• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack41

Oct 27, 2007
    Randallstown
    Hello everyone im new to the forum im actually a new gun owner just brought my first rifle the other day a Savage Mark II GL left handed .22 lr, i just wanted to know where i could find the accesories for it or would i have to wait until it comes in to see manual

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    I would try gunbroker.com as a start. I have one also and the only thing I have done yet is put a different stock on it and a scope.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jack,

If you really want to jummp in with both feet, come hang with us tomorrow at the shoot at DelMarVa range near Cambridge.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Hello everyone im new to the forum im actually a new gun owner just brought my first rifle the other day a Savage Mark II GL left handed .22 lr, i just wanted to know where i could find the accesories for it or would i have to wait until it comes in to see manual
    Mags?
    Mark ll SS 10rd $20.00
    Mark ll Blue 10rd $16.00
    anything else?

Jack41

Oct 27, 2007
    Randallstown
    Jack,

If you really want to jummp in with both feet, come hang with us tomorrow at the shoot at DelMarVa range near Cambridge.

i would but man i live in randallstown with no car (only 19) so ya >< plus dicks is well dicking around with my gun sayin the shipment is late

Oct 27, 2007
    The Mark II is a very simple rifle design. If I were you, the first thing that I would do is to purchase a basic gun cleaning kit and a Hoppes BoreSnake in .22 caliber, as the first thing that you should do is to give the rifle a through cleaning.

The purpose of cleaning a new rifle is to remove any dirt and debris that may be left over from the manufacturing process. After your new rifle has been cleaned for the first time, you will not need to clean the bore thoroughly after every shooting session, as the bore on a .22 caliber rifle does not get fouled as rapidly as it does on high-power rifles. However, you may wish to pull a couple of dry patches through the bore followed by a lightly oiled patch to remove powder residue and prevent corrosion.

Start the cleaning process by removing the bolt from the receiver. The bolt on the Mark II is removed by pulling the trigger while lifting up and back on the bolt handle. Wipe the bolt down with a couple of dry cleaning patches followed by a clean lightly oiled patch. Complete this portion of the process by cleaning the inside of the receiver using the same procedure.

After the bolt and breech have been cleaned, pull the bore snake through the bore a couple of times, starting at the breech. Follow this step up by pulling a clean lightly oiled patch through the bore. I would refrain from using a cleaning rod to pull a patch through the bore, as the Mark II has "microgrooved" rifling. Instead, pull the patch through the barrel using a piece of twenty to thirty pound monofilament.

Reassemble the rifle by pulling on the trigger while re-inserting the bolt. Complete the cleaning process by wiping down the outside of the receiver and barrel with a clean lightly oiled cleaning patch. You should perform this procedure, sans pulling the bore snake through the bore, after each session to help prevent corrosion.

Finally, if you have not been through a hunting or firearms safety course, you should familiarize yourself with the "Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety"—the most of important of all is to “Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction!” Additionally, if you always treat your firearms as if they are loaded, your chances of having a firearm-related accident will be greatly diminished.

One last thing: when in doubt, find an experienced and safety conscious mentor. Shooting and collecting firearms is a rewarding hobby; however, it is a hobby that demands respect.

Last edited:
    Oct 27, 2007

Are you also left-eye dominant? I am left-handed, but shoot right-handed due to being right-eye dominant. Eye dominance is more important than hand dominance when it comes to the shooting sports. I shot left-handed for years until I was corrected by a military shooting instructor who noticed that I was exhibiting cross-eye dominance during handgun training. Shooting using one's dominant eye allows one to keep both eyes open while aiming at a target. Monocular sighting (i.e., having to shut one eye to aim) destroys depth perception and peripheral vision. Also, being able to shoot with both eyes open allows for the quick acquisition of game when using a telescopic sight.

Jack41

Oct 27, 2007
    Randallstown
    Are you also left-eye dominant? .

actually both my eyes have the same vision when it comes to handguns but then agian i usally keep em both open;) but my dad brought a right handed gun so i will see, by him being in the army he can show me. But thanx for the tip didnt know it was eye dominance thought it was hand dominence

Oct 27, 2007
    actually both my eyes have the same vision when it comes to handguns but then agian i usally keep em both open;) but my dad brought a right handed gun so i will see, by him being in the army he can show me. But thanx for the tip didnt know it was eye dominance thought it was hand dominence

A simple test for eye dominance is to overlap one’s hands such that one’s thumbs and forefingers form a small triangle. One then picks an object across the room and looks at it through the triangle while taking turns closing each eye. The eye for which the object does not move is one’s dominant eye.

No shooting aid will overcome the limitations imposed on one by cross-eye dominant shooting. The old tape over one of the lenses of one’s shooting glasses helps, but not as much as switching hands.

It took me less than week to instinctively stop shouldering a rifle left-handed after making the switch. It now feels funny to shoulder a weapon left-handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom