• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    My gun safe has gone from full to overfull and is quickly reaching jam packed. I do not want to scratch or mar my rifles. I have thought about putting them all in gun socks before they go in the safe. It would make it a pain to pick out a rifle for a range trip, but pain beats damage. Does anyone here have any experience with long term storage in gun socks? Would this hurt anything?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have a few pistols socked away. Haven't gone long term, only been about 6 months. I usually treat them with Eezox before storing; pretty much eliminates corrosion.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    All of mine are in socks but I dont think anything has gone untouched for more than a year. I wipe everything down before it gets put away and there is a dehumidifier. Like you my bigger concern was scratching and contact. I buy the bulk packs from midway.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Guys, thanks for your help. I have very few rifles that do not go to the range at least once a year. I just know that I need to do something. The wife is less than happy with the rifles laying all around the house. Are gun socks safe for all finishes?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I've using them for about ten years now and haven't had any issues. They do help prevent safe handling scratches, but they also add bulk to the gun when trying to pack everything in like sardines.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I originally used socks but got really tired of the extra bulk and not knowing what was what. Rifle rods and pistol racks have since worked out much better for me.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I had your problem. Then I bought another safe.

I have done the same a few times, I buy the fake flannel heavy sleeves that the rifle slides into and the end folds over and to tie it shut with the lacing. I mark what rifle is in it with a sharpie and pack them in the safes. Some barrel up and some barrel down. I have never had a safe dent on any stocks sense I started using these. They cost about 5 - 6 bucks apiece.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Do something, better now than after you scratch something. I have two scratched stocks that bug the hell out of me. I'm always really careful and I don't remember anything in particular happening, yet they are serious scratches.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I like the rifle rods but I don't think that they will gain me the extra space that I need.

It doubled my long gun storage capacity. Borderline impossible any other way I've seen.

*edit* Now that I counted, the rods more than doubled capacity. Use those along with basic socks (not the padded storage bags) and you should be good to go. By the way, thigh tube socks work and are inexpensive. Cut them to fit. Use more than one per gun if need be.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Do something, better now than after you scratch something. I have two scratched stocks that bug the hell out of me. I'm always really careful and I don't remember anything in particular happening, yet they are serious scratches.

This is the heartache I am trying to avoid.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I keep all of mine in socks with the following protocol.

1. Clean after use (a lot of people who have sock problems pack them wet)
    2. Oil, usually EEZOX, CLP and Hoppes oil for delicate finishes where I dont want to use a solvent.
    3. Pack
    4. Clean every six months to a year and re-oil

I also use Borestores so I can stack handguns. Someday I will get another safe but for now it works.

Never had a problem and the socks have saved my bacon when I had a "safealanche"

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Pistols were lubed, put in silicone impregnated sock and vacpak'd in 2011. Pulled them out last week - still pristine. Even those not vacpak'd were in great shape. Throw a pack of silica in with the gun sock and you'll be fine.

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    I keep all of mine in socks with the following protocol.

1. Clean after use (a lot of people who have sock problems pack them wet)
    2. Oil, usually EEZOX, CLP and Hoppes oil for delicate finishes where I dont want to use a solvent.
    3. Pack
    4. Clean every six months to a year and re-oil

I also use Borestores so I can stack handguns. Someday I will get another safe but for now it works.

Never had a problem and the socks have saved my bacon when I had a "safealanche"

Not laughing at your mishap but when I read "safealanche" I had to chuckle. If you only saw what and how I stack my safe...lol

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Difference between a Borestore and an Allen brand rifle stock. You can absolutely PACK them in with Borestores. Store some muzzle down, even stack some on top of one another, and I don't think there is any other solution that is as space efficient. Great company that will make custom sizes at a tiny premium if requested.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385331607412.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1385331607412.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads