• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I just recieved this bow for the price of shipping, and want to know what I can expect from it. It is a 70# draw, and I believe it was 65% let off, if I rememebr correctly. The draw is the upper reaches for me, I had a Hoyt magnatec in 55# or so, and that was much more my speed, but i had to sell it a while back.
    This bow is old, but seems to work fine. I havn't shot it yet. The string is fine, and there are no cracks in the limbs, she is just old. Would it be worth it to try and use it, or sould I just go get another, newer bow?
    Pics will be up when I get home.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    When in doubt, take it to an archery shop.

I don't know about you, but there is a lot of tension on the bow and I do not want a catastrophic failure in my face.

I did replace the string on one of my bows that was old and it made a world of difference in terms of shooting.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I will be taking it to macrotec in Brooklyn park. But in the mean time, here are some pics. Anyone know if there is a trade in program anywhere?
    aeff2768-1a7e-36f4.jpg

aeff2768-1adb-fd6b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    There are no marks on the limbs. How do I know when I've got it at it's minimum setting? I don't want things to explode on me, but I would liketo see what the lowest draw weight feels like.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I wouldn't recommend trying to lessen the weight too much. If you get one thread further, the whole thing could ka-boom. Like Pitjeep said, was a great bow when new. Still a great bow if you are happy with it and do not need all the bells and whistles.

Don't buy into the hype of getting a new bow every couple years. That one will last as long as you take good care of it.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    It actually has a pretty long draw. The more I look into it, the more I feel that this free bow may not be for me. I think I may be in the market still. I wish I had my old Hoyt still. That thing was sweet.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Depending on which or what year Hoyt, you would be going from a Leupold to an NcStar.

Take it out, shoot it. Free is free.

What's your draw length? I might have a BowTech to let go.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    The Hoyt was a magnatech with the xt2000 limbs from 2006 i think. don't really remember. This is that good a bow?

My draw length is between 28 and 29 inches. Closer to 28. I anchor on the corner of my mouth and this one draws back to my ear, and just feels unnatural.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I havn't got that far, but hopefully Macrotech can enlighten me as to just what I am working with here. It looks good and feels smooth, I just need to shoot her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom