Got My New Lee Load-All 2 Yesterday... HELP !

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Lee Load-All II purchased for 20/12 gauge shotshell.

First impression right out of the box... it's a cute little thing.

Certainly not made for the hands of men. It's really awkward trying to run hulls around the stations with this compact unit. It's like trying to bake a full sized cake in a Holly Hobby oven.

Does it work well ? Yes. (so far as I can tell)

Is it easy to understand for a first time user ? No, The instructions are less than accommodating to someone who has never used one before.

One question I have , that the manual does not explain is, Do I have to make sure the Shot / Powder switch is in the center ? I don't know if the shot / powder will dribble out or not, if the switch is not in the center, the manual does not detail this.

I did a few learning passes with each station and got to final crimp a few times. I have mastered the final crimp, but, I still have some questions.

Now, about all these little red powder and shot bushings...

I assume there is a slot of one each on the charge bar, one for a powder bushing and one for a shot bushing ( sorry for asking before actually taking the face plate off first ) . Of course I do not need a bushing for reloading slugs, but, I assume these bushings are a predetermined "powder measure", as I would understand it from loading a muzzleloader ? Sorry if this sounds like complete newbie questions, I am not an ignorant man, I just wish to live as long as possible.

I plan to load only 20 Ga slugs with this press, so, I'm looking at the .95, .100, and .105 powder bushings only, HOWEVER, this bushing chart shows loads for Hodgdon Clays power, but, the load data chart on the reverse side does not show Hodgdon Clays power using these three bushings. I am aware that Clays is not recommended for 20 Ga rounds, but, can I use it for light 20 Ga. loads ? Or do I just go get a can of Int. Clays, Universal Clays, HS6 ?

Notes, suggestions, experienced user lessons, more than welcome here.

Below is a picture of my first attempt at a crimp with this unit. It's filled with bird seed. It's the cheapest "practice powder" I have in the garage.

Attachments

• FIRST LEE LOAD ALL 20 GA CRIMP.jpg
      FIRST LEE LOAD ALL 20 GA CRIMP.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 1,531

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    When stuff like that happens best thing to do is look it up on Youtube. Best there are some very good tutorials on there.

I agree. The reason I asked is I'd rather come to a resource that might have the answers instead of looking for a video of some mental case or some kid who is about as clueless as I am on the current subject. I've watched a few videos on YT about a some things here recently and boy I don't know if them guys should be near ammo or guns.

BTW, that Lee press I got from you has been getting a nice workout over the past few days. Thanks again.

Mason-Dixon

Nov 26, 2011
    The shot/powder slide is designed to be either all the way right or left at any given time. Fill the powder hopper at least 2/3 full with the desired powder Size the shell with the ring provided and decap at the same time/Seat the new primer/With the powder bushing desired drop the powder and leave the slide to the opposite side as when you started. This allows the shot to fill the weight bushing. You won't be using this feature if doing slugs. In that case move the slide briskly back to where you started and the powder will fill the appropriate bushing by volume again. (After filling the hopper(s) I always cycled the slide and dropped several charges and returned them to the hopper(s) to get the powder and shot settled). Seat the wad firmly but do not crush it./ Move the shell to the next station and insert the slug. Use the crimping station for either the 6 or 8 fold as desired on unfired casings. I would use the crimping station that the used shell originally came with. Line up the old folds with the crimp teeth by eye./ A good heavy hand can be used at the crimping stations but don't collapse the entire shell. A little practice will let you know how much pressure to apply.
    I screwed mine to a short section of 2x6 hardwood and then clamped the entire thing to the bench to make it stable.
    I think it's best to stick with the powders the bushings are calibrated for. They almost never throw the weight listed and the load will be probably be a little less than the bushing states. You can weigh the powder to know exactly how much the bushing is off if you wish. Occasionally, but not always, the next size bushing will throw the load a little closer to the stated weight, depends on the powder used. If you weigh about 10 charges and average them out you will know if the next size bushing is safe to use for that powder.

Once you practice with it a few times you will find it very easy to use. It's not fast but will make excellent shells once you get the "hang" of it.
    Good luck

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I personaly do not use the shot/ powder bushngs.

I deprime/ size and reprime with the press.
    I then drop the powder from my powder measure like I would a centerfire round.
    I then push in a wad and use the press to seat it.

I then use a shot mesure (little scoop thing) and dip the shot and pour it into the shotshell

I then use the press to crimp the shell.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    My first shot shell loader was this same one. The bushings worked fine however i found only Federal or AA hulls crimped good. You should be able to load Federals several times and AA;s more than that. I used Unique but also only relaoded 12 ga.
    It's fun to start loading your own, i now use MEC rig

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I personaly do not use the shot/ powder bushngs.

I deprime/ size and reprime with the press.
    I then drop the powder from my powder measure like I would a centerfire round.
    I then push in a wad and use the press to seat it.

I then use a shot mesure (little scoop thing) and dip the shot and pour it into the shotshell

I then use the press to crimp the shell.

That's exactly how I have been doing it. I have two of these presses now and I have rang up several hundred 12 & 20 gauge slugs with them. They are just a tad "backwards" it's like the center support is just in the way. It's a great press if you're naturally ambidextrous. Have to do 2 things with your right hand and two things with your left, it's quite aggravating to be honest. I don't bother with shot, they are cheaper to buy, this is all slug reloading use.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My first shot shell loader was this same one. The bushings worked fine however i found only Federal or AA hulls crimped good. You should be able to load Federals several times and AA;s more than that. I used Unique but also only relaoded 12 ga.
    It's fun to start loading your own, i now use MEC rig

Yep. Most of it is 50% hand load and 50% press use. I have reloaded several different hulls and when I find a certain type of hull that's a tough cookie, I run those hulls on my skive attached to the drill press and then everything is reloadable at least once. I have the 20 gauge slugs loaded with the .58 cal Minie bullets down to a science and the Lee 1 oz slugs as well. It took about a week and now I'm tired of reloading slugs. I load 40-50, go shoot them and come back and make more, the "newness" has already worn off.

Now I'm looking for someone who knows something about reloading .44 magnum, and I have not found that guy yet, though many claim to be the guru of it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Lee makes videos and puts them on YouTube. This helped me a lot with the Lee Turret Press I got.

I watch a few videos on YT, most of them are recorded by some weird fellows and to be honest, some really obvious screw-balls that I don't think I'd trust to start with. However, I did finally find a few good videos that answered some of my basic questions only to back up my common sense. The press is now mastered and I own two of them now. One for 20 gauge and one for 12 gauge and I have run off several hundred slug rounds on both presses. I have some design issues with these little presses, but, they both work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom