• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    Im trying to understand why I keep hearing that getting a CCW From Utah is better than getting one from Florida. Whats the difference is what i really want to know.

Here's the states i travel to most: Colorado, PA, VA, Florida, Texas, Montana, Kansas.

The only thing i can really tell is that i'd have to be a FL resident in order to carry in Colorado (which is one of the top visited states i go to) if i go with a FL ccw. If i go with a Utah one, i only lose Kansas, which is near the bottom of my most traveled to.

Other than that, is there ease of acquiring them factors, does it matter that my father in law is a LEO in Florida?

give me what im missing fella's

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Your not really missing anything. The application process is about the same. The FL permit cost more but is good for 7 years vs. the UT permit which cost less and is good for 5 years. If you want to cover FL and KS and you only want to get one permit than you will want the FL permit. I suggest getting both permits to cover as many states as possible. FL training requirement is easy to fulfill and UT requires that you take a class from a UT certified instructor. I am a UT insturctor and have classes scheduled. There are other instructors here as well. I charge more than the others but offer a one stop shop. My class includes, finger prints, passport photo's, notary service, a certificate of completion that will be accepted by FL and I will even mail your completed UT application in for you at the end of the class. Mdeng

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Im trying to understand why I keep hearing that getting a CCW From Utah is better than getting one from Florida. Whats the difference is what i really want to know.

Here's the states i travel to most: Colorado, PA, VA, Florida, Texas, Montana, Kansas.

The only thing i can really tell is that i'd have to be a FL resident in order to carry in Colorado (which is one of the top visited states i go to) if i go with a FL ccw. If i go with a Utah one, i only lose Kansas, which is near the bottom of my most traveled to.

Other than that, is there ease of acquiring them factors, does it matter that my father in law is a LEO in Florida?

give me what im missing fella's

According to this link:
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

You won't be able to carry in Colorado with a Utah non resident permit, so if you go with the Florida permit at least you can still carry there.
    Also if you were in the military you can use your DD-214 to satisfy the training requirements.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to this link:

You won't be able to carry in Colorado with a Utah non resident permit, so if you go with the Florida permit at least you can still carry there.
    Also if you were in the military you can use your DD-214 to satisfy the training requirements.

Colorado does not accept any non resident permit , and they do not honor FL at all, at least according to Handgun Law web site. USA Carry site says they do. But it's moot since Colorado does NOT recognize non resident permits from any state. If you are not a resident of a state they honor, you're out of luck. You could carry in FL as mentioned. IANAL

source

HAND GUN LAW

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to this link:

Be very careful with this info. USA Carry says Co honors FL, but Handgun Law says they don't. Colorado does NOT honor a non resident permit from any state, so you cannot carry in CO on a non resident FL permit. As you mentioned you could still carry in FL

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It is strongly recommended that you get your information about which state has reciprocity with another from the State web site. I have nothing against the catch all sites but do you want to try and argue that in court if you have a problem. "Well your honor it said it was legal on this private site." Always use the states site. Just to give you an example USAcarry.com took 2 months to update the change made by NV early this year. It was well advertised that they would no longer accept anyone's non-resident permit. :deadhorse: Sorry if you have heard me say this before. Mdeng

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Be very careful with this info. USA Carry says Co honors FL, but Handgun Law says they don't. Colorado does NOT honor a non resident permit from any state, so you cannot carry in CO on a non resident FL permit. As you mentioned you could still carry in FL[/quote

That's what I ment to show, that Colorado won't honor a non resident permit from either state. But if he got a Florida permit, at least when he travles to Florida, they will honor their own permit but won't honor a Utah non resident permit. :thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It is strongly recommended that you get your information about which state has reciprocity with another from the State web site. I have nothing against the catch all sites but do you want to try and argue that in court if you have a problem. "Well your honor it said it was legal on this private site." Always use the states site. Just to give you an example USAcarry.com took 2 months to update the change made by NV early this year. It was well advertised that they would no longer accept anyone's non-resident permit. :deadhorse: Sorry if you have heard me say this before. Mdeng

+1. saving someone's a** is always encouraged, no matter ho many times it's repeated. You can't :deadhorse: if it helps keep someone out of court or worse, jail IMO.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

I agree 100%
    Both sites give you a starting point and links to each states AG web site.

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    If I remember correctly, Florida doesn't accept any NON-residence permits... The make to much money form selling their own.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Simplegreen - The Utah permit is considered by carriers to be the proverbial brass ring. Its wide acceptance by other states is very well known. In the long run, you will also save a ton of money in renewals with Utah vs. Florida.

We've conducted numerous Utah classes for Marylanders and the response is always tremendous. What is nice also is that you can take a Utah permit class and also use that training to apply for a Florida permit if you desire to have both.

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    So basically what im reading is im SOL on Colorado unless im a resident, which is the state i travel to the most other than Florida. but utah is cheaper. I have my NRA basic pistol, dont know if that matters at either one.

i guess im just not seeing a huge difference between the two..

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Your not really missing anything. The application process is about the same. The FL permit cost more but is good for 7 years vs. the UT permit which cost less and is good for 5 years. If you want to cover FL and KS and you only want to get one permit than you will want the FL permit. I suggest getting both permits to cover as many states as possible. FL training requirement is easy to fulfill and UT requires that you take a class from a UT certified instructor. I am a UT insturctor and have classes scheduled. There are other instructors here as well. I charge more than the others but offer a one stop shop. My class includes, finger prints, passport photo's, notary service, a certificate of completion that will be accepted by FL and I will even mail your completed UT application in for you at the end of the class. Mdeng

Your next UT class is when? :)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So basically what im reading is im SOL on Colorado unless im a resident, which is the state i travel to the most other than Florida. but utah is cheaper. I have my NRA basic pistol, dont know if that matters at either one.

If you opt for the Utah non resident permit it will not be honored in Florida.
    Since you travel to Florida the Florida permit would probably be better for you. Just my .02 cents

I'm going to SLC the 3rd week of Jan 10 to complete the Utah CCW Instructor training and will be setting up classes in February, probably in the Glen Burnie, Linthicum area. I can't give specifics yet, but will publish the date and location as soon as I return from SLC. I'm going to charge $100 for the class but will not provide the fingerprinting, but will provide the sealed completion certificate and instructions on what to do with the application which isn't complicated. This course DOES NOT give any rights in MARYLAND!!!

Details to follow.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

NRA Basic Pistol will work for FL. UT requires a 1 day class taught by a UT certified instructor. See the above posts for info

As someone pointed out, if you visit FL get that permit.FL gives you KS as well. UT gets you MN and WA IIRC, but not FL or CO.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Your next UT class is when? :)
    My next UT CCW class on Jan 30, 2010. In Waldorf, Maryland. The class is Lecture only and will take about 6 hours. I include fingerprints, passport photos( you will get 4 photos, one for UT and 3 to do with as you like.), and notary service done at the time of the class. I charge $150 for everything kinda of a one stop shop. I will even mail you application for your if you would like. Also as required by UT you will receive a Certificate of Completion that can be used to apply for FL and VA permits. I have copies of FL permit application available at the class as well. You can go to my web site to register http://www.genesisfirearms.com Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Mdeng

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom