• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I haven't fired an air rifle since I was a kid, but I picked up a Gamo Shadow 1000 pellet rifle for backyard pest elimination. I figured I would just use it occasionally when beasts violate the sanctity of my yard, but I've actually had a lot of fun firing it in the basement. I've never fired a spring piston air rifle before and I was surprised how much power and accuracy these things are capable of. It actually has more recoil than my 10/22 and is just about as loud. The rifle combined with the night vision monocular that I acquired at the same time make for a potent backyard defense combination! :D Yeah, I'm obsessed.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 said:
    I haven't fired an air rifle since I was a kid, but I picked up a Gamo Shadow 1000 pellet rifle for backyard pest elimination. I figured I would just use it occasionally when beasts violate the sanctity of my yard, but I've actually had a lot of fun firing it in the basement. I've never fired a spring piston air rifle before and I was surprised how much power and accuracy these things are capable of. It actually has more recoil than my 10/22 and is just about as loud. The rifle combined with the night vision monocular that I acquired at the same time make for a potent backyard defense combination! :D Yeah, I'm obsessed.
    You want some destructive fun? Put a small drop of kerosene in the skirt of a pellet. The hot burst of air will cause dieseling and I hear it makes it go faster than the speed of sound. Not good for the air seals, accuracy and the rifle, but I hear it is a lot of potentially dangerous fun. :cool:

I borrowed my neighbors 1000ft/s spring piston rifle and killed a bunch of squirells and rabbits in my backyard with it. Actually killed a rabbit with one shot at about 20 yards once. Lot of fun. :party29:

By the way, you can get silencers for some pellet guns.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Sweet. I just bought a Daisy Buck model for my 6 year old son to learn with. I'm building an indoor /outdoor range in my garage so we don't annoy the neighbors (Although my direct neighbors are very cool)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    novus collectus said:
    You want some destructive fun? Put a small drop of kerosene in the skirt of a pellet. The hot burst of air will cause dieseling and I hear it makes it go faster than the speed of sound. Not good for the air seals, accuracy and the rifle, but I hear it is a lot of potentially dangerous fun. :cool:

I borrowed my neighbors 1000ft/s spring piston rifle and killed a bunch of squirells and rabbits in my backyard with it. Actually killed a rabbit with one shot at about 20 yards once. Lot of fun. :party29:

By the way, you can get silencers for some pellet guns.
    I read that when a spring piston air rifle is fired the air temperature approaches 1000 degrees C due to the severe compression. Supposedly back in the days when all lubricants were petroleum based the dieseling effect was expected and that approximately 30% of the power was achieved from this effect. Modern guns are built to much tighter specifications so dieseling would most likely damage them. Pretty wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom