• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Like many of you, I'm looking for a handgun before October 1st, but I'm having some trouble finding one that meets my criteria. I'm looking for a carry piece in 9mm that can hold more than 10 rounds (duh). SA is fine, SA/DA is fine, Browning designs (or their derivatives) are awesome, and my budget is ~$400. Also, I don't like Glocks.

I stumbled across this but it's not on the roster, and a call to Maureen at the MSP roter board revealed that this gun has been tabled, and won't be passed as a clone of the CZ-75 compact. She went on to say that it will take several months (read: until after October 1st) for it to be reviewed by their tool marking experts and put on the roster, and that it's unclear that the purchase will be treated as pre-OCT01 if I buy it for submission purposes. Suffice it to say, this doesn't fill me with confidence that purchasing the gun will work for my purposes, which is a damned shame, considering what I've read about it.

Any other suggestions?

(just in case, this is the gun: http://www.jgsales.com/cai-canik-55...auto-compact-pistol.-black.-new.-p-57900.html )

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    MY friend just got a used M&P 9mm for $450 and it had night sights and he loves it. I would suggest whatever you buy be from a 8 day releasing FFL or a FTF transfer.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    You can find used Kahr's for pretty reasonable prices here and there. I agree a used M&P also. The Sig 239 is an awesome carry piece, but they are usually closer to 500+ used.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As far as a 10+ rd 9mm geniericly , just keep your eyes open , allowing for used in good condition , the choices are legion.

Keeping directly to the Browning idea , the FM from Argentina is an exact liscenced HiPower , configured similar to an early '70s Browning , except reliable with all ammo types. The price will be close even new.

The CZ-75 ( and clones ) have a grip shape derived fron , and very close to a Browning. Over the years there have been more clones than can be counted. In the '80s and early '90s , Italian clones were imported by countless firms. Some were strieght off the Tangfolio production line ( which aren't bad ) , and others bragged about various degrees of final fitting and/ or finishing in US. If you can live without cocked and locked , the clones with slide mounted safeties are generally less expensive.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    The standard mag without an extension is only 6 rounds + 1 chambered in the Kahr P9. Same length and height as my G 26. Being a single stack, it has a much thinner profile. This makes it more concealable than my G 26. Although cheaper, the newer Kahr CW 9 is not the quality of the Kahr P 9.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    All this stuff is great, thanks!

I've talked to the stores near home and work, and they're all picked clean. Any recommendations for places to look? I live in Frederick, but am willing to drive for this.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    check out slickguns

you can find a decent deal, and have it shipped to your ffl of choice

worked for me

The only problem with Transfers of handguns is they generally tack on around $100 to the prices of the gun. There are a few FFL that are cheaper but most are from $80 to $100 right now.

Thanks
    Robert

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , let's be realistic on the current situation. Call drive to every gun stote in Md within semi reasonable distance until you find somthing in stock in your price range and doesn't suck. In your price range the shipponng and tranfer fees would take too big a chunk.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    The real kicker is that I keep finding great guns online, but they're not on the roster, and even though full size versions have been or are being approved (as of July first), the compact versions are treated as separate firearms.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I don't have one, but something like a Bersa Ultra compact seems to match your requirements.

Thunder-Pro-UC-9-mat-L-fram.jpg

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    FEG & Kareen High Powers run in the $200 to $450 range on Gunbroker. Cole sells a ton of them, keeping the price down. You can get a nice looker for $450, a butt ugly shooter for $200

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Skip the transfer and pick up a Beretta PX4 Storm. I have one and i am very happy with it. 1500 rounds and ZERO problems...very nice gun...a little higer than your price but certainly a well priced gun...it should last you forever! I have a Streamlight Tlr-1 light for the rail and put Meprolight night sights on mine...very nice home defense weapon! Full size 9 mm and 17 round capacity.

Last edited:

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Hmm... looks like the storm might fit the bill - not too small, mags > 10 rounds, 9mm, concealable (awaiting the day). Where'd you find yours, and how much (if I may ask)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom