For those who think that handing over your wallet will make the robber spare you...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    So much for the philosophy of "not fighting back" and "giving them what they want".

I keep telling people over and over.... When someone commits a violent crime against you (and robbery using any deadly weapon is a violent crime), you have a DUTY, not just a right, so use deadly force to stop them - if you have the means to do so and without placing others at risk.

Otherwise, you are just passing the buck to the next victim.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have a co-worker that is alive only because he's a cop and had his service weapon while off-duty. While parking his motorcycle, he was approached by a man holding a handgun. The assailant wanted the keys to the bike, and his helmet. My friend handed him the keys and placed the helmet on the bike seat, the bike was between them. When the thug reached for the helmet, he shoved the pistol into his waistband. After putting the helmet on, he reached back for the gun. My friend realized "He's got everything, the only reason he's going for the gun is to kill me." My friend got his servce weapon out first and shot the thug 7 times. Had he been a standard, unarmed citizen, he would have made headlines as "Local man killed in armed robbery". Not surprisingly the criminal's gun had been reported stolen out of PG County a few days earlier.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I have a co-worker that is alive only because he's a cop and had his service weapon while off-duty. While parking his motorcycle, he was approached by a man holding a handgun. The assailant wanted the keys to the bike, and his helmet. My friend handed him the keys and placed the helmet on the bike seat, the bike was between them. When the thug reached for the helmet, he shoved the pistol into his waistband. After putting the helmet on, he reached back for the gun. My friend realized "He's got everything, the only reason he's going for the gun is to kill me." My friend got his servce weapon out first and shot the thug 7 times. Had he been a standard, unarmed citizen, he would have made headlines as "Local man killed in armed robbery". Not surprisingly the criminal's gun had been reported stolen out of PG County a few days earlier.

Quick thinking by your co-worker. Always glad to hear stories where the good guy goes home that evening and the would-be murderer takes a dirt nap.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The officer observed that Shah had been shot.

He was transported to Shock Trauma where he is expected to survive.

Gotta love journalists.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Forget about this "being a man" stuff all the "tough guys" talk about. I am home alone during the day. I am not the best fist fighter on the planet. With all the news of home invasions and attack lately, I carry in my home. My wife isn't too fond of it, but she's coming around.

Too many news stories of home invasions and a couple of weeks ago, there were a couple of guys hanging around in the stairwell of our apt building.

Not being paranoid, just being careful.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Forget about this "being a man" stuff all the "tough guys" talk about. I am home alone during the day. I am not the best fist fighter on the planet. With all the news of home invasions and attack lately, I carry in my home. My wife isn't too fond of it, but she's coming around.

Too many news stories of home invasions and a couple of weeks ago, there were a couple of guys hanging around in the stairwell of our apt building.

Not being paranoid, just being careful.

Agreed. Living in the city there are always police choppers overhead, and sometimes their search lights are a little too close for comfort. Just the other night a cruiser rolled through the alley behind my house very slowly, and I think it's safe to assume he was looking for somebody (they never patrol through there). There is a storage garage directly behind my house that has been broken into a few times - and the kicker is (long story short), according to what my neighbor has told me, I think one of the perpetrators actually spoke to me a few weeks ago while I was mowing my rear lawn. Hell, the crime mentioned at the top of this thread occurred very near my last apartment that I moved away from about 4 years ago - and I thought that neighborhood was nicer than where I am now! Crime is very real, just like severe auto accidents and house fires. Being armed, even in your own home, is no more 'paranoid' than using a seatbelt or checking your smoke alarms regularly.

If I could have a gun stored in every room of the house I probably wouldn't worry about actually carrying, but my finances don't allow it, besides which I have a roommate. I don't have a problem trusting him, but I don't think it would be responsible considering I don't know who he may bring over, whether they're dangerous people or just hoplophobes that would be offended or scared. My gf that lives with me has had experiences in the past with a stalker trying to break in (thank god for her dog - Good boy Toby!), and I've taught her and showed her enough about guns, that she has within about a year gone from being anti-gun and totally afraid of them, to now admitting she feels a little bit better knowing I'm armed.

I do find it kind of sad that as a native Maryland resident, I still have some sort of weird residual 'guilt' about carrying a gun - even in my own home- and second guessing myself, wondering if I'm just being paranoid. I'm guessing those of you that grew up around here probably know what I'm talking about.

Hart-Attack

Nov 20, 2008
    Fallston, MD
    i've started to carry while at home as well (i also work from home)...never know when some whack job is going to be on the hunt. just last week 3 teenager/20 somethings were arrested out front of my house here in Fallston around 2:00 AM. they were stealing stuff out of cars and got into an argument amongst themselves because one wanted to break into some houses as well. luckily my neighbor had her bedroom window cracked open, heard them, called 911 and just about all of Harford county's finest were here to make the arrests. +1 for the good guys!

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I know my local 7-11 Franchise owners very well, they have an agreement with the police for free coffee and such as well.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    thats right up the street from me, to be honest that stor has been a target since it has opened, you dont see that at 7-11 down the street because of the agreement 7-11 has the BCPD

The 7-11 at Frederick and Maiden Choice? There are officers there all the time. However, I wonder about that new liquor store that just opened up in the shopping center next to the 7-11. Maybe they'll benefit from the officer's presence at 7-11.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    I live right near where that robbery/murder occurred... Been a Catonsville Resident for almost 20 years, and I've noticed much increased police activity in the past year. There is now not a night that goes by where I hear Police speeding down Edmondson, sirens blaring. Two of the past three nights there were search choppers right above.

Once, I awoke the the sound of dogs and voices outside my window. I turned on all the outside lights and noticed 3 cop cars outside. There was a search chopper above. I walked out and talked to the police. They told me to get inside as there were dogs involved. (They were all over my property just a half hour prior) They told me not to worry as it was just a "domestic". I said "bullsh*t".

They try and hide what they can and keep the perception that Catonsville is still a nice area. I've seen much deterioration in the past several years and am looking to move. What a shame, C-ville was a nice place to live.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    There is no value of human life anymore. When I drove armored trucks, the f%&kers just shot my friend and killed him for a black bag that may or may not have had any money in it. They didn't even ask him for it. They just shot him.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Heard there was another shooting recently at the gas station at the corner of Edmonson and Ingleside.Carjacking that ended in shooting the driver.Police choppers seem to be overhead nightly as of late.Used to assume it was because of the proximity to the Beltway but now thinking differently.Between the drug related kidnapping a while back,the holdup/shooting around the corner and the carjacking/shooting it's getting a little busy here as of late.Almost forgot about her woman who got her sloat slashed standing in line at the liquor store.All happening anywhere from two blocks to 1-1 1/2 miles from my house.Just kind of reinforces the idea I need to move.Don't have any illusions of moving away from crime just need a bigger house and yard with a garage.If it weren't for my job believe I'd relocate the family to PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom