• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Let me preface this by saying: Sorry! No pictures! I can upload a couple crappy cell phone pictures when I get home. This is more meant to help out anyone who is on the fence about buying this .22.

DO IT!

I picked up my GSG from Mark at 2A (thanks, Mark!) on Tuesday, and anxiously waited for Wednesday to arrive so I could go to the range. It was a long day, but I took the opportunity to break the gun down and become familiar with it (my first experience with anything remotely like a 1911) and gave her a good cleaning. I use Ballistol on all my guns and I really like it, so I decided to continue using that for the GSG.

My first impressions: The gun has a nice feel to it. I’ve only handled a small number of what I would call “real” 1911’s (not knocking the GSG, but it IS a .22), but the feel is surprisingly similar. It’s made primarily out of aluminum, but it doesn’t seem that way. For me, it took some getting used to because I’m not used to the more slim frame of a single stack, but after adjustment it felt really good. I’m sure you 1911 guys will feel right at home immediately.

The finish is good, not great. But it’s also not an $800 .45; I’m pleased with the finish.

The action was a little rough at first, but after I removed some of the factory grease, applied some Ballistol, and worked the slide a bit it started to smoothen out some.

Take down is pretty simple. Unfortunately, you have to remove a hex screw from the side with the provided Allen wrench, but it’s not that big of a deal. After that step it’s pretty simply done. I’ve taken it apart probably a dozen times and it’s not getting on my nerves yet.

The trigger is actually not that bad. I rather enjoyed it. I’m not expert, but I would predict it to be around 5lbs and I thought it felt solid. However, I had some problems with the grip safety. I have larger, skinny hands and a high grip, and sometimes I found it difficult to depress the grip safety and I wouldn’t get a smooth pull on the trigger. Maybe it’s just because I’m not used to the 1911 style, but it was a factor for me. Also, the ambidextrous safety was a pain for me. First, I don’t like the fact that it’s ambidextrous, but I realize that it is somewhat of a must and I can deal with that. However, I found that the safety really dug into my strong hand’s thumb and was very uncomfortable. Maybe this is because of my high grip and the way I hold the gun, but I found it unmanageable. I actually took a dremel to my gun and shaved down the safety to the point that it wasn’t uncomfortable. I can post some pictures of this if you’d like. Once I paint it black I think it will look good as new, and it made shooting the gun far more comfortable. Okay, that’s enough boring stuff.

After a nice preliminary cleaning and a generous application of Ballistol I headed out to the range.

I shot about 200 rounds through mine yesterday and it went great. I started off with 100 CCI mini mags to break her in. Out of the 100 rounds of CCI’s I had no failures other than probably 2 or 3 failures to feed. This was probably more my fault than the guns… it had trouble feeding the first round sometimes if it was angled too far down in the magazine. Once I started making sure the first round was angled up so that it would slide into the feed ramp I had no more FTF’s. Also, I think I had one stovepipe. I’m honestly not sure why… maybe I limp-wristed. :rolleyes: After the CCI’s I started on about 100 Winchester 333 bulk pack. They shot visibly dirtier (obviously) but I was very happy with the guns performance on them. Maybe 5 or so failures to fire but I attribute that more to the ammunition than the gun. I only had a couple of failures to feed for whatever reason.

The gun is more accurate than I am, and I’ll just leave it at that. I was very happy with how well it shot. As stated previously, I liked the trigger.

That’s pretty much all I got! I’m not an expert by any means so if this information sucks or is lacking, I apologize. If you have any specific questions let me know and I can try to answer them.

Basically, get this gun if you want a nice .22 pistol!

Last edited:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    congrats with your new purhase!
    i've found that my gsg likes rem golden bullets from walmart. good and cheap to shoot.:)

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Crappy pic

Sorry for the sucky quality, but I would always rather see a crappy pic of a gun than no pic, so here ya go!

Next to some brick that I found along side of the road. :D

(I keed, I love my glocks!)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 413

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Get it broken in some more and let us know how the failures keep going. It seems to me that you're having a large number. I put 400 rounds of federal bulk through my MKIII and had one Fail to fire even though it had a huge mark on the rim. It had to be a dud imo. Grats on the new gun and glad you like it :)

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Love mine as well. I shot a GH in the face last week. I was worried that the short barrel wouldn't build up enough inertia to do fatal damage. Not a problem.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I've put about 4000+ rounds through mine in two months.... Finish still looks good for the amount of usage. In total I have had less than a dozen fte's or ftf's. # of those were with a friend who was shooting a pistol for the first time and he was limp-wristing it...

The gun is far more accurate than the stock sights and I'm looking to get something better sightwise--- any Novak dovetail sights will fit per ATI...

When I got the gun, I took the grips off ( the were stained but not sealed) and sprayed them with a couple coats of clear acrylic-- the grips still look minty fresh today....

The gun eats any ammo, but honestly the CCI Standard works as well as any and is a little less dirty than some of the others.... I plan on buying a new gun with the money I've saved by shooting 4000 rounds of .22 vs .45....:D

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I love my GSG1911 as well. It is a ton of fun to shoot and is more accurate than I am. However, it is not mostly made of aluminum. The majority of the gun is pot metal which is made of mostly zinc. It's fine for a .22 anything more would be overkill.

-Jim

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Had another ~250 rounds through mine the other day. No failures of any kind! Next time I go out I'm going to run a full brick through it but I expect it to go very well.

I hate cleaning this thing though. I guess I'm just not used to cleaning 1911 styled pistols.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Shot one of these at Sam's cousin's yesterday before the day-ending accident.

Nice pistol; got more accurate with it as we went. Had a few ftf's, but I didn't look to see what ammo he was loading.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    The adapters for converting the GSG threads to 1/2x28tpi have recently been reduced in price on eBay. $29.00 shipped gets you the ability to suppress these wonderful little guns.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom