• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I decided to get back into MD hunting and scheduled my safety courses etc. I have a good bit of friends that hunt waterfowl and other birds. I never think about getting licenses or being properly equipped until they actually offer a trip and by then it's WAY too late. Having sold my versamax a while back I started looking for a new tool for this year so I'll be ready when the invites hopefully come later in 2016.

I would love to hear any other gear suggestions from those who are into this locally. I haven't hunted a bird of any kind since I pheasant hunted as a kid with my grandfather many years ago. I still remember loving those trips like it happened yesterday and I miss him big time.

Thanks fellas, and I think my choice has been made and I'm just waiting for one to come in. Hope I'm up to the task, really looking forward to it since I'm already hooked on clays.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452632028.170285.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    12ga and 3 round capacity. Within reason, that is all you need. An 870 express with a 26+" barrel does about as good a job as anything else that can take a 12ga shell. Yes, sure, some can do it a little better, but from all I've seen once you have that minimum it is 90% the person pointing the shotgun and not the shotgun that determines success.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    That sounds about right and I should have been clearer in my OP. I meant other hunting gear (other than the SG) for waterfowl hunting. Tips, tricks, etiquette stuff, etc.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Good camo.....think about stuff like undershirt and handkerchiefs.

Layers of camo.....goose pits can actually be relatively warm.

A good waterproof blind bag..
    It's going to get wet and/or muddy.

A good set of insulated waders.

A good thermos.....and know what your hosts likes to drink.....;)

Find out ahead of time how you'll be hunting.....layout blinds, shore blinds, boat blinds, pits, box blinds, all will determine clothing and footwear.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Geese / Ducks aint Pheasants so get that out yer head right now son. Unless you just gonna sit in a pit than you gonna need a bunch of shit. Get ready to get muddy and cold. :D:D:D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Or standing vegetation. Hunting a cornfield where some standing corn was left for the geese as well as to act as a blind.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Geese / Ducks aint Pheasants so get that out yer head right now son. Unless you just gonna sit in a pit than you gonna need a bunch of shit. Get ready to get muddy and cold. :D:D:D

Oh I know they're different bud and foul weather doesn't scare me as long as I'm prepared for it

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Smart Wool or Ice Breaker undies for a base. Did you do one of the TX online courses?

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    etiquette:
    1. If a guy leaves the pit to pee or move the decoys, take their shells out of their gun
    2. If you don't see a dog to retrieve the birds and you are the new guy, you are the dog.
    3. Do not fall asleep in the pit!
    Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Have lots of money. Had some really good times in the blind. That high dollar ammo is nice, but not necessary.

My wife would kill me if I hunted waterfoul every weekend after deer season. Sold my Xtrema2 to buy a 700 AAC-SD .308 for deer.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Have lots of money. Had some really good times in the blind. That high dollar ammo is nice, but not necessary.

My wife would kill me if I hunted waterfoul every weekend after deer season. Sold my Xtrema2 to buy a 700 AAC-SD .308 for deer.

Good to see you posting up man, and thanks for the input :beer:

etiquette:

1. If a guy leaves the pit to pee or move the decoys, take their shells out of their gun
    2. If you don't see a dog to retrieve the birds and you are the new guy, you are the dog.
    3. Do not fall asleep in the pit!
    Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Outstanding advice :lol2:

So is PJDiesel going to step up and finally explain this whole TX thing? :innocent0

I'm a bit confused. My understanding was I had to do an online something or other for MD, sign up and take their classroom courses, then fire two shells or something at a range designated. Am I missing something?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I thought 'Flask was taking one of his offspring with him for the class, prior to that I mentioned just doing the TX hunters safety course, then get a MD license. To do it "right" one would/should take the course in their home State. He is an avid shooter, no issues with basic gun handling and safety for sure. Persoanlly I think it sucks to take a "hunters safety" course as a 40something who has been hunting/shooting his/her whole life.

He's a non-waterfowler (basically a city dweller) and will require a ton of coddling, possible literal hand holding while the guns are going off. If I told him any of my stories of us breaking ice out in-front of the boat just to get back to the ramp he'd probably ask a moderator to delete this thread and act like he never dreamed up the idea.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Now that I got that off of my chest!

Killing birds is a lot of fun. One can make it as difficult or as easy as they like, spend a little or spend a lot. I'm all about "hand me downs" when it comes to hunting gear, not ashamed in the least to buy someones last year shit at 50% of retail.

I have decent bibs, and 2 different quarter zip fleece lines Drake jackets (MST) and Mucks. Decent boots are NOT optional in my opinion. My bird killing gun has a shorter LOP that helps with the layers of clothing. I also keep a small propane heater in the blind in the event my vagina gets too cool.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    My choices/preferences:

Uninsulated, breathable boot foot waders. Wear insulated jeans under when it's cold. No plans to actually stand in the water for any length of time.

A big camo blind bag. My relatively cheap Redhead bag from BPS works fine. A lot of guys like the plastic ammo boxes, they pack lighter than me.

Mojo decoys work.

Breathable insulated camo jacket, I have wader length. Big enough to layer a wool sweater under. I have an uninsulated jacket for warmer days but an "outerwear system" with zip out liner would also do the trick.

I've been meaning to get some camo insulated bibs for non-wading situations. My current canvas pair are not that warm, a little tight and not at all waterproof.

Neoprene gloves for handling decoys, but not for shooting.

I've done much of my hunting in January so I've accumulated fleece hood/scarf, fleece handwarmer/muff and a variety of handwarmers.

If I did a lot of cold weather waterfowling I might invest in electric socks and/or heavily insulated boots but I make do with wool socks.

Been meaning to get a set of good insulated long johns.

Thing about duck hunting is you often start out sweating in the cold but end up shivering.

Don't forget ear protection if you're going to be in a blind with other shooters.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Ah, forgot this part. I don't think there is a guy in our blind who doesn't have neck gator. Nothing more miserable than being cold, air shooting down your back will do it every time. I wear mine right out of the house and never take it off until I get back into the truck when we're done.

I use a Final Approach brand, pulling it all the way up over my beanie in the back most times:

images

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I thought 'Flask was taking one of his offspring with him for the class, prior to that I mentioned just doing the TX hunters safety course, then get a MD license. To do it "right" one would/should take the course in their home State. He is an avid shooter, no issues with basic gun handling and safety for sure. Persoanlly I think it sucks to take a "hunters safety" course as a 40something who has been hunting/shooting his/her whole life.

He's a non-waterfowler (basically a city dweller) and will require a ton of coddling, possible literal hand holding while the guns are going off. If I told him any of my stories of us breaking ice out in-front of the boat just to get back to the ramp he'd probably ask a moderator to delete this thread and act like he never dreamed up the idea.

I guess I'll address this in two parts.

1. So you can simply take an ONLINE TX hunters safety course then go buy a licese in MD with NO in classroom stuff? That seems odd, but if it's possible please let me know on the side and I assume this would ONLY apply to the kid that I never mentioned taking to you ever!?

2. Damn, I can tell you now I will (literally) never hold your hand. For you to mention that in one post then drop the fact you have a Vag a couple posts later is concerning to say the least. I wonder about you sometimes....:innocent0

My choices/preferences:

Uninsulated, breathable boot foot waders. Wear insulated jeans under when it's cold. No plans to actually stand in the water for any length of time.

A big camo blind bag. My relatively cheap Redhead bag from BPS works fine. A lot of guys like the plastic ammo boxes, they pack lighter than me.

Mojo decoys work.

Breathable insulated camo jacket, I have wader length. Big enough to layer a wool sweater under. I have an uninsulated jacket for warmer days but an "outerwear system" with zip out liner would also do the trick.

I've been meaning to get some camo insulated bibs for non-wading situations. My current canvas pair are not that warm, a little tight and not at all waterproof.

Neoprene gloves for handling decoys, but not for shooting.

I've done much of my hunting in January so I've accumulated fleece hood/scarf, fleece handwarmer/muff and a variety of handwarmers.

If I did a lot of cold weather waterfowling I might invest in electric socks and/or heavily insulated boots but I make do with wool socks.

Been meaning to get a set of good insulated long johns.

Thing about duck hunting is you often start out sweating in the cold but end up shivering.

Don't forget ear protection if you're going to be in a blind with other shooters.

Damn good advice!

Ah, forgot this part. I don't think there is a guy in our blind who doesn't have neck gator. Nothing more miserable than being cold, air shooting down your back will do it every time. I wear mine right out of the house and never take it off until I get back into the truck when we're done.

I use a Final Approach brand, pulling it all the way up over my beanie in the back most times:

images

Definitely would not have thought of this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom