• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not sure how many have seen it, but if you have been a visitor to Galtinburg Tn things may be very different when or if you return.

Had seen nothing of it on the news but noticed posts popping up on FB. Much of Gatlinburg appears to be on or surrounded by fire from a wildfire that spread from within the park. It seems as though their local news also made nothing of the event. Gatlinburg appears to have been evacuated last night.

Prayers for those in the area and those fighting the fires.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not sure how many have seen it, but if you have been a visitor to Galtinburg Tn things may be very different when or if you return.

Had seen nothing of it on the news but noticed posts popping up on FB. Much of Gatlinburg appears to be on or surrounded by fire from a wildfire that spread from within the park. It seems as though their local news also made nothing of the event. Gatlinburg appears to have been evacuated last night.

Prayers for those in the area and those fighting the fires.

https://youtu.be/FMnkmlrJ9GA

Scary video. NSFW language.

My parents own timeshare on that mountain I grew up visiting it 2x a year.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    It's been very bad. Even here in the Virginia Blue Ridge we've lost thousands of acres in Amherst and Nelson counties over the last 2 weeks.

Really hoping they're getting some of this rain.

Radio_Flyer

Jun 18, 2015
    It is mine and my wife's favorite area. We camp at Anchor's Down and really enjoy the area hiking and being a tourist. Looking at homes in nearby Marysville to relocate from MD when we retire. Our prayers for those living there and the firefighters.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    30 buildings on fire in Gatlinburg, including 16 story hotel. Saw that on a Facebook post, so don't hold me to it. I did read on CCN site three resorts are gone including Westgate Mountain Resort & Spa. I love that area and was down there this past summer. No Way Jose, favorite Mexican restaurant.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's been very bad. Even here in the Virginia Blue Ridge we've lost thousands of acres in Amherst and Nelson counties over the last 2 weeks.

Really hoping they're getting some of this rain.

Smoke was very thick down there.....i could hardly see my beer at Wild Wolf.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have been their many times when i drove charter coaches for a living, plus to dollywood, and Pigeon Forge as well. Once had a group their on new years eve for a Louise Mandrell new years eve show as well. Had my wife with me on that trip and we had a blast.. Sending my thoughts and prayers for all those have had to leave and for the firefighters who are fighting the fire. Also Great Smokey Mountains National Park some fire their as well. Not good at all.....

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Due to one copy cat wanting to be a follower, so many (human/animal/land) have to suffer. One arsonist was caught in Tennessee hopefully the others will meet their karma by the paw of a land roving animal that lost its sanctuary. Those who like to do bad like to brag and when they brag one would hope that the persons ear that is filled by this heinous crime comes forth and reports these failures to society

Last edited:

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Was supposed to be in Europe for spring break. Due to radical jihad stupidity, we thankfully spent a week and a bunch of money in Gatlinburg. It's a travesty what happened there and I hope the state of Tennessee comes through to help the businesses rebuild. My hope is that we can make it back there this SB to spend some tourism dollars, albeit a tiny fraction of what's needed to replace what is required. We thoroughly enjoyed the people and hospitality shown to us while there. It was a cool place to be.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Was supposed to be in Europe for spring break. Due to radical jihad stupidity, we thankfully spent a week and a bunch of money in Gatlinburg. It's a travesty what happened there and I hope the state of Tennessee comes through to help the businesses rebuild. My hope is that we can make it back there this SB to spend some tourism dollars, albeit a tiny fraction of what's needed to replace what is required. We thoroughly enjoyed the people and hospitality shown to us while there. It was a cool place to be.
    Recently updated fire maps are confusing to say the least. Looks like most of downtown survived pretty well maybe with some damage while a large portion of the mountain did not. There are spots here and there that are completely untouched which blows my mind given the widespread destruction.

Luckily Pigeon Fordge and Sevierville both were relatively unscathed which means plenty of people will still be able to stay locally and spend their dollars.

Sadly given property values Im betting some of the small business owners may get pushed out and the area will become even more corporate driven which has been a sad creep over the years down there.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Recently updated fire maps are confusing to say the least. Looks like most of downtown survived pretty well maybe with some damage while a large portion of the mountain did not. There are spots here and there that are completely untouched which blows my mind given the widespread destruction.

Luckily Pigeon Fordge and Sevierville both were relatively unscathed which means plenty of people will still be able to stay locally and spend their dollars.

Sadly given property values Im betting some of the small business owners may get pushed out and the area will become even more corporate driven which has been a sad creep over the years down there.

Thanks. I too haven't seen much for an accurate depiction of what was lost and what survived in d'town Gatlinburg. The whole thing is a little surreal still. I really hope they recover and if it was in fact an arsonist or plural, they suffer the fullest extent of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom