• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The other day at a buddy's birthday party one of my co-workers mentioned that he would like to go shooting and his wife also expressed interest. The fact that the wife had interest did surprise the coworker since his wife asked him to get rid of his one firearm after they got married years ago. The woman said that she thought the kids are old enough now and that she wanted to try shooting.

We exchanged some emails trying to nail down a day when everyone had time, today was that day. during the email exchanges I also sent my buddy several NRA safety links and the link to the MD online training site and asked that they take the course. Yes, it isn't that good, but it is better than nothing.

After a brief explanation of how the 9mm S&W M&P works we sent a target to 4 yards and I loaded a mag with one round. Sheri slowly and carefully picked the empty pistol up and dry fired it once and then she loaded with the one round mag. She put the round dead center of one of the IDPA targets. The look on her face was priceless. The look on her husband was also priceless. My buddy's fiance insisted that we take that target down so Sheri could take it home. We did and replaced the target and then I gave Sheri a mag with five rounds. Her groups were consistently better than her husband's. She fired probably 45 rounds out of two handguns and she did like the sights on my SIG P2022 better than the sights on the M&P.

Mike, my buddy, really liked shooting the AR and the two handguns as well. Sheri wasn't all that keen on trying the AR and I need to check which eye is her dominant eye. She is left handed but I think she may be right eye dominant.

I did suggest that they take a formal training class but at least the ice is broken.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Great story! Good on you for emphasizing safety and instilling it on the newbies. I firmly believe it's every American's *duty and privilege* to know how to safely handle and operate pistols and rifles.

I did the same yesterday; my GF and I took a couple to the outdoor range. After some safety practice with the dummy rubber gun, we talked about stance, grip, sight picture, breath and trigger control. Then we fired pistols: 22, 380, 9mm, 357 revolver, and 40 S&W. Targets were set at 25ft, and they both got all their rounds on the 20x20 target paper. Many were inside the 6" circle. They enjoyed the experience and cannot wait to go back...they even hinted around "going to look as some pistols" at a shop. The disease continues to spread =o)

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The buddy, Mike, tried to get his wife to try the AR a second time. She wasn't comfortable with it and I told him "no". I told Sheri that we will try another rifle but when she wants to try it. That was OK with her. Baby steps before we run, right?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    That is the key. Make sure she is comfortable with it and she is ready to try it. Undue pressure will force her to fight it harder than she wants to.

subvet

Apr 15, 2012
    Rising Sun
    The buddy, Mike, tried to get his wife to try the AR a second time. She wasn't comfortable with it and I told him "no". I told Sheri that we will try another rifle but when she wants to try it. That was OK with her. Baby steps before we run, right?

Good Job that you emphasized safety first.
    Especially preventing your buddy from pressuring his wife on the AR.

Being uncomfortable with a weapon and being pressured to fire it, is not the place anyone should be (especially a novice).
    :thumbsup:

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Good Job that you emphasized safety first.
    Especially preventing your buddy from pressuring his wife on the AR.

Being uncomfortable with a weapon and being pressured to fire it, is not the place anyone should be (especially a novice).
    :thumbsup:

Excellent... one shooter at a time. The rest of us some catching up to do.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom