• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Picking up on an old thread where this was an arguement- it just takes the Army a little while to catch up.

Lubricating Small Arms in Desert Environments

PS Magazine
    PEO Soldier recently fielded an inquiry as to what the Army’s position was on lubricating small arms in desert environments. Should Soldiers use light lube, or generous lube? The answer, which is backed up by numerous Army and Joint test results, is for Soldiers to use generous lube.

The June 2010 M16/M4 Operator’s Manual (TM 9-1005-319-10) states that “In a desert environment, generous amounts of lubrication should be applied to the internal working surfaces and functional parts of the weapon only. Unload and dry ammunition and the inside of magazines daily. DO NOT lubricate magazines.”

Generously lubricated is defined as applying MIL SPEC CLP heavy enough so that it can be spread with a finger. According to USAMC Logistics Support Activity, CLP is the only authorized solvent. The training manual states that the use of other solvents will wash away the teflon lubricant that CLP imparts.

There are four rules for all small arms in the desert

GENEROUSLY lube internal moving parts only
    CLEAN the gun often, paying special attention to moving parts
    Keep the gun COVERED as much as possible. Overall weapon protection cover, muzzle cap, and spare magazine protective bags will help protect the weapon. Keep the bolt and ejection port cover closed and a magazine in the weapon.
    Unload and dry ammo and inside of magazines daily. Do NOT lube magazines.
    Protective covers for the M4 and M16 are shipped with every new weapon. If you need to procure additional covers, look into the supply system for the following:

Protective cover: NSN 1005-00-809-2190
    Spare magazine protective bags: NSN 1005-00-193-8306
    Muzzle cap: NSN 5340-00-880-7666
    For more information on cleaning weapons, check out the PS Magazine Article, “Make Sure it’s Clean.”

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Taken to an extreme, I saw soldiers doing some incredibly stupid things with their M4's...on the FOB you're not allowed to have a Condition 1 weapon (or even Condition 3), so to block sand from getting into the magazine well, soldiers would stuff paper towels or the like in there. Not likely, but imagine the FOB being attacked and having to bring your weapon into action quickly...that's going to be one frustrated soldier trying to a) remember the stuffed paper towel while on brain stem power only, or worse, b) trying to do an immediate action drill for "paper towel in the action with loaded magazine jammed". Great reminder on lube though...thanks.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Good info.

Kev, I can't find a picture of the protective cover NSN 1005-00-809-2190.

Is it basically a glorified zip-loc or is it a real case of some sort?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Good info.

Kev, I can't find a picture of the protective cover NSN 1005-00-809-2190.

Is it basically a glorified zip-loc or is it a real case of some sort?

Looks like a black cap to put over the flash suppressor.

Shreds off when fired :innocent0

edit: mixed NSNs :o

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    NSN 5340-00-880-7666 (dust cap black)
    5340-00-880-7666.jpg

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    But none of those are this:

NSN 1005-00-809-2190.

I perceive that to be something that covers the entire weapon. :shrug:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Looks like a black cap to put over the flash suppressor.

Shreds off when fired

Used to use condoms over the flash suppressor. Unlubed worked best. These are maybe the official answer to that unofficial solution?

I see the jokes coming but didn't mean to cause the mayhem that is going to follow.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    That's what I was imagining.....sort of a giant zip-loc

Only judging by the comments they don't zip. You could do this yourself, if you're a prepper, or hunter, you probably have one of those vacuum foodsavers. Get the Bag material that comes in a continuous roll and make your own.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You guys planning on invading some sandy beach in some foreign land?

Only after I get my non-bubbling seal scuba gear :lol2:

Nah....just pays to know these things. If it's good enough at keeping sand out, it should be good for lesser dirty environments as well.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Picking up on an old thread where this was an arguement- it just takes the Army a little while to catch up.

Lubricating Small Arms in Desert Environments

PS Magazine
    PEO Soldier recently fielded an inquiry as to what the Army’s position was on lubricating small arms in desert environments. Should Soldiers use light lube, or generous lube? The answer, which is backed up by numerous Army and Joint test results, is for Soldiers to use generous lube.

The June 2010 M16/M4 Operator’s Manual (TM 9-1005-319-10) states that “In a desert environment, generous amounts of lubrication should be applied to the internal working surfaces and functional parts of the weapon only. Unload and dry ammunition and the inside of magazines daily. DO NOT lubricate magazines.”

Is this recommendation for all desert conditions or just the conditions the soldiers face in Iraq and or Afghanistan?

Only after I get my non-bubbling seal scuba gear :lol2:

Visit almost any scuba shop. They should have a rebreather or two for sale. There are even some DIY designs out there. The technology is not limited to military users anymore.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    OK Kev, here's my question. If this works in the desert, is there any reason to do anything different in the humidity of MD?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Gents,

There is a lot of urban legend/myth regarding the AR platform. The general rule is always run the AR wet and keep it wet. You do not have to constantly clean an AR as long as you keep it well lubed. Unfortunately the military has this institutionalized cleaning regime that I believe has ruined/shortened the lifespan of many weapons. As always, common sense applies.

Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) has done a great job of demonstrating what quality built ARs are capable of doing when they maintained in this manner through his T&E program- check out his AARs on Lightfighter. He is also a good source of what manufacturer's weapons are exhibiting issues in high round count courses. Most folks don't run an AR hard enough to see problems. You are not necessarily going to see problems going out to the range and shooting a couple hundred rounds. This is where I am coming from when I make recommendations. And FYI- I have had my share of dog weapons. I don't always talk about them on the net, but I will tell people if they ask me. As far as ARs are concerned, if I were going to buy one now it would be a BCM mid-length. I shot Soup101's and it is a bad mamajamma.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Gents,

There is a lot of urban legend/myth regarding the AR platform. The general rule is always run the AR wet and keep it wet. You do not have to constantly clean an AR as long as you keep it well lubed. Unfortunately the military has this institutionalized cleaning regime that I believe has ruined/shortened the lifespan of many weapons. As always, common sense applies.

Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) has done a great job of demonstrating what quality built ARs are capable of doing when they maintained in this manner through his T&E program- check out his AARs on Lightfighter. He is also a good source of what manufacturer's weapons are exhibiting issues in high round count courses. Most folks don't run an AR hard enough to see problems. You are not necessarily going to see problems going out to the range and shooting a couple hundred rounds. This is where I am coming from when I make recommendations. And FYI- I have had my share of dog weapons. I don't always talk about them on the net, but I will tell people if they ask me. As far as ARs are concerned, if I were going to buy one now it would be a BCM mid-length. I shot Soup101's and it is a bad mamajamma.

And Pat's weapons lubing is now exclusively done with Slip2000 EWL. He tossed CLP and claims it sucks. But he's rather opinionated.

I use Slick2K and it works great for me. I prefer their cleaning fluids because they are non-toxic (and work). And EWL is what it claims to be, from what I can tell. But to each his or her own.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Gents,

:thumbsup:That's what I was always taught, never leave home without a good supply of CLP or LSAT for the cold and keep it wet. In our wet environment we kept our M-4's and 727's well lubed all the time.

Unfortunately, I've seen many Marines carrying bright and shiny M-16's, made that way through repeated cleanings. Not a jab at the USMC but they are crazy about keeping super clean weapons to a fault at times.

We cleaned ours using an unorthodox method that would make some of you cringe using diesel and pine oil. Worked great and no scrubbing that would degrade the coatings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom