• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I sent an email asking there position on this and this is what I got back.

Dear Editors and Reporters:

President Blaine Young of the Frederick Board of County Commissioners would like for you to have a copy of the attached correspondence which conveys the Board’s adamant opposition to Senate Bill 281/House Bill 294, the Firearm Safety Act of 2013.

As stated in the letter, “The Frederick County Commissioners join with the entire national community in mourning the senseless tragedy and loss of innocent lives in places like Newton, Connecticut, and other locations in the country. However, we do not believe that the loss of Constitutional rights, privileges and protections are something that should be lost or traded in the name of public safety in order to secure a false sense of security. This legislation, if enacted, will not save any lives. While we believe this to be well-meaning legislation, studies have demonstrated that with increased gun restrictions on law abiding citizens, crime in some locations actually increased.”

Should you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact Legislative Coordinator Ragen Cherney at 301-600-1049 or via e-mail at rcherney@FrederickCountyMD.gov.

--Robin Santangelo

Also attached copies of actual letters. I am glad to hear this as a Frederick county resident. Off to wright the Sheriff next.

Attachments

• SB 281 & HB 294 Firearm Safety Act Opposition Frederick county.pdf
      1.7 MB · Views: 80

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I've seen a few of these types of threads... will this testimony/stance be presented on the 6th? Someone needs to point out all the Maryland organizations that oppose...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I've seen a few of these types of threads... will this testimony/stance be presented on the 6th? Someone needs to point out all the Maryland organizations that oppose...

The irony of your statement has me LOL'ing. MOM doesn't care about what county governments or NGO's think. He is going after the endgame, and trampling our rights is the only way he thinks he will ever see national office.

If the fools in the statehouse actually listened to what the people were saying, we wouldn't have the highest tobacco tax, vehicle registration costs raised, alcohol tax go up, etc... They are making decisions with their own interests in mind, not the interests of their constituents. If things worked the way they were supposed to, nothing would be done at the state level or federal level, because that is how the founding fathers envisioned it. The system was designed to prevent laws from passing, not make it easier.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    The irony of your statement has me LOL'ing. MOM doesn't care about what county governments or NGO's think. He is going after the endgame, and trampling our rights is the only way he thinks he will ever see national office.

If the fools in the statehouse actually listened to what the people were saying, we wouldn't have the highest tobacco tax, vehicle registration costs raised, alcohol tax go up, etc... They are making decisions with their own interests in mind, not the interests of their constituents. If things worked the way they were supposed to, nothing would be done at the state level or federal level, because that is how the founding fathers envisioned it. The system was designed to prevent laws from passing, not make it easier.

I guess we should all just stay home on Wednesday then? Ok. Cool

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

I have to say that I completely disagree with you. It's the "there is nothing we can do about it" attitude that gives us those high cost. If you don't feel it is right then fight it. If you don't try to fight it then you really can't complain about it. I don't think all these gun laws are right so I am going to fight it. If I loose at least I can say that I tried and will try harder next time.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Just wait until the yuppie droves from MoCo completley take over Frederick.

They sure as hell don't care what Poolesville and Damascus think here, they're not gonna care what Brunswick and Boonsboro think when they take over. Sad but true.

Still glad to see we still have common-sense folks running Fredneck though!

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County

How many emails/phone calls have you made to the legislators regarding your view on taxes? Who is organizing the opposition to these taxes? Is there a group like MSI fighting on that front?

I haven't sent any to combat taxes. Nor have any of my family or friends but you better believe that we have been hounding our legislators on the 2A issue. That is the difference here.

You are absolutely right that they have their best interests in mind. But their primary number one best interest is getting re-elected. Don't think that a fear of not gettting re-elected doesn't hold any power.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Its not about MOM its about making the public and the national press aware. May do some good. May give polical cover to fence sitters. May help in the court challenge when the AG tries of convince the court to give difference to the legislature because it reflects a considered judgment based on taking all view into account ( and then ignoring them) and reflecting the will of the people whose other elected representatives think they are full of it.

Think chess not checkers. And 3 dimensional chess at that.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Blaine should be beating up on his loony father, Ron, who wants to ban all semi autos.

HondoMD

Mar 8, 2011
    I've written Ron Young on several topics, differing from his point of view, and never resceived the courtesy of a response. I believe the only way that you'll get a response from Ron Young is to put a check in his pocket...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I guess we should all just stay home on Wednesday then? Ok. Cool

I have to say that I completely disagree with you. It's the "there is nothing we can do about it" attitude that gives us those high cost. If you don't feel it is right then fight it. If you don't try to fight it then you really can't complain about it. I don't think all these gun laws are right so I am going to fight it. If I loose at least I can say that I tried and will try harder next time.

How many emails/phone calls have you made to the legislators regarding your view on taxes? Who is organizing the opposition to these taxes? Is there a group like MSI fighting on that front?

I haven't sent any to combat taxes. Nor have any of my family or friends but you better believe that we have been hounding our legislators on the 2A issue. That is the difference here.

You are absolutely right that they have their best interests in mind. But their primary number one best interest is getting re-elected. Don't think that a fear of not gettting re-elected doesn't hold any power.

Its not about MOM its about making the public and the national press aware. May do some good. May give polical cover to fence sitters. May help in the court challenge when the AG tries of convince the court to give difference to the legislature because it reflects a considered judgment based on taking all view into account ( and then ignoring them) and reflecting the will of the people whose other elected representatives think they are full of it.

Think chess not checkers. And 3 dimensional chess at that.

Maybe the joke was lost between the fingers and the keyboard. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to upset you all.

I meant it as a joke about how MOM couldn't care less about the wishes of the county governments/organizations/people in the state, as he tries to use us as a stepping stone towards national office.

I have sent multiple emails to my elected representatives. Some good responses and some bad responses, along with no response from a few. I can not be in Annapolis due to the ultimatum I got from the boss. Go to Annapolis, lose job. Don't go to Annapolis, keep job. Considering I need my job, I think the decision is clear, but I am doing what I can from here.

I have no intention of going down without fighting for my rights, while others I know couldn't care less or have already given up.

Again guys, sorry that the joke about MOM was lost between fingers and keyboard.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Maybe the joke was lost between the fingers and the keyboard. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to upset you all.

I meant it as a joke about how MOM couldn't care less about the wishes of the county governments/organizations/people in the state, as he tries to use us as a stepping stone towards national office.

I have sent multiple emails to my elected representatives. Some good responses and some bad responses, along with no response from a few. I can not be in Annapolis due to the ultimatum I got from the boss. Go to Annapolis, lose job. Don't go to Annapolis, keep job. Considering I need my job, I think the decision is clear, but I am doing what I can from here.

I have no intention of going down without fighting for my rights, while others I know couldn't care less or have already given up.

Again guys, sorry that the joke about MOM was lost between fingers and keyboard.

:thumbsup: might want to work on that :sarcasm: a little :D

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County

No worries. I definately didn't catch the joke.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Personally I don't have a problem with background checks for all gun sales. Should I? Yes I really am asking. I would not want to sell a gun to someone that is prohibited from owning it.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    The good thing is that they are writing against SB281, the bad thing is they include a second page about closing the "gunshow loophole"

The guns how loophole canard is low hanging fruit for them and its the hardest for us to defend constitutionally. Plus just because it is useless feel good law does not mean it serves no purpose., its a good wat to open a flanking counter attack about enforcement.

I do think we must fight it, but not because its so horrible, but because we will loose that fight anyway but we will must make them fight for every inch of ground. We have been compromised enough.

" Gun show loophole you say ? Why not close the project gun runner loophole first. Clean up BATFE first then we can talk about loopholes. You must think we are really dumb ."

With luck we can make some gains on enforcement, and more due process protection re federal abuse of power. Here the ACLU may again be an asset.

I may yet join...
    :sad20:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Personally I don't have a problem with background checks for all gun sales. Should I? Yes I really am asking. I would not want to sell a gun to someone that is prohibited from owning it.

The issue is complicated and the provided solution is simplistic.
    first it will only cover legal sales which are not the problem
    second the background check needs data to work and many states ( including apparently MD nb I have not yet verified this myself but I find if credible) do not send relevant data.

There is a lack of due process protection as well, safe guards on the use of the data etc.
    And the class of prohibited persons is an issue' Non violent white collar crimes, often a strict liability failure to comply with one or more incompreshible self contradicting regulations.

And of course false misleaning allegation of domestic abuse ( there is some talk of extending this to any one no just live in relationships ) with limited due process and in many cases no real appeal.

the cases are winding though the courts, but people are being harmed. so yes appose it until these matters are addressed.

also see other comment

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

How many of the weapons used in crimes were purchased at a gun show without a background check?

How many of the weapons used in recent mass shootings were purchased legally and of those that were, would stricter enforcement of current laws prevented the purchase? Would proper reporting to NICS or reporting of mental health issues make a difference?

This 'loophole' isn't a problem. It's a way for the federal government to start tracking ALL sales and eventually figure out who has what. The problem is that right now, they don't know how many guns there really are or how many everyone has or WHAT everyone has because these personal sales are legal.

Just look at MD... there is no "Registry" but because of the mandated background checks, there is a registry (lower case R). This is the slippery slope that everyone talks about.

Step 1, require background checks on ALL firearm purchases
    - How do you ensure that all background checks are performed? you keep record of them.
    Step 2, Background check records are de facto registration
    Step 3, You can guess... but the answer isn't "Lower Crime Rates!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom