• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    Does the maryland handgun safety course that is required before you can purchase a firearm valid for Florida's CCW license? (anyone used that?)

Reading #6: Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state certified or national rifle association certified firearms instructor

Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the NRA, criminal justice standards and training commission, or the dept of agriculture and consumer services. (did the people that write this shit ever attend english class? longest run on in history)

-- and i assume the normal digital scanning of the fingerprints is acceptable for their cards

thanks for the advice.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I've heard conflicting reports on here. A quick search should reveal some experiences. I understand they will accept the MD Hunter Safety Course

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Florida does accept other forms of firearms safety certification including Maryland hunter safety and NRA courses.

On the phone last month, Florida told me that they no longer accept the Maryland handgun safety certificate after they found out it is only a video and has no hands on portion. While some have gotten their Florida CCW with the MD safety card, none will anymore.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I >think< your Hunters Safety card must be obtained after 2001 (maybe it was 2003). This is because they started using live fire as part of the course after that year (which ever year it was). I don't believe your card, should you find a copy, will suffice. Jim Sr. should be able to clarify.
    Good Luck!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I >think< your Hunters Safety card must be obtained after 2001 (maybe it was 2003). This is because they started using live fire as part of the course after that year (which ever year it was). I don't believe your card, should you find a copy, will suffice. Jim Sr. should be able to clarify.
    Good Luck!
    I was going to say the same thing, but then realized I am probably thinking of using the Hunter Education card for regulated firearms here in MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You mean the Hunter Saftey Class had ever stopped using live fire ? They did at the very beginning of the concept of Hunter Saftey ( circa 1973), when the GF, now wife took it circa 1989, and later this month whennn daughter finally takes it ( scheduling issues, she wannted to a cpl years ago).
    However it was 1990 for : actual cards, seriel numbers thereof, and recordss there of.
    Since my circa 1973 wall certificate was misplaced decades ago, I've been signing granndfather statement ( truthfully). But would bbe good to have a physical card for certainn out of state, or special areas.
    ( Rant warnning) If it iss REQUIRED, they need to make it available to everyone. ALL classes are only offered on evenings and weekennds. Thousands of people work nights annd weekends. While I personally can grandfather, I have tried to get any number of coworkers to try hunting, but having to burn annother week of leave to take Hunter Saftey is a dealbreaker. Md needs to offer full access to classes, annd also get with the other 38 states with some form of aprentace hunting lic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom