• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Here is the one I've made over the past week for my Taurus 617. Replaces the blackhawk holster I've been using for farm carry. Little rough in spots, but I've only been dabbling in leatherwork for 7 or 8 months.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Western Styles Are a Lot of fun and Started doing them in the Early SASS days . This is a Double Loop Mexican style.

Blaster if that Q If is for Me IE the Western DL ...it is an 1880's Design and typical of the Period. Single Action Shooting Society Uses Period Leathers and Gear for their Matches. A good source of info is "Packing Iron" and it is a Great Coffee Table Book.

Good looking holster! :thumbsup:

I had noticed that the two single-action revolver holsters that I got via online orders didn't cover the trigger and hadn't given it much thought other than also noting that I could cover the hammer in each - and neither would be actual holster "carry" guns for me anyway. What you've mentioned above makes sense. By contrast, the leather holsters for my double-action revolvers all cover the trigger.

A few representative pics below (including single-action Colt Frontier Scout and single-action Ruger Blackhawk as well as double-action Smith & Wessons) ...

Attachments

• DSC_0035.jpg
      DSC_0035.jpg
      67.9 KB · Views: 298
    • DSC_0042.jpg
      DSC_0042.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 283
    • leather holster for Ruger Blackhawk.jpg
      leather holster for Ruger Blackhawk.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 312
    • leather holsters for revolvers.jpg
      leather holsters for revolvers.jpg
      86.1 KB · Views: 285

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    jtb a few of mine ended up in the "Scrap Box"...Don't be discouraged and use Cereal Box Cardboard to Make Your rough patterns. It will save You some tine and mistakes too. Good Luck Leather is a Great Hobby!!

Have to save some of those, although the file folders I've been using work well too. Actually like this one roughness and everything. If I had kept it more simple it would have been better looking, but I really wanted the shell holder on it. Only scrapped two things so far and one of those was a combo of poor quality leather and trouble with Fiebings brown dye. Going to see if I do better with Eco-flo.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    This is one for the S&W model 25 in .45Colt. Flap Style for Hiking Etc. The Black OWB is for a Belgian Browning High Power.

Attachments

• 12-13-11 Holsters 020.jpg
      12-13-11 Holsters 020.jpg
      102.5 KB · Views: 281
    • 12-13-11 Holsters 022.jpg
      12-13-11 Holsters 022.jpg
      102.5 KB · Views: 290

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    One other word of advice for novice Leather Crafters would be Never Use Chrome Tan Processed Leather! Always use Vegetable Tanned as they will be Less likely to Damage a Firearms Finish. Lastly ...do not Store Your Firearm (longterm) in the Holster ! I Enjoyed the exchange of info on this Post.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never mind the coat hanger s , all you need for expedient holster is shoelace.
    I'd have to do a cencus for total on hostholsters v guns. But everything has somthing to carry it, except for Contender, ARs. X Frame dosen't yet, but will.

While specific leather is best, a decent universal belt slide will work reasonable well with lots of pistols.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Except for my rimfires every other pistol/revolver has at least one holster (986 holster has not arrived as of yet) and usually 2. Some guns have a holster for drawing in competition and a carry holster for those matches that don't require drawing. Drawing holster are all on Double Alpha 2-piece competition belts with mag carriers while all the holsters just for carrying or CCW are usually designed to slip on one of my operator belts along with a double mag pouch.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Good find (the link), I like it better than the 'double it over' version in the 100 deadly skills book.

F98V3OGI1MPZTZF.MEDIUM.jpg

Glad you have read (at least parts of) that book. It's interesting though not all super applicable.

I will try this other method out and compare. Easy way to make a quick holster.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Glad you have read (at least parts of) that book. It's interesting though not all super applicable.

I will try this other method out and compare. Easy way to make a quick holster.

As long as the pistol is not one that you particularly care for... I see that thing scratching the snits out of the side of the pistol and ruining the crown and bore.

Here is a commercially made item which uses the same method with less chance of damage and a better trigger protection system as well.
    http://www.versacarry.com/semi-auto/
    maxresdefault.jpg

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I wrapped it with electrical tape. Made it a little more snug and protects the barrel.

In the book this is presented in a different manner where you would need to improvise to survive/ escape/ go undetected as a grey operative. It's a great book and very interesting as it was developed by an ex navy seal who spent the rest of his career at nsa doing ops. It isn't super applicable all the time but does show you how to make useful items in a pinch.

That product does look worth trying though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom