• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I figured it was time for me to write something up as I’ve been lazy as of late. I got to the range late yesterday having missed the monthly plate match and ran into a few MDS members. Alucard asked me what was my “go to carbine.” I’ve done a lot of experimenting with different set-ups over the past two years, much of it with optics combinations, and this is where I am currently. This is a LWRCI M6A3 mid-length gas piston carbine that has approximately 2,000 rds through it and roughly 500 of that suppressed. Ammunition has been exclusively Federal XM193 55grn. The only maintenance this gun has seen: ran a bore snake through it twice; removed the top hand guard once to wiped down the gas block and barrel with SLIP EWL; wiped down the bolt twice. I have had zero malfunctions with this carbine. It went back to the factory once to have the barrel re-indexed as the front sight was canted.

As I mentioned previously, I have experimented with lots of optic combinations. These include the Trijicon ACOG ECOS 4x32, Schmidt and Bender 1.1-4 Short Dot, Aimpoint Micro T-1 by itself, and the T-1/3x Magnifier Combo. I first tried the latter in a Aimpoint Twist Mount and then in the Larue mount. I have settled on the T-1/3x Magnifier Combo. Both the T-1 and 3x are in Larue mounts and they are, IMO, the standard.

Other specs for this carbine are as follows: Vltor Modstock; Troy BUIS; Vltor/BCM Gunfighter CH MOD 3; Magpul MIAD grip; KNS anti-rotational pins; stippled rail covers by me; Surefire Scout light in Larue mount; Magpul AFG; Knight’s Armament hand stop; BFG Vicker’s VCAS Sling; Gemtech Quikmount flash hider for G5 suppressor. The BCM Gunfighter charging handle is another piece of must have kit on an AR IMO. I like the large latch MOD as it is easy to manipulate with the support hand while maintaining the rifle on target.

I just recently added the KAC hand stop at the 9 o’clock. I was previously wrapping my thumb over the top rail to aid in driving the gun and controlling recoil/muzzle climb. I am much more comfortable with this combination, but I have small hands and those with longer digits might not agree. I also run the AFG as far out as possible. This allows me to grip the gun even further forward out under the gas block further aiding in aggressively driving the gun from target to target.

I had a chance to work this carbine out at my friend Eric Lawrence’s Blackheart facility in Phillipe, WV a few months back. We engaged steel silhouettes out to 500yds. I ran the M6A3 as well as the SCAR L with ACOG ECOS. This was the hardest I’ve run this gun- approximately 500rds over 4 hrs with 200 of that suppressed getting it so hot that it was uncomfortable to handle even with gloves. I was able to make regular hits at 400yds from the prone with the M6A3/T-1 combo with no magnification. For those familiar with the T-1, much of your target is obscured by the dot at that distance. I use a 50/200 zero, so I was holding about 2 ft over the target (drop for XM193/50yd zero/400yds is 21.6in). I was able to make easy hits from the standing unsupported on ½ size silhouettes positioned in the driver side windows of vehicles at 200 and 230yds. The SCAR/ECOS combo made prone magazine monopod 400 & 500yd hits easy. I don't have any action pics of the LWRCI, but I included one of the the SCAR as well as the vehicle targets from the ridge line firing point.

I’m now running a T-1 on the SCAR as well and it makes for a very lightweight and pleasant to shoot package. In closing, I like either one of these carbines as a go to piece. Both have proven to be reliable, hard use carbines.

Attachments

• 2010 Stuff 080.jpg
      2010 Stuff 080.jpg
      107.3 KB · Views: 476
    • 2010 Stuff 078.jpg
      2010 Stuff 078.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 476
    • 2010 Stuff 075.jpg
      2010 Stuff 075.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 474
    • 2010 Stuff 081.jpg
      2010 Stuff 081.jpg
      100.6 KB · Views: 471
    • 2010 Stuff 087.jpg
      2010 Stuff 087.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 471
    • 2010 Stuff 024.jpg
      2010 Stuff 024.jpg
      94.6 KB · Views: 471
    • 2010 Stuff 047.jpg
      2010 Stuff 047.jpg
      155.5 KB · Views: 472

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Very nice! Thanks for the write up. The SCAR is next on my list. Of course I could get lucky and win the SCAR that is up for raffle at the Fall Shoot. :fingerscrossed:

Oh, and nice receiver art! I guess that would be the modern day version of this:

Attachments

• Empire Crusader.jpg
      Empire Crusader.jpg
      19.9 KB · Views: 461

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    DD,

Roger on the politically incorrect magwell art. I roll with the whole Templar theme. I have to add that I have a reason for playing around in the whole AR piston game that is professional in nature. I don't think that anyone has done the necessary hard testing required to really prove one operating system over the other. The DI system has gotten a lot of undeserved bad press over the years. I've told a few folks recently that if I were buying a new AR today it would be a BCM mid-length. I had heard how nice they were and then I shot Soup 101's gun and it is an absolute dream. He has a Larue 12.0 rail and a PWS comp on it- it is extremely light in recoil with nearly zero muzzle climb. Super smooth gun. Next in line would be a Colt 6920 with a DD rail. You also can't go wrong with any of the LMT guns. I own a factory MRP SBR and have both the 10.5 " DI and 12.5" piston kits for it- nice gun with a lot of flexibility.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    My "go to" carbine right now happens to be a Colt 6920 with a DD rail and a TA31F. I just hate the trigger with a passion. I'm not sure what to go with as a replacement, as I don't want a fragile match trigger, but I do want a 2-stage trigger that has a much lighter pull, a clean break, and is also durable.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My "go to" carbine right now happens to be a Colt 6920 with a DD rail and a TA31F. I just hate the trigger with a passion. I'm not sure what to go with as a replacement, as I don't want a fragile match trigger, but I do want a 2-stage trigger that has a much lighter pull, a clean break, and is also durable.

I can work that trigger into a nice single stage 4# battle reliable unit with your factory parts (As long as it has a round hammer),

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Oooh, I'd be all about that. Anything is better than the stock trigger as is.

Bring it to the fall shoot. Ill take a look at ti and let you know what I can do. If you want me to do my majic I can take it to the shop and work it over.

The jobs on me. I dont want your money. ;)

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Nice piece and nice shooting, but at those ranges, I won't be using my carbine.
    I have an SPR for that duty. ;)

Good write-up. :thumbsup:

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Definitely agree on giving the middie carbines a good look. Especially in this environment...longer gas tube, better ergos than a carbine-length upper...I'd personally build a Spike's Tactical middy with Magpul furniture everywhere.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010

I have the same rifle, a colt 6920, and i hated my trigger too. I got a Geissele SSA, a two stage combat trigger. Simply put, I love it. It's a world of difference from the stock trigger.

Alittle pricey, but well worth it. I bought mine from Bill at Triple Bravo, for alot less than the price on midway, and he installed it for free.:thumbsup:

here's the thread about them http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=41796&highlight=geissele+ssa

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    LWRC makes awesome stuff. I've been out to BHI before, cool facility. A guy I went to school with works as a gunsmith there now. Neat facility, but out in the middle of freaking nowhere! :)

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    LWRC makes awesome stuff. I've been out to BHI before, cool facility. A guy I went to school with works as a gunsmith there now. Neat facility, but out in the middle of freaking nowhere! :)

His nickname is "New Guy". He is from Georgia, right? I met his parents when I was up there last. He is a good kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom