• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have XD9 and Glock 22, 19 (had 27) and prefer the Glock and trust my life with it everyday. I can't say that for SA. What I couldn't get use to is the grip safety, just my preference I don't like external safeties....just something else that can go wrong. (not that an internal safety can't).

Problem that I have is in a Self Defense sitution I'm unable to establish my master grip and i'm forced to fire with some strange one handed, two handed or even have put the pistol b/n my feet grip (I'm say this seriously if both palms are f*cked up) I can still get my round off with a Glock

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Personally I prefer the grip angle of the Glock. I tend to aim too low with the xdm. My wife has been wanting a 9mm and has shot several different brands and believe it or not the one she prefers is.... the M&P. It just goes to show that one person's preference is not always going to be everyone's. They are all fine weapons that seem to be very reliable. Get what feels best to you.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have XD9 and Glock 22, 19 (had 27) and prefer the Glock and trust my life with it everyday. I can't say that for SA. What I couldn't get use to is the grip safety, just my preference I don't like external safeties....just something else that can go wrong. (not that an internal safety can't).

Problem that I have is in a Self Defense sitution I'm unable to establish my master grip and i'm forced to fire with some strange one handed, two handed or even have put the pistol b/n my feet grip (I'm say this seriously if both palms are f*cked up) I can still get my round off with a Glock

Other than not owning the XD9 or the G19, I agree with everything he says about the Glock. Personal preference, but I trust my life to it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Although I can respect your choice, the comparison isn't between the XD and a Glock, it's between the XDM and the Glock - the XD and the XDM are quite a bit different.
    yeah i dont own one, I just shoot it a lot, its an xdM. Figured i'd try to slip an slight of hand condescending miss speak in there for an obvious lesser firearm :) lol j/k sorta
    Ah - ok, I see your point. :)

I think that part of the "problem" with the XD and XDM is that unlike the Glock, they don't have a couple of decades of proven performance under their belt, although it's not unheard of for a Glock to misfire for various reasons too. A friend of mine - Baltimore City Police - was once in a situation where he had to fire his service weapon, a Glock in 40 S&W, and it jammed after the second shot. Not sure if he limp wristed, fired too quickly or what, but it probably saved the life of the kid that he shot because he might have fired more than just those two rounds if it hadn't jammed.

RingKnocker48

Feb 5, 2009
    Land of the Hons
    I fully agree that you should pick what is best for you (me) but I really enjoy seeing what others have to say.

I read a lot more on this forum than I post and I really respect the opinions that everyone has give. Thanks to all who have given their input on this topic!!

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I would trust my life with a glock over an XD but they are both reliable guns.

I do shoot better with an XD than a glock (just a little bit) but I just like glocks more. More customizable, better grip angle for me, great selection in sizes, and frankly just a simple gun. And its been tested for MANY years, and the results are: One of the most, if not THE most, reliable pistol on the market.

Plus I effing hate that grip safety on the XD. GRRR

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    0222091450.jpg
    take that! bwahahahahaha

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ...of course to be fair, the fact that i thought it was so remarkable that a glock jammed that i had to get a picture right then and there speaks volumes to their reliability

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    ...of course to be fair, the fact that i thought it was so remarkable that a glock jammed that i had to get a picture right then and there speaks volumes to their reliability
    in reguards to the 3pt feed jam

Not to mention Thick gloves+new subcompact G30(less than 200 rds through it, never lubed per manual)+XTP handloads+brand new LWD barrel= 1 failure in 500 rounds, corrected by a slap on the bottom of the mag.;)

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    NOT going to say "Glock never jams" its jamed on me and a guy I work with that shoots IDPA. Everytime it jamed for me it was shooter error (I will admit it was my fault) and his jammed because he reloads his ammo and the casing was beat up.

you make is sound like you took a picture of a UFO or bigfoot.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    NOT going to say "Glock never jams" its jamed on me and a guy I work with that shoots IDPA. Everytime it jamed for me it was shooter error (I will admit it was my fault) and his jammed because he reloads his ammo and the casing was beat up.

you make is sound like you took a picture of a UFO or bigfoot.

sure, they're just machines that fail from time to time like every other machine ever built...but they do tend to bang reliably unless the person handling the gun does something the gun doesnt like to keep it from going off. primarily i took the picture to screw with jeepdriver because of the 1911vsglock thread but still according to you the jams were because of something like limpwristing or f'd up ammo and not that the gun was designed poorly. still not something very common to see a jammed glock

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County

Let's also not forget that's a Lone Wolf barrel in there, not the stock barrel.

I have a LW barrel I use in my G19 for use with my Gemtech Trinity and the feed ramp is slightly tighter than stock. I can physically drop a round into either barrel and the LW barrel has noticeably (even to the naked eye) less unsupported chamber area.

And to continue the comments following the picture since I was a little late to the party: no machine is problem free or perfect. Glocks are machines like any other firearm and will eventually fail, need replacement parts, etc. However, they have a reputation for reliability that has yet to be matched by any other semi-automatic handgun ever made. The grip angle bugs some people and they are a bit antiquated with their lack of bells and whistles like replaceable backstraps, but they ARE stupid simple and stupid reliable. The fact that there are so many striker fired guns like the XD, M&P, etc that borrow so much of the original Glock design speaks volumes.

In the end it comes down to the preference of the buyer, but I have yet to fire one of the competitors' offerings (including the XDM) that would make me want to switch from the Glock.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I only own a glock 22 and a sig sauer p226. I have a buddy with an XDm. I have shot them both and i have to say for my money the glock is a better pistol. I don't know where this accuracy comment is coming from. As far as the XD being more accurate. I would beg to differ. My glock is highly accurate. Now the trigger wasn't the greatest, so i bought one of those ghost trigger 3.5lb trigger pull bars. That sweetened it up considerably. I love my glock, but in the end i think its whichever one sits the best in your hand.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I would trust my life with a glock over an XD but they are both reliable guns.

I do shoot better with an XD than a glock (just a little bit) but I just like glocks more. More customizable, better grip angle for me, great selection in sizes, and frankly just a simple gun. And its been tested for MANY years, and the results are: One of the most, if not THE most, reliable pistol on the market.

Plus I effing hate that grip safety on the XD. GRRR

Just wondering if you have ever shot any 1911's? If you have time with them then the grip safety on the XD isn't much different.

Jacks or Better

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    AACo
    This isn't a very technical review, but it's a review none-the-less...

I've been shooting a LOT of different pistols of late. Including the Glock 22 and the XDM .40.

When I fired the XDM, it was an instant fit. It felt right in my hand. It fired smoothly and readily fell back on target after the recoil.

When I fired the Glock, I felt the need to keep repositioning my hold in it after every shot or two. It fired smoothly enough but I felt I had to force it back on target after each shot.

non-technical summary...

XDM gave me the warm and fuzzies, the Glock did not. :lol2:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Just wondering if you have ever shot any 1911's? If you have time with them then the grip safety on the XD isn't much different.

Yeah, I just don't like grip safety as a rule. They just annoy me. Personal preference, I don't know why. I don't hate them on 1911s as much, but it seems redundant to put one on an XD. Plus, when I'm shooting a 1911, I'm more focused on the awesomeness i'm holding in my hand than the grip safety.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Chevy or Ford?

Go shoot or at least handle these guns. They're both good quality and in the same price range. I can't stand the grips on the XDs but they are built solidly. Grip and handling are major factors in choosing a firearm.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Just picked up a new G21SF w/NS and the Pic Rail.

SF doesn't stand for Short Frame, Slim Frame or Sexy Frame

It stands for "Schweeeeet Focker

Just need to get a TR-2 so it will be ready for it's All Weather, Night Fighter duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom