• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KillerTux

Sep 28, 2007
    Odenton
    Could one of the admins remove the description in the Dealer Connection for Gun Connection...
    "How do you handle regulated firearm transfers after completion of the 7 day wait if the MSP paperwork has not come back:
    My store policy is that we will not transfer any firearm regulated by the State of Maryland, until we have the disposition of "not disapproved", as provided by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division. In regards to a transfer that is only required to have Form 4473, we will transfer if the disposition is proceed. In the event of a delayed transaction, we will transfer either when the proceed is given and/or the three business day wait is up."
    Called today and was told paper work is in with a not disapproved but they will not transfer until the 8th day.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The law states that you must wait until the 8th day with or without the paperwork. Even if the paperwork were to comeback the 2nd day, you still have to wait.

KillerTux

Sep 28, 2007
    Odenton
    I am aware that the paper work doesn't authorize transfer alone it is also the 7 day wait. On the seventh day with a message of not disapproved, a person or dealer can transfer.
    MSP.jpg

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    And the "7th day" is actually the 8th day. A full 7 days must lapse before you can transfer. If you buy a gun on Monday, then Tuesday marks the first day, meaning you can take possession on the following Tuesday.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    One problem is in the wording "... the handgun may be delivered to the purchaser." since it says may i have heard of them not releasing the firearm till the paperwork is back. The ffl i had transfer my pistol told me the same thing, but my paperwork came back on time. They should release it since the MSP has 7 days to disapprove you.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Why is it in other states the background check takes 10 min and you can take the gun home? MD is so BassAackwards!!!

I would just be patient is the state of MD not Dan that's screwing you!

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Dan is correct. It is a full 7 day wait, so the transfer can take place no earlier than the 8th day. That said, there should never be any reason to wait longer than 8 days unless you are disapproved.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If they said you could have it after 1 day, that would be tomorrow.

That would be 1 day, not 2 days. Yes, it's the "2nd day", but 1 day has elapsed.

Sometimes people tend to forget the concept of "zero".

KillerTux

Sep 28, 2007
    Odenton
    Ok, nevermind then. I never encountered the 8 day thing before. I just always did the face to face transfers on the seventh day and never ran into a problem.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    8 is the new 7 in Maryland :lol2:

J/K...Dan is a damn good guy, will treat you right, and go by the book. I'm sure there might be some grey in how things are written/interpreted, but I think we can all agree in his business and this climate caution will always prevail :thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    If they said you could have it after 1 day, that would be tomorrow.

That would be 1 day, not 2 days. Yes, it's the "2nd day", but 1 day has elapsed.

Sometimes people tend to forget the concept of "zero".

Half-cocked, I agree. I was looking for the text of the MD law. Where's Novus when you need him?

From what I've read and what I've personally experienced, Day 1, is the day the paperwork is prepared and submitted (or faxed) to MSP. i.e., generally if you purchase a regulated firearm on Saturday, if all goes as expected and the 'Not Disapproved' application is back in the FFL's hands, you can pick up the firearm the following Saturday. Been there, done that more than once from different dealers.

Depending on when one starts counting days, the following Saturday is either 7 or 8 days, but the law states day 1 is the day the app. is signed and faxed to MSP. My point is if you purchase a gun on say a Wednesday, unless "Disapproved" comes back beforehand, the transfer could legally take place the following Wednesday, not Thursday.

Of course we all know many sellers prefer to have the 'Not Dissapproved' paperwork in their hands first. And I'm not including the accomodation for holidays, which the law does.

Paging Novus.

BILGERATED

Feb 20, 2008
    Aberdeen
    The actual reasoning behind that is a Sunday is a legal holiday in MD and does not count as one of the waiting days. So, you can pick up on the 7th day but you cannot include Sunday in that wait. Just some more liberal BS IMO.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The actual reasoning behind that is a Sunday is a legal holiday in MD and does not count as one of the waiting days. So, you can pick up on the 7th day but you cannot include Sunday in that wait. Just some more liberal BS IMO.

I disagree, Sunday is included in the wait period. Holidays are excluded.

Novus?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Gun laws have no rhyme or reason. That we all know.

They suck more for the dealers then the customers. The level of paper work hell and required ******** is mind boggling.

They have a livelyhood to protect, they have to deal with more shit form the MSP and ATF then you know. If they tend to be a little more carefull then you may like it's because they want to keep their license.

If you think it's such a cake walk, put you name on a door.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I think you cannot do the transfer on a Sunday, but it is included in the wait period.

My gawd...and we are probably on the high end of understanding Maryland firearm laws. Just imagine the poor schlub buying his/her first gun and know nothing. MD just makes it too damned dificult with too many gray areas.

Splitter

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Gun laws have no rhyme or reason. That we all know.

They suck more for the dealers then the customers. The level of paper work hell and required ******** is mind boggling.

They have a livelyhood to protect, they have to deal with more shit form the MSP and ATF then you know. If they tend to be a little more carefull then you may like it's because they want to keep their license.

If you think it's such a cake walk, put you name on a door.

Amen. One of the many reasons I don't own a gun shop. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom