• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    Glock experts. Is the entire lineup going to the new Rough Texture Frame basically a 4th Generation glock? I am having a hard time between the G19 and G17 and want to know if everything is going to be RTF soon. Thanks

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The RTF, actually called RTF2, is just an optional thing at this point. From what i've heard, the 4th gen glocks will have removeable panels in the grip to adjust the size, like the S&W M&P. They just had a few ads hinting at this recently.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I saw the RTF at a show last week. DNW. Glocks had a distinctive look, and I liked them. Had a 17 but sold it, simply because of money. They're great guns, and I didn't really think they needed improvement.

However, a lot of times the difference between someone liking or disliking a great handgun is how it fits the hand. I think SIG had the right idea with the P250. Removable grip panels are ok, but part of Glock's charm is a low number of parts. With changeable grips, the KISS factor is reduced a bit, IMO.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    My Handguns magazine that just came had the RTF on the cover and an article about it. They said there is little difference between it and the old one, but if you had them side by side, you would probably take the RTF. He said the grip is more comfortable and sticky compared to the old one. I think the finger grooves are less pronounced, something many have been looking for since few people have fingers that fit the grooves perfectly. The author said the grip felt smaller, but all dimensions are essentially the same. He also said that the G17 is already out and the others are coming soon, with the G19 following very soon.

I'm not sold on the slide serrations yet, they look like gills. They really should face the other way for easier manipulation.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    My understanding is that the 4th Gen. Glocks will be introduced at the 2010 Shotshow.

RTF2 is simply an option to an essentially 3rd Gen model. Rough texture finish on the frame, and the fish gill serrations on the slide are the most notable differences to my eye. The tenifer finish on the slide might have a slightly different look to it.

I have a RTF2 G22, that I like a lot. The rough texture provides a very secure feeling in hand, it isn't going anywhere. The texture is rather sharp. I wonder if that might be a problem for some if shooting a lot of heavily recoiling rounds.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    My Handguns magazine that just came had the RTF on the cover and an article about it. They said there is little difference between it and the old one, but if you had them side by side, you would probably take the RTF. He said the grip is more comfortable and sticky compared to the old one. I think the finger grooves are less pronounced, something many have been looking for since few people have fingers that fit the grooves perfectly. The author said the grip felt smaller, but all dimensions are essentially the same. He also said that the G17 is already out and the others are coming soon, with the G19 following very soon.

I'm not sold on the slide serrations yet, they look like gills. They really should face the other way for easier manipulation.

The slide serations on the rtf2 frames have been made in both directions. One direction for the earliest models, and the other direction for current models. If you look hard enough you'll find them.

janoss

Oct 1, 2009
    Can you get a Glock 19C with the RTF and new style slide serrations?

would this be a special order?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I heard from a friend who works for one of the larger importers in the US that Glock was also looking at a way to add an optional safety on some models and a way to disassemble without pulling the trigger. These are the two things more than any others that tend to cost them the most police contracts. Though as best as anyone can tell they still probably have better than half the domestic LE market in the US.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I heard from a friend who works for one of the larger importers in the US that Glock was also looking at a way to add an optional safety on some models and a way to disassemble without pulling the trigger. These are the two things more than any others that tend to cost them the most police contracts. Though as best as anyone can tell they still probably have better than half the domestic LE market in the US.

That's awesome. I just put a down payment on a Taurus 709 Slim for layaway because it not only has a manual safety, but it's a true double-action striker fired pistol with 2nd-strike capability. :D

Put those features in a single-stack 9mm Glock and I'm sold.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Anyone have any more direct experience with the RTF? My Glock-A-Day certificate came in and the RTF is included as an option. Thinking about a Gen 3 G19 with it, particularly to help new shooters.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    Anyone have any more direct experience with the RTF? My Glock-A-Day certificate came in and the RTF is included as an option. Thinking about a Gen 3 G19 with it, particularly to help new shooters.

I just picked up a Gen3 G19 with the RTF2 and NS yesterday. As far as the RTF goes it's fairly abrasive. I would equate it to 30LPI checkering on a 1911 frontstrap and mainspring housing (perhaps a little sharper). It's definitely not something you would want to have rubbing against your skin in say an IWB holster. My opinion would be that it's too aggressive for new shooters. New shooters that I've worked with tend to want to strangle the gun. If they do that with this finish they'll have sore hands fairly quickly and that might lead to other bad habits with the grip. Just my .02.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thanks Baumer. That's essentialy what Dan at Gun Connection told me as well so I opted to go with a regular Gen3 G19.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Have a G19 RTF2, and love it. (No fish gills.) Purchased 2/2010 from Atlantic. Great service, would buy again. First handgun, too, btw.

It is fairly abrasive and after 200-300 rounds it does start to chew away at the webbing of your hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom