• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    So last week I had some issues with my old HK USP. I was using Fiocci 9mm ammo and kept having failures to fire. After ejecting the ammo,and inspecting it- the primers had indentations. If I ran the ammo through again it fired.

I replaced the hammer spring and inspected the firing pin.

With the same box of ammo, I had the same issues.

Anyone else have issues with hard primers on Fiocci 9mm lately? I am wondering if the QA/QC on ammo is not as good as usual given the rush on ammo.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I hope that's the case...I'll try some other brands and see if that does it. If not, I will replace the firing pin with one of the new style ones.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    It's probably not the gun. Two questions...1) is it a model with the old firing pin, and 2) do you dryfire it very much? If yes, and yes, it could be the gun.

Reports of this with striker guns and Fiocchi ammo have become somewhat common. Further, the reports of ammo deficiencies have skyrocketed as have the amount of firearms that makers are getting back for repair due to damage from factory ammo.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I found that when I went to light springs in my USP-C that hard primers required 2 hammer strikes to set them off using the 10# spring from Wolf. The US ammo like Federals fired fine the first time. Had to put the 12# spring in to get the Russian ammo to fire the first time every time.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    So last week I had some issues with my old HK USP. I was using Fiocci 9mm ammo and kept having failures to fire. After ejecting the ammo,and inspecting it- the primers had indentations. If I ran the ammo through again it fired.

I replaced the hammer spring and inspected the firing pin.

With the same box of ammo, I had the same issues.

Anyone else have issues with hard primers on Fiocci 9mm lately? I am wondering if the QA/QC on ammo is not as good as usual given the rush on ammo.

Have you tried other brands of ammo since your experience with Fiocchi???

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Just got back from the range and ran 100 rounds of american eagle ammo through without issue. The guybat the range said a lot of fiocci ammo has very hard primers.

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    I had one FTF with Fiocchi last week in my M&P 9mm. Never had one with the gun before and went through another 100 rounds of Fiocchi right after the FTF without another one. Same deal, indent in the primer but never went off.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I've shot thousands of rounds of all different types (inlcuding some Fiocchi , though not recently) through my 9mm USP and have never had any FTFs. My guess would also be that it is an issue with the ammo.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Aaaahhhh, 158 grain???

What's the question? Before the ammo crunch, I used it all the time. Their 158gr is perfect for suppressing. I went through 1,500 rounds of it in the last year, and it was relatively cheap and real quiet... but finding it was hard even pre-Newtown. Now the stuff is impossible to find and I'm slowly eating away at my 146gr AE supply.

No problems with the primers at all.

EDIT- I meant to say 147gr AE.

Last edited:

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    What's the question? Before the ammo crunch, I used it all the time. Their 158gr is perfect for suppressing. I went through 1,500 rounds of it in the last year, and it was relatively cheap and real quiet... but finding it was hard even pre-Newtown. Now the stuff is impossible to find and I'm slowly eating away at my 146gr AE supply.

No problems with the primers at all.

+1

I mainly used the Fiocchi 158gr for testing out a new host for my 9mm suppressers. I always like to run a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo through a new host before I start giving it a steady diet of my 147gr handloads. The Fiocchi 158gr is great ammo, and pre-panic could be found for @ $15 a box.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    So I got a replacement firing pin for my usp and brought my Sig 226 and pt92 to the range today.

Same type of fiocci ammo as before I had to strike in double action more than once to go off in my usp and 226. Not a round was succcessfully fired from my pt92. I would say something is going on with their 9mm ammo for hard primers...unless all 3 guns are messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom