• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm not talking about group shooting either. But my practice is for compitition, and not really defense. Although I imagine the skill will transfer over a bit.

I look at like if I see my sights, I can call a miss then make that shot up. If I don't see my sights I can't do that. Is it really that much slower to see something that's already there? Just watching what's happening in front of you shouldn't take any longer to do.

In my training, I try to see my sights for every shot. Even more so in dryfire. I don't see any benifit to not seeing them. Now on game day I will break some shots with out seeing my sights, although that's really not the plan.

If you are breaking shots when you arent planning to you need to get your trigger finger under control.

Blaster, correct me if Im wrong, point shooting is a target focus shot. ie your body alarm response causes your focus to jump and fix on the threat.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you are breaking shots when you arent planning to you need to get your trigger finger under control.

Blaster, correct me if Im wrong, point shooting is a target focus shot. ie your body alarm response causes your focus to jump and fix on the threat.

I've never heard it explained that way. It's sounds unintentional, sort of.
    Your body alarm should alert when you see a threat. Proximity and imminent danger dictates what you do with that alarm.
    But a very vague yes to your question because I understand what you are asking. It is very much like driving a car or riding a motorcycle. You turn your head into a turn and you should steer into it. In this case you zoom in on a threat, and your draw and point of aim should follow instinctively.

But point shooting is just that, shooting. If you aren't shooting, then you are aiming and that isn't point shooting. :)

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009

So if I don't see my sights I need to get my trigger finger under control? But, when you do it, it's point shooting?

I missed something.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So if I don't see my sights I need to get my trigger finger under control? But, when you do it, it's point shooting?

I missed something.

I guess I missed something. Point shooting is shooting shooting immediately when you are on target. My shot breaks as soon as my arm(s) are extended.
    If you come up on target but don't fire because you are aligning the sights, then that is aimed fire. Pointing is an"aim" but you are not aiming by aligning sights.
    If you are taking over a second/second and a half, then you really are not point shooting. Because this may mean you are sighting in.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I guess I missed something. Point shooting is shooting shooting immediately when you are on target. My shot breaks as soon as my arm(s) are extended.
    If you come up on target but don't fire because you are aligning the sights, then that is aimed fire. Pointing is an"aim" but you are not aiming by aligning sights.
    If you are taking over a second/second and a half, then you really are not point shooting. Because this may mean you are sighting in.

I think it's the differance between taking the time to align your sights, and seeing your sights. When you draw you should be pretty close, you should be able to see your sight enough to know where the bullet will go.

When you point shoot do you not see the sight at all? It's one thing to not "aim". But if the sight is there and your eyes are open why not "see" them. Does that make sense?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Nah. I don't pay attention to the sights. Because you are pointing out of instinct. Because you need to get the shot off. Because I'm looking at the hand coming out of the waistband that has a gun in it.
    Unless you are shooting at a dwarf, if you and I are standing in front of each other and point or arms out, is going to be center mass. A dwarf, well, you'll miss :)
    The idea to point shooting is to build confidence and make the shooter realize that a good defensive shot can be made without worrying about the sights. One thing less to worry about in a critical moment.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Take a wooden dowel, straw,etc... and hold it like you would a pistol. Then with someone close in front of you, come up on center mass. Where is that tip? It's about Damn near perfect center mass. Now if that were a barrel, with a round in it, inside a slide, mounted on a pistol and you pulled the trigger as soon as you extended out, where would that round go?

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Nah. I don't pay attention to the sights. Because you are pointing out of instinct. Because you need to get the shot off. Because I'm looking at the hand coming out of the waistband that has a gun in it.
    Unless you are shooting at a dwarf, if you and I are standing in front of each other and point or arms out, is going to be center mass. A dwarf, well, you'll miss :)
    The idea to point shooting is to build confidence and make the shooter realize that a good defensive shot can be made without worrying about the sights. One thing less to worry about in a critical moment.

And I think that's a bit of the differance too. I'm practicing to shoot cardboard. No one is reaching for a gun in front of me. I just want to know if that shot was a A or a C. So I can decide if I need to send another shot at it to improve my score.

I want to practice always looking for my sights, so in a match when the pressure is on and the buzzer goes off. I want to get good hits. If I've programed myself to do that, it will just happen with out thinking. That's the goal anyway.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And I think that's a bit of the differance too. I'm practicing to shoot cardboard. No one is reaching for a gun in front of me. I just want to know if that shot was a A or a C. So I can decide if I need to send another shot at it to improve my score.

I want to practice always looking for my sights, so in a match when the pressure is on and the buzzer goes off. I want to get good hits. If I've programed myself to do that, it will just happen with out thinking. That's the goal anyway.

Yeah. I don't shoot matches so I can't give you any pointers. Since they are not life and death, some sight alignment can be used ;)

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I've never been in a gunfight, but have had plenty of sims battles. I have also shot plenty of competition. In competition I always use my sights unless they are spitting distance targets. In sims battles, I rarely use the sights when my opponent is looking at me with a gun pointed my way. When I am shooting someone aimed at someone else, I use the sights.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've never been in a gunfight, but have had plenty of sims battles. I have also shot plenty of competition. In competition I always use my sights unless they are spitting distance targets. In sims battles, I rarely use the sights when my opponent is looking at me with a gun pointed my way. When I am shooting someone aimed at someone else, I use the sights.

This is funny. Spot on. In force on force sims battles, I only wear the mandatory helmet and always wear gloves.
    Since we are just pounding away at each other shooting center mass, the hands are always getting hit. I hate puffy knuckles. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom