• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm not expert and have only one data point. Only grew bell peppers one year and that was the year my cayenne peppers were mild. My garden is rather modest so the bell peppers got the boot. Cayennes are back to the way I like 'em. :shrug:
    Modest as in small? Try some Marconi peppers. They are better than bell peppers and produce more.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Modest as in small? Try some Marconi peppers. They are better than bell peppers and produce more.
    Yes small, maybe 8'x12' "fenced" because of the hoofed rats. Last year had 6 tomato plants, two bunches of 3 cucumber plants, 2 jalapeno and 4 or 5 cayenne and she was maxed out. I'd like to go bigger but this is literally the only patch that gets good sun due to all the trees.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yes small, maybe 8'x12' "fenced" because of the hoofed rats. Last year had 6 tomato plants, two bunches of 3 cucumber plants, 2 jalapeno and 4 or 5 cayenne and she was maxed out. I'd like to go bigger but this is literally the only patch that gets good sun due to all the trees.
    gotcha, that is maxed out.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    If you have asparagus start keeping an eye on it! Mine is showing signs of life.

IMG_1051.jpeg

dehos

Mar 23, 2024
    Glen Burnie
    I would enjoy getting into planting a garden on my land but I am not sure where to start and it kind of seems overwhelming. Kinda off topic but if you guys have any good resources that helped you learn I would like to check them out.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I would enjoy getting into planting a garden on my land but I am not sure where to start and it kind of seems overwhelming. Kinda off topic but if you guys have any good resources that helped you learn I would like to check them out.
    I agree. Best thing is to start with a few easy to grow vegetables. Radishes, tomatoes, lettuce, snow peas, spinach. Things you like to eat. Start small and resist the temptation to have a huge garden. Maybe consider a few containers or a single raised bed. Keep a gardening journal. Nothing fancy just what you planted (and variety and where you got it from) and when. It will help you remember next year.
    Books I recommend:
    Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
    The book for your region from this series.

The Gardening Channel with James Prigioni on you tube.

dehos

Mar 23, 2024
    Glen Burnie
    I agree. Best thing is to start with a few easy to grow vegetables. Radishes, tomatoes, lettuce, snow peas, spinach. Things you like to eat. Start small and resist the temptation to have a huge garden. Maybe consider a few containers or a single raised bed. Keep a gardening journal. Nothing fancy just what you planted (and variety and where you got it from) and when. It will help you remember next year.
    Books I recommend:

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    mulch of any kind is your friend. Weeding is a PITA, even with a cultivator. Old hay and straw works, but both can come with seeds. Grass clippings and tree cutting mulch works. Amazon boxes can help to keep area barren between rows then they rot out by next year.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I've done OK with easy care flowers and shrubs. This year, I am starting veggies with lettuces. Right now have my Swiss Chard coming up nicely, but the Butter Head hasn't sprouted, although it said they were good to ground sprout at this time, in this climate for Spring.
    Flower-wise, I sprouted Moon flower (with some morning glory interspersed)and planted them, and am waiting for the nighttime splendor.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    Books I recommend:

I agree with this. Start off small so you know what you're getting into. I started with some containers on the deck with stuff we would eat - parsley, tomatoes, green onions, and Thai peppers. All pretty easy to grow and we did OK with them. I added a few more containers over the years (I have about 20 now) for other herbs and some other veg that we would eat.

At some point I wanted to move into other stuff like egg plants, bok, choy, brussel sprouts, bell peppers, etc and needed a raised bed for the plants to really thrive. I think for small raised beds like I have (2 4x4s and a 4x8) square foot gardening is the way to go. It helps you plan and keep things organized, and you can plant pretty dense in them. There are lots of web sites that tell you how many plants you can squeeze into each space and how to plan the garden out. You want to be careful to put raised beds where they get enough sun, too.

I would really keep it simple when you are starting out and not worry about maximizing the crops and stuff like co-planting. Just have some fun with it and enjoy the stuff you grow. To me, it should be relaxing and not a chore.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    I'm still behind on cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes this year. But at least I have beds that are already built and filled. One 4x4 bed has all volunteer cherry tomato's starting to pop up in it and I may just leave them there and plant my black krims and green zebras in another bed.

I have dill, cilantro and basil (Thai and Genovese) popping up along with arugula and spinach in other beds. I think some pineapple tomatillos are starting to sprout around where it was grown last year.

Parsley and sage from last year are still going strong. Elephant Garlic planted in containers in October of last year is still going well.

I've got ginger starting to sprout. Tumeric hasn't woken up yet and is still on the heat mat in the green house.

I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a few things but after the gun show this weekend I'll be working in the garden again

Posted with my Muth*rfkn TapaTalk!

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    So far this season has started off well for me. I made modifications to my greenhouse over the winter and my overheating issues have been tempered. The seedlings, and now potted up plants are doing great.
    Some of my tomatoes will need to get planted very soon. I don’t want to repot.
    When are you all starting to plant tomatoes and peppers outside?

IMG_1190.jpeg

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I'm still behind on cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes this year. But at least I have beds that are already built and filled. One 4x4 bed has all volunteer cherry tomato's starting to pop up in it and I may just leave them there and plant my black krims and green zebras in another bed.

I have dill, cilantro and basil (Thai and Genovese) popping up along with arugula and spinach in other beds. I think some pineapple tomatillos are starting to sprout around where it was grown last year.

Parsley and sage from last year are still going strong. Elephant Garlic planted in containers in October of last year is still going well.

I've got ginger starting to sprout. Tumeric hasn't woken up yet and is still on the heat mat in the green house.

I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a few things but after the gun show this weekend I'll be working in the garden again

Posted with my Muth*rfkn TapaTalk!
    You have a nice variety of stuff growing there. :thumbsup:

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    You have a nice variety of stuff growing there. :thumbsup:
    Thanks! I try to add something new or expand the garden a little each year. This year the new additions were the arugula and spinach.

I like your greenhouse setup! Got a feeling I'll need to up my greenhouse here soon to something like that. Are wood prices still crazy? been a few years since I've bought any.

Currently I have a nice long table from my grandfathers greenhouse (the slats are cedar I think) inside of an amazon metal pole greenhouse. The cheapo covering has been falling apart the last year or so and now has a tarp covering the leak from the top and now the zipper on the door is failing/separating so something will have to be done soonish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom