• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    Hello,

Update: we had to evacuate the beach area becase we were only a few mile from the beach and between the two bodies of water we left before the bridge was closed. Were about 15 miles inland now. It was an exciting day waking up with a cracked windshield and a flat tire. Was able to bike pump it enough to find a gas station with an air pump still working. Got a plug kit at advanced auto parts and fixed it. Were hoping our apartment doesnt end up underwater but we will see. We took most the food we were able to get thanks to everyones hrlp. Idk what we would of had to do withought some cash for gas and being able to drive out. Thank you all so much. You helped us so much.

I,m Ryan, and was referred by Walter, someone here who has been a good friend. There seems to be a really amazing community here, and thank you all so much for being there for us. It really means a lot to me.

EDIT: This left us with a lot to mange and figure out, it has been a stressful month, so the support is such a relief. When this happened my best friend of years was part of the move with us, and with the Turmoil of it all we fell out, she was left pretty broken as I had pushed her for a year to go to school and she had just finished her second quarter when it closed. She was so proud to be making progress, then being left feeling like it was for not she moved back to the motel with her mom. I had a pool stick from over 9 years ago that when things were tight then I was still able to keep, I let it go this time around. I spent last night consoling my neighbor after her boyfriend left her, that she shouldn't hurt herself, shes doing better now. One of her friends was living out of a bag, I gave her a box which was really sad because of how happy she was to have something to put stuff in. I just really appreciate it, because as scared as I have been to make sure everything will be ok for my daughter. I also have been seeing more than ever the challenges that people are facing. I really wish I was in a situation to assist others and really appreciate the support. I felt like I lost the track I was on, lost a lot of time on my GI bill, lost my best friend, lost things I made a point to hold onto, then saw people and friends in struggle. I just really appreciate everything.

EDIT: ... wow, its over 600.
    [10:47PM] : omg, I could pay towards the bill I have here for moving out the other unit. this is insane, I was going to just left everything else go except the essentials, and now I could pay bills? fk I ..
    I had cancelled netflix to save the 10 bucks, we dont have cable, my phone is disconected and im useing a skype number on wifi since its 6 bucks a month
    I just cant believe it.

I don't know how to re express that to you all, so I pasted it, thank you so much.

EDIT: I turned off donations, thank you all very much, the last thing I want is any more than I would need, especially when I see so many people these days facing their own challenges. We really appreciate it, I will update soon, thanks.

EDIT: I turned donation back on this morning after reading a suggestion that made a lot of sense to me. I will put Lillian and this transition every bit first, however if there is anything that is above what is helping us, I will focus on helping others I know that were affected by this closure. If that turns out to be the case, I will update on the the who and what it accomplished for them. I just wanted this information to be present. Thank you all for your support.

EDIT: So much support, I will Fill the gas, budget to keep it good until we are, get anything Lilly needs and stock up the fridge with some more variety for her to choose from. pay some due bills, keep some aside for anything unexpected. I think anything unused when were back on track should be put towards donation. I want to fully respect the intent of all the assistance we received, as well, I am open to recommendations or requests. I will be posting updates and pictures with how we are using it, maybe a lot of trust, but happy to verify. thank you all so much.

EDIT: Also, I had mentioned that I was pawning everything I could. anything I pawned I will not recover as I feel that would violate the best purpose of this help. I have everything I can't afford to loose with me, And we are happy. I really look forward to updating with positive news.

EDIT: The Fund reached 956, I turned it off, I think were going to make it fine from here, I,m optimistic that everything will work out fine, and I really look forward to updating on the progress we make and the stability we will have with the help. thanks so much.

EDIT/Update: we are doing my better thanks to all the help, We have plenty of food to get by now, have been able to keep gas in the car. There is still about 500 left in the bank which is so amazing especially since we are right near the beach and facing a likely evacuation for the hurricane. I have an appointment on the 10th with the veterans office at city hall to get assistance paying rent this month, I have already discussed everything with our apartments about the situation and they will work with us. hopefully with this appointment at a later date then id original hope, it will actually work out with the hurricane passing by then. Thank you all for your support.

Last edited:

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Welcome aboard Ryan! You have a lot of friends here!

Glad you could join us! Stay safe and take care of that little angel you have there!

Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    Thank you very much!, I really appreciate it. I don't feel like anything is bad enough it can't be worked through, so we will keep making progress, thank you for your support.

Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    Thank you very much : ), I was working on my bachelors in cyber security, still forget to press F5 to refresh these posts, sorry I'm so late on the communication.

Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    Thank you, and I'm grateful myself for being able to serve, I don't think I would have been able to keep things together the same if I didn't. I appreciate your support.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Thank you very much : ), I was working on my bachelors in cyber security, still forget to press F5 to refresh these posts, sorry I'm so late on the communication.

Welcome aboard, Ryan. There are a lot of fellow vets on this board, and a lot of folks that have made it through tough times. We try to take care of each other as best we can.

You said you were working on Cyber Security studies. Keep at that. In the mean time check USAJobs for Federal and contractor openings (you have hiring preference as a veteran). The field is booming with no end in sight - it's the place to be. Even if you don't land a job you may hook up with a local mentor (which would be more valuable to you at this stage, IMO).

Also contact the local ASIS, ISACA and ISC2 chapters to see if they know of any entry level opportunities. Networking is good.

God bless...

Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    Thank you BeoBill, I appreciate that, I am googling The acronym I wasn't familiar with, and finding good info! I will be on it. I plan to have nothing but good news sooner than later. thank you, thanks all.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 165

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Hey Ryan, you should reopen the donations and any extra you may have, simply use it to help others. Things will get better. Just know that there is a huge support system of support, even if it is not an organized group (the American people). Most Americans will help a veteran, no questions asked.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    Thank you, and that is a great suggestion of turning the donation back on. I debated this internally after reading it, and while I will put my daughter Lillian first, I think the idea of anything that is above what we can use to get through this transition could be used to help someone else that is struggling, is a good idea. If that turns out to be the case, I will update on that, who, how, and what for. thank you all for your kindness. Also, I received a notification this morning that my father sent us 200 through pay pal. I know things are tight for him right now as he has already invested his resources into opening a gun store in Oregon. To have so much support from everyone and coming at the same time has been really amazing.

Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    yes, I am definitely keeping faith!, thank you. And I am very relieved, I felt things would work out, but all the support here has helped me define a clear path for us.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Hi Ryan
    You should raise your goal on the go find me page. You goal has been exceeded so a lot of people will quit donating. I don't suggest this to sound greedy but, because I know how much it costs to support a family. That $500 will not go very far when it comes to groceries, rent, and utilities.
    I know that asking for help is one of the hardest things in the world to do. Several years ago I had to do it after being on my own from the time I was 18. Things went south for me and I sold off what I could, played the which bills do I pay this month game, lived on ramen noodles, ect, ect. It took everything I had in me to ask for some help but, it was the right thing to do at the time. Through hard work and a lot sacrifice I got back on my feet. Some of the sacrifice was in my own pride actually a lot of pride was given up but it was what was necessary at the time. There is no shame in trading some pride for keeping you and your family taken care of as long as you don't do anything that is immoral. You can't pay the bills or feed you family on false pride.
    I hope you don't take any of this as me being harsh because that is not my intention. I am just saying this because I waited until it was almost too late to ask for help needlessly and I hope you can avoid the mistakes I made. As a bonus when you get back on your feet in the future you can help someone elce that is struggling or in what they feel is a low point in there life which is what I have tried to do for you through my donation.
    God bless you and your family in these tough times.

Ryan Sharpe

Sep 29, 2016
    I think I will take your advice on that, I have just been trying to cut back on everything to keep our needs as little as possible, like, we don't do cable, I used a Skype number on my phone at 6 bucks a month, I cancelled Netflix. I do have a bill from leaving the other unit in this complex due on the 6th a little over 400, the lady will be back in later who I can work a payment plan with. I certainly have more bills than I,m asking, but I don't want all my bills payed necessarily. I feel feel better if we can make it on what we have till the housing allowance comes, and I,m back working. That way I can pay whatever is late or on plans. when ITT shut down, I couldn't find in person classes in the area so I jumped into online classes, but at 800 dollar BAH its about 700 less than the 1500 when you physically attend, that may come as soon as the 20th of next month, rent is 1025, but I had already gone down to the Veterans office at city hall here and they said they would cover rent as soon as its late. I really want to minimize the burden on anyone else. I think that by the end of this upcoming month we will be on track, I,m hoping there are not any issues with the GI bill benefits as far as repayments from money dispersed when the school shut down, as I used that last housing check right before the shutdown to pay my apartment and utilities. I will post how what we used the money for. as it stands, the plan is food, gas, some more toilet paper, restock on children's medicine, as she had a stomach ache today and had to stay home from school, that made me think I need to get some in the cabinets in case she needs it. Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom