• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    Im interested in building an ar-15. This will be my first build with any gun. Can any one give me a list of parts ill be lookin for and maybe how much i should expect to spend (the whole reason why im doin a build is to save money so im not lookin for parts thatll blow the bank) Thanks for any and all help.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Right now, Id say skip the build and hope that you can find a complete rifle. Gun Connection has one on the shelf. A lot of parts are b/o and over priced right now. It could take a very long time to build and you still wont save that much money if any at all.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I just did my first build and glad I did. You'll need the stripped lower, LPK a stock and an upper. If your not a gunsmith then buy your upper assembled with the barrel already attached.

Assembling the lower with the Lower Parts Kit is very easy. I did mine with a hammer, screwdriver, and needle-nose pliers. Follow the videos online referenced in other threads on this forum.

The best part of doing it yourself is you can buy the parts as you have money for them. My stripped lower cost me $175 and the rest of the gun (minus magazines) was $600. If your not in a hurry, you can still get good prices but you are going to wait 4-6 months for them to be delivered. If you need it sooner you'll pay a lot more.

Have fun and ask lots of questions.

tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    All i want to know are what the parts on an ar are ive searched the sight and all it is is kit recomendations. I dont need to know what kits i need or any thing im just lookin for a synopsis

tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    I just did my first build and glad I did. You'll need the stripped lower, LPK a stock and an upper. If your not a gunsmith then buy your upper assembled with the barrel already attached.

Assembling the lower with the Lower Parts Kit is very easy. I did mine with a hammer, screwdriver, and needle-nose pliers. Follow the videos online referenced in other threads on this forum.

The best part of doing it yourself is you can buy the parts as you have money for them. My stripped lower cost me $175 and the rest of the gun (minus magazines) was $600. If your not in a hurry, you can still get good prices but you are going to wait 4-6 months for them to be delivered. If you need it sooner you'll pay a lot more.

thank you for the positive help. This is the kind of help i was looking for :D

tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    actually here's my thread that covers a lower

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=19608

all you would need is a rifle cal upper. to go 9mm or .22lr you'd need to change out the bolt (from my understanding)

Thats a good deal!
    Just a question i thought of as im looking at uppers, Is it gonna cost more to buy a stripped upper and barrel seprate then get a gun smith to instal the barrel then it would be to buy an upper with a barrel already on?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

Gamer_jim has good advice!! if you want to save $$ you can get it to about $600

If you can find an AR kit, it will come with your choice of upper assembly, lower parts kit and choice of stock. my brother ordered from Doublestar and it ran him $499 and 8 weeks to ship which is pretty good now. Essential Arms has lower for @ $100, pay for shipping and transfer....you're total will be under #$600

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    AIM has Superior Arms S-15 lowers in stock, only $89.95. Not sure of their reputation but it is nice to see them below what some were selling for back a few months.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    AIM has Superior Arms S-15 lowers in stock, only $89.95. Not sure of their reputation but it is nice to see them below what some were selling for back a few months.

I built on a SA lower and didn't have any problems. I know there are issues with Pmags not fitting in the magwell. I odn't use Pmags so its not an issue

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    I built on a SA lower and didn't have any problems. I know there are issues with Pmags not fitting in the magwell. I odn't use Pmags so its not an issue

Insert the Pmag until about an inch from seated in the mag well. Give it a good hard hit on the bottom, driving it in. Do this 3-4 times and they'll fit just fine.

Or you can trim the material off a little at a time until they fit.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Insert the Pmag until about an inch from seated in the mag well. Give it a good hard hit on the bottom, driving it in. Do this 3-4 times and they'll fit just fine.

Or you can trim the material off a little at a time until they fit.

not an issue for me....i don't own any but its good to know.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm in the process of building three right now. Barrels are really the only thing that's hard to find. If you buy a complete upper that makes it much easier but I like doing things the hard way. I'm building mine so I can get exactly what I whant rather than trying to save money. I've still managed to keep all my builds under 1K$ complete.

tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    Ive found an afordibal lower but im still trying to find an upper that that wont send me over $600 or $700. Can any one help?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'm in the process of building three right now. Barrels are really the only thing that's hard to find. If you buy a complete upper that makes it much easier but I like doing things the hard way. I'm building mine so I can get exactly what I whant rather than trying to save money. I've still managed to keep all my builds under 1K$ complete.

Russ...you're lowers look excellent. makes me want to build an upper from scratch. I called DTI and they said barrels are in short right now.

have you tried Superior Barrels? Looks they are in stock

http://www.superiorbarrels.com/

http://www.shop.superiorbarrels.com...67D55464EFD669DDC2.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=11

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I found an RRA varminter which is exactly what I'm looking for. These builds are very specific. I brainstormed each part on each rifle. I'm looking for a 24" Lothar barrel right now. I've found if you look hard enough you can find anything. I found that RRA barrel for 40$ less than retail. Not bad in todays world of inflated prices. Thanks for the link. The third lower is needing a barrel and I think they might have what I'm after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom