• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    So here's something that bothers me in general:

Why don't more pistols come with grip serrations from the factory?

Seriously, is it that difficult to machine a few lines into the front and back straps of the grip?

Maybe I'm just griping, but I can't believe the majority of shooters don't mind a simple serration job on their guns. Why is it something only relegated to custom pistols or really expensive models? There are a few choice examples (Beretta 92 has them factory) of sub-$1k pistols with them, but they are few and far between.

Again, probably not something worth losing sleep over, but it has always bothered me.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    How do you feel about grips on a Glock?

Are we talking factory or stippled?

Factory the grip is adequate, but can be a little slippery. It's been a little rollercoaster of a progression over the years. The first generation had nothing, just some mild texture. The second gen introduced the "serrations" in the form of the RTF-1 (Rough Textured Frame gen 1 although never officially called that.) The third gen added the grooves which never really bothered me, but some hate. The introduction of the RTF-2 finish was the high point in my opinion, that grip is like friggin' sandpaper, but was withdrawn because of complaints that it was uncomfortable for concealed carry and tended to snag clothing. The gen 4 RTF-3 finish is better than the RTF-1, but a step backwards from the RTF-2 at least in my opinion.

Stippling? It's hit or miss depending on the person doing the work. I have seen some VERY GOOD examples and some VERY BAD examples. It's easy, but not easy to do right... case in point my ham-handed attempt on my LCP:

2010-11-14_16.29.53.jpg

The felt grip is great, but damn if I didn't make that thing somehow uglier than it started... Oh well, I was bored. I've destroyed more expensive things due to boredom and the availability of a soldering iron.

Of course I was speaking more of metal-framed pistols in my original post, but brevity has never been my strong point.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I see, I was thinking about the Gen2-Gen3 Glocks. They're generally "grippy" enough for me. As for the steel guns, I'd tend to agree with you.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My Kimber has no checkering on the front of the grip, which makes it harder to hold when shooting max 10mm loads out of it. The new RIA I got doesn't have any, either, even on the grips, which really doesn't help since the whole thing is nickeled. My Para has lines on the front, nothing on the back. Same with my CZ-75. I ended up putting skateboard tape on all of them, suddenly I'm not shooting left anymore.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I guess it depends on the caliber. My 1911 (45ACP), does not have front serations, and I dont plan on putting any on it. I dont think the recoil is heavy enough that you cannot control it without it.

Maybe a different case on a high recoil pistol. But the average defense handgun, I really dont see that big of an issue. I think alot of that stuff is more oh ah issues.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    If you're talking about metal guns, it's an extra machining step, which requires additional tooling and increases the price.

As for plastic, I don't believe it would add to the cost, not sure why gun makers don't do it. Maybe because it's considered a "premium" feature?

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    My Kimber has no checkering on the front of the grip, which makes it harder to hold when shooting max 10mm loads out of it. The new RIA I got doesn't have any, either, even on the grips, which really doesn't help since the whole thing is nickeled. My Para has lines on the front, nothing on the back. Same with my CZ-75. I ended up putting skateboard tape on all of them, suddenly I'm not shooting left anymore.

See that's what I'm saying. The little extra bit of "grip-tion" (that's a trademarked word btw haha) helps a lot. Skateboard tape works, but it's ugly. Of course in the battle of function > form several of mine proudly wear skateboard tape. I just wish they had invested a little more into the production to put it there in the first place.

If you're talking about metal guns, it's an extra machining step, which requires additional tooling and increases the price.

As for plastic, I don't believe it would add to the cost, not sure why gun makers don't do it. Maybe because it's considered a "premium" feature?

Yeah but how much extra cost? For example Beretta puts serrations on the 92/M9 and their price point is around the same as many others. CZ puts serrations on the P-01 but not the standard 75 model and they cost damn near the same. How much of an increase could we possibly be talking about?

I totally agree that manufacturers look at serrations as a "premium" feature, but that's what drives me nuts about the whole thing. I could see an argument between levels of serrations from basic to like super-coarse since some soft-handed shooters don't like their grip to feel too rough, but none at all? Then again from years spent in the gym and in the field you could give me a "Bloodsport" grip made by dipping the grip into glue and then broken glass and I'd be happy...

I lost a sale on a Sig 1911 cause of the front checkering.

Lack of checkering or because it had checkering?

Check with Clandestine. I believe he knows who does this on the side.

But that's again my point. Why am I paying $500-1000 for a gun that I have to invest more money into for features that should have been there in the first place?

All in all as I said before I'm not losing sleep over this, but it's just something that rubs me the wrong way.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The simple reason is cost, and some people either don't want to pay for the checkering, or simply don't want it at all. I am in the process of two 1911 builds right now. One gun is a more modern interpretation that will wear checkering. The other gun I am having built would look as out of place with checkering as Lindsey Lohan in church

Punch_master

Dec 27, 2010
    Frederick
    It's hard to do. I did my own on my Kimber and INMHO it turned out good enough to suit me but I doubt I could repeat it. I would NOT recommend that anyone else do their own nor would I ever do another one. The tool costs alone between a jig and the files are almost what it would cost for a gunsmith to do it and chances are yours won't turn out as good as a professional gunsmith's would. I just wanted to learn how to do it because it interested me at the time. It is a scary process because one wrong stroke of the file and your gun is hosed.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    A lot of people are just cutting part of an inner tube and wrapping it around their grips. Not many steel frame guns are being made now, but my S&W autos all have nice grooves and patterns milled in. Of course they're no longer made, and if they were they'd cost $800+. That's why picking up a nice second or third generation pistol is such a great experience! People can whine about their weight, but they were sexy pistols!

SW645.jpg

SW659_20rounder.jpg

SW5906_2.jpg

Taurus_Beretta_Pellet_Small_2.jpg

This Taurus PT-92 and a Beretta air pistol both have grooves.

Beretta950_1.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    See that's what I'm saying. The little extra bit of "grip-tion" (that's a trademarked word btw haha) helps a lot. Skateboard tape works, but it's ugly. Of course in the battle of function > form several of mine proudly wear skateboard tape. I just wish they had invested a little more into the production to put it there in the first place.

I handled some of my pistols this evening, I actually prefer the texture of the skateboard tape versus checkering.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Right, that is exactly the answer. Cost. That's what it's all about in the end.

Every minute counts on material in a manufacturing process. If they added their "costs" in to add more texture... simple as it may be, it will still add more time, more tools, and more money to jack the price up. If they offered optional light, medium and heavy range of knurling, that would probably even be more expensive.

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD

Well, GLOCK offered the RTF2 frames, and people complained that it was too rough, and they took it away. Luckily I snagged one before that happened. :D

If anyone wants aggressive checkering, get a Springfield TRP operator. Sharpest checkering I've seen on a factory gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom