: Sierra 52gr HPBT
    Case: Rem
    Primer: CCI SR
    Powder: Varget
    Charge: 25.1, 25.3, 25.6, 26, 26.3
    I fired all shots from a bench at 100 yards, did not have a rifle rest. So I used a bi-pod and the butt in my shoulder.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    26 gr. Nice little group.

+1 for the 26 grain group!

I'm not an AR guy, but normally, I'd tell someone shooting that rate of twist to try 55 grains - 62 grain projectiles. 52 gr projectiles are more often good from 1 in 10 to 1 in 12". (My rem 700 V LOVES 52 gr Sierra HPs - It's 1 in 12"). But man oh, man, it will be really hard to improve on that 26 gr group.

Kind'a interesting how the group seemed to open up from the 25.3 to the 25.6 then tighten again at 26.0. If I were you I'd do a couple 5 shot groups at 26 to be sure it's holding that tight (or at least a couple more 3 shot groups). If so, that looks like a winner and I wouldn't play with it more, unless it would be with .1 gr increments clustering around the 26.0 gr load. What did the 26.3 gr loads do?

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010

Kind'a interesting how the group seemed to open up from the 25.3 to the 25.6 then tighten again at 26.0. If I were you I'd do a couple 5 shot groups at 26 to be sure it's holding that tight (or at least a couple more 3 shot groups). If so, that looks like a winner and I wouldn't play with it more, unless it would be with .1 gr increments clustering around the 26.0 gr load. What did the 26.3 gr loads do?

The opening and tightening may be me, shooting off a bi-pod with stock in my shoulder. I shot a few strings of the 26.0gr they were the best. Then I shot a few strings at 200 yards, grouping were 2"... I'll try some more at 26.0gr, I'm satisfied with this load..:thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

I'm not an AR guy, but normally, I'd tell someone shooting that rate of twist to try 55 grains - 62 grain projectiles. 52 gr projectiles are more often good from 1 in 10 to 1 in 12". (My rem 700 V LOVES 52 gr Sierra HPs - It's 1 in 12"). But man oh, man, it will be really hard to improve on that 26 gr group.

The opening and tightening may be me, shooting off a bi-pod with stock in my shoulder. I shot a few strings of the 26.0gr they were the best. Then I shot a few strings at 200 yards, grouping were 2"... I'll try some more at 26.0gr, I'm satisfied with
    this load..:thumbsup:

If I remember correctly my 6.8 SPC did the same thing when I loaded 110 gr. Hornady, it opened up and then tightened up again.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Nice shooting OP! I haven't found a good load for my AR yet....still working. I have irons and a tough trigger so I wonder how much is me.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    OP:

There appears to be something terribly 'wrong' with that rifle. Possibly the bore is larger than .223/.224, that's why your groups are so large.
    (Yeah, that's it. The hole in the barrel is too big for the boolits!!)

I tell ya what........ I'll take that rifle off your hands, for say....... $50.00 cash, then you won't have to worry 'bout trying to make it shoot small groups.

:innocent0 :D

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    OP:

There appears to be something terribly 'wrong' with that rifle. Possibly the bore is larger than .223/.224, that's why your groups are so large.
    (Yeah, that's it. The hole in the barrel is too big for the boolits!!)

I tell ya what........ I'll take that rifle off your hands, for say....... $50.00 cash, then you won't have to worry 'bout trying to make it shoot small groups.

:innocent0 :D

:lol2: I think I'll keep it and save you $50...

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    One thing I've noticed when reloading for my AR (16 inch 1-9 twist) is that the 55gr Midway Dogtown plinkers over AR-COMP can shoot just as accurately at 100 yards for much less money than the Hornady/Sierra target/ballistic tip varmint bullets. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655304

And of course the regular 55gr Hornady FMJ's w/Cannelure shoot very nicely when loaded over varget.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    One thing I've noticed when reloading for my AR (16 inch 1-9 twist) is that the 55gr Midway Dogtown plinkers over AR-COMP can shoot just as accurately at 100 yards for much less money than the Hornady/Sierra target/ballistic tip varmint bullets. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655304

And of course the regular 55gr Hornady FMJ's w/Cannelure shoot very nicely when loaded over varget.

I have a 1000 55gr Hornady FMJ-BT w/Cannelure. Those are next to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom