• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which is a better length for SSR/IDPA?

• Total voters

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm talking SSR and eventually ESR here...

I currently have a Ruger LCR on my short list... so I have my BUG covered, but I am thinking about how much I know and shoot semis, where I don't even own a revolver.

I'm looking at the S&W 586, Ruger GP100, or something similar. I wanted input from those who attend a lot of matches, or maybe who have even competed in these divisions.

My main question is which is better, a 4" or 6" barrel? I understand that a 4" barrel is easier to draw, but obviously the balance and increased sight radius of a 6" have advantages too. Do revolvers need to fit in "the box" like semi-autos? Sorry, I don't have my rulebook next to me, so just figured I would ask anyway.

Also, does anyone run .357 Mag all the time or pretty much just .38 SPL +P (or whatever meets the power factor requirements)?

Any helpful tips are ALWAYS appreciated!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    hope this will help.

ESR

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:
    A. Be any revolver of 9mm caliber (.355” or larger) or larger
    bore diameter utilizing rimmed or rimless cartridges, which
    may safely make a power factor of 165,000.
    B. Have a barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the
    front of the cylinder).
    C. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 50 oz.
    D. Be loaded to the division capacity of six (6) rounds in the
    cylinder. Seven (7) and eight (8) shot revolvers are permitted,
    but may only load six (6) rounds.
    Revolver may be reloaded via speedloader or full moon clip.
    PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
    1. Sights to another conventional notch and post type (see
    “sights” in glossary for further information).
    2. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is
    maintained (smoothing the trigger face, removing the hammer
    spur, use of over travel stop, conversion to DA only and
    addition of ball detent are considered action work and are
    permitted).
    3. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory
    configuration (no weighted grips).
    4. Chamfer the rear of the chambers.
    5. Shortening of factory barrels.
    6. Conversion from rimmed to rimless ammunition.
    7. Custom finishes.
    EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):
    1. Oversize or heavy barrels.
    2. Oversize cylinder latches.

SSR
    Handguns permitted for use in this division must be:
    A. Any revolver of .38 Caliber (.357” or larger) or larger that
    utilizes ammunition with a rimmed case and is not reloaded
    with a full moon clip.
    B. Barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the front of
    the cylinder).
    C. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 42 oz.
    D. Be loaded to the division capacity of six (6) rounds in the
    cylinder. Seven (7) and eight (8) shot revolvers are permitted,
    but may only load six (6) rounds.
    PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
    1. Sights to another conventional notch and post type (see
    “sights” in glossary for further information).
    2. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is
    maintained (smoothing the trigger face, removing the hammer
    spur, use of over travel stop, conversion to DA only and
    addition of ball detent are considered action work and are
    permitted).
    3. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory
    configuration (no weighted grips).
    4. Chamfer the rear of the chambers.
    5. Shortening of factory barrels.
    6. Custom finishes.
    EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):
    1. Oversize or heavy barrels.
    2. Oversize cylinder latches.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    For esr look at the .45acp s&w, moon clips and fat stubby rounds for the win.

For ssr either you mentioned is fine, iirc 6"barrel isn't legal.

I'd like to see a Chiappa Rhino slicked up to run about with a steel frame to add some weight.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Got it, 4" it will be! I have the rulebook in my range bag, I was just at work and daydreaming on my lunch, wanted to start a conversation. Guess my poll is pointless lol.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Got it, 4" it will be! I have the rulebook in my range bag, I was just at work and daydreaming on my lunch, wanted to start a conversation. Guess my poll is pointless lol.

Si vis pacem para bellum

nothing wrong with day dreaming..

couple shoot revolver at the matches I go to.. they shoot mostly 38spl.. I know there is one guy shoots 9mm revolver.

im already slow as it is with semi.. so I don't want to try revolvers.. lol

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    nothing wrong with day dreaming..

couple shoot revolver at the matches I go to.. they shoot mostly 38spl.. I know there is one guy shoots 9mm revolver.

im already slow as it is with semi.. so I don't want to try revolvers.. lol

I have not shot my classifiers yet in SSP and CDP, but I shot very well compared to others at AAFG. I have seen some of the distinguished masters say that they will switch to revolvers for a few months every so often to slow things down and focus on marksmanship over raw speed, and that when they return to semis they are always a little faster and more accurate.

I have always respected and liked revolvers, but I never got one for myself. My mom has a S&W model 10 and my dad has a 19, both were good deals I snagged for them and I have done a little action work to both.

And Numidian - I have seen the PC Jerry Miculek .45 revolvers... :drool: once I feel ready for ESR I'll consider that one heavily!

Si vis pacem para bellum

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have not shot my classifiers yet in SSP and CDP, but I shot very well compared to others at AAFG. I have seen some of the distinguished masters say that they will switch to revolvers for a few months every so often to slow things down and focus on marksmanship over raw speed, and that when they return to semis they are always a little faster and more accurate.

I have always respected and liked revolvers, but I never got one for myself. My mom has a S&W model 10 and my dad has a 19, both were good deals I snagged for them and I have done a little action work to both.

And Numidian - I have seen the PC Jerry Miculek .45 revolvers... :drool: once I feel ready for ESR I'll consider that one heavily!

Si vis pacem para bellum

only qualified in ssp and esp so far.. but then again only started late summer last year..

all my life.. only shot one or two revolvers.. that's all I know about them.. was thinking of getting one.. but still haven't done it yet.

maybe in a month or two.. i'll look into it again.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I've got a 625 for ESR and a GP-100 for SSR. I like them both but usually go with the 625 because I haven't quite mastered the reload with the SSR speedloaders.

I like the revolvers. Forces me to slow down and think a little bit and I've always been a wheelgun fan.

Dec 31, 2012
    The newer Ruger sp101 357 has a 4.2" barrel if your looking to max out the length but is only a 5 shot.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    only qualified in ssp and esp so far.. but then again only started late summer last year..

all my life.. only shot one or two revolvers.. that's all I know about them.. was thinking of getting one.. but still haven't done it yet.

maybe in a month or two.. i'll look into it again.

Same. I joined IDPA in September, never got a chance to get to a classifier, then I had some extra bills, the whole panic buying thing started.... but now I'm in a better spot and looking to continue what I started off last fall!

Si vis pacem para bellum

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The newer Ruger sp101 357 has a 4.2" barrel if your looking to max out the length but is only a 5 shot.

I do like the SP101, but being limited to only 5 shots I would rather just get a LCR. Being in VA I need a good EDC/BUG for when I don't want to rock a proper belt and holster type rig. I think the LCR fits that role quite well. :)

I think I NEED this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=342219465

Si vis pacem para bellum

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    I have a 4" model 686 and a 4" PC 625 and run both frequently in matches. For SSR, I'm convinced that pretty much any quality k or l frame sized .38 or .357, including the GP-100, can be a winner. Consider the model 67 and model 15 in .38 special. A few pros are making those the "new thing". For ESR, there is a little scuttlebutt about Ruger coming out with a factory moonclipped .45 acp gun. Ruger apparently put a prototype on the prize table at the recent USPSA Revolver nationals. I'd also consider having a model 629 .44 mag cut for moonclips. Run .44 special in major power factor and that can be your ESR gun. Download with trailboss or light cowboy loads, run with speedloaders and it's your SSR gun.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Same. I joined IDPA in September, never got a chance to get to a classifier, then I had some extra bills, the whole panic buying thing started.... but now I'm in a better spot and looking to continue what I started off last fall!

Si vis pacem para bellum

where did you shoot idpa at? sanners idpa is coming up on the first.. we just had classification a month or two ago.

i was surprised that i made marksman in both class. uspsa in other hand.. dont have the speed for it... :o

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    where did you shoot idpa at? sanners idpa is coming up on the first.. we just had classification a month or two ago.

i was surprised that i made marksman in both class. uspsa in other hand.. dont have the speed for it... :o

AAFG for a few matches. Sanners is a bit far, but a few guys from work shoot there so I'm sure I'll end up there for a match here or there. I'm looking for a good club in NoVA but haven't yet... I think the NRA HQ does some, but I really prefer outdoor matches.

I have also heard that Sanners classifier matches are for members only, is that true?

Si vis pacem para bellum

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    AAFG for a few matches. Sanners is a bit far, but a few guys from work shoot there so I'm sure I'll end up there for a match here or there. I'm looking for a good club in NoVA but haven't yet... I think the NRA HQ does some, but I really prefer outdoor matches.

I have also heard that Sanners classifier matches are for members only, is that true?

Si vis pacem para bellum

classifier.. not hundred percent sure, but i'll ask.

as far as sanners.. nothing but good folks that attend the matches from all over (non-members). im about 45mins from there myself.. but its worth the drive. :D

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Try Fairfax Rod and Gun Club. They have expanded their capacity for more shooters and expanded the match. This month was 7 stages on 3 different ranges. Second Saturdays. Signup on the website.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I have a 4" model 686 and a 4" PC 625 and run both frequently in matches. For SSR, I'm convinced that pretty much any quality k or l frame sized .38 or .357, including the GP-100, can be a winner. Consider the model 67 and model 15 in .38 special. A few pros are making those the "new thing". For ESR, there is a little scuttlebutt about Ruger coming out with a factory moonclipped .45 acp gun. Ruger apparently put a prototype on the prize table at the recent USPSA Revolver nationals. I'd also consider having a model 629 .44 mag cut for moonclips. Run .44 special in major power factor and that can be your ESR gun. Download with trailboss or light cowboy loads, run with speedloaders and it's your SSR gun.

If they do that I will be camped out for it!!!! I had thought before about getting a Redhawk in 45LC and run 45acp's in it. I never did though.

Hopefuly if it happens, it will happen prior to October.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    If they do that I will be camped out for it!!!! I had thought before about getting a Redhawk in 45LC and run 45acp's in it. I never did though.

Hopefuly if it happens, it will happen prior to October.

I am excited about it too. Unfortunately, it was won by a team Smith & Wesson shooter. :sad20: I certainly hope it's ready to debut before next year's SHOT show and certainly before MD folks have to jump through hoops to get it. I was right there with you on the Redhawk idea before I heard this rumor.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I just saw a S&W 686 SSR today... $890 though... :(

Si vis pacem para bellum

See if you can find a plain old 686. A friend of mine has a 686 SSR and while it's nice, it's not almost 900 dollar nice!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom