• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I am looking at left handed Stag uppers and I am thinking about getting the 3HL with the railed gas block so I can put flip ups on it however I noticed that the height is different does that make a difference in what front sight I want to buy I already have a ARMS 40L for the rear I just need a front ideas guys?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you want my honest opinion, I think railed gas blocks look bad. I would remove it an drop a low profile gas block on there and then pick out a nice rail.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    If you want my honest opinion, I think railed gas blocks look bad. I would remove it an drop a low profile gas block on there and then pick out a nice rail.

I agreed with you but this is for my GF that will not shoot as much and I want to have flip up front and rear sights

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

Me too, I think. :innocent0 Just removed my last railed gas block. Now all my ARs have rail mounted BUIS.

OP - some argue that because of the AR design, the barrel can shift over time. Since a gas block-mounted front sight moves with the barrel, that setup is theoretically more accurate under harsh conditions. Others argue that when irons are used for backup, it doesn't really matter that much.

In answer to your specific question, you would need a gas block height front sight, to ensure that your sights would witness correctly with your 40L rear.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

^This!

Zane, the 3HL uses a double hex-head clamp-on gas-block (I know, it was my first upper, still have it too), it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap it out and pin a low-pro on it.

It's exposed, so it is vulnerable to being knocked out of alignment when someone inevitably drops it (ask me how I know this :innocent0). Just food for thought there.

As stated before, you'd need a gasblock height front sight to match up to a 40L rear.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yes, a front sight for a railed gas block is taller than one going on a railed hand guard. I have one of each, I prefer the hand guard mounted one. I believe I still have the gas block one somewhere, I'll see if I can find it this afternoon. Stay tuned.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    ^This!

Zane, the 3HL uses a double hex-head clamp-on gas-block (I know, it was my first upper, still have it too), it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap it out and pin a low-pro on it.

It's exposed, so it is vulnerable to being knocked out of alignment when someone inevitably drops it (ask me how I know this :innocent0). Just food for thought there.

As stated before, you'd need a gasblock height front sight to match up to a 40L rear.

Well I could just order it from stag with the samson rail but I am not sure of the rail length

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Midwest Industries front sight for a railed gas block just sitting here collecting dust if you want it. I replaced the front sight post with a circle and crosshair one. Let me know, I can send it out next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom