Holy Grail Gun - French MAC M1950 vet bring back from Nam!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    I was shocked to see this for sale at my local gun show. A dealer friend of mine noticed it during Friday set-up so I was there when the doors opened Saturday at 9am. I have only seen a handful of Nam bringback MAC's in collections since I've been searching for one. The dealer I bought it from got it directly from the vet so I hope to get some info on how it was captured. A member of another forum is researching the vet and I hope she comes up with something interesting. Captain Gerald Thompson was a MACV advisor and was on Team Maryland.
    TH3.png

Blocked Serial.png

TH1.png

TH6.png

TH2.png

Cert blocked.png

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You're becoming one of my collection idols

I don't particularly care for French weapons but the capture aspect really does it for me. Very good as usual.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Very nice! Not sure but that looks like it might be a Chinese Tokarev holster. Capture papers are a nice bonus. How much did it set you back?

I'll never know the story on mine but it's a French arsenal rework. The interesting thing is that the replacement barrel is dated in the 70's but it's not import marked so I have no idea how it ended up here.

Is your barrel phosphate or just darkened with age?

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Very nice! Not sure but that looks like it might be a Chinese Tokarev holster. Capture papers are a nice bonus. How much did it set you back?

I'll never know the story on mine but it's a French arsenal rework. The interesting thing is that the replacement barrel is dated in the 70's but it's not import marked so I have no idea how it ended up here.

Is your barrel phosphate or just darkened with age?

Thanks! I believe your right that its a Chinese Tok holster. I think the barrel is just darkened with age. You have a nice MAC there!!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks! I believe your right that its a Chinese Tok holster. I think the barrel is just darkened with age. You have a nice MAC there!!
    Thank you. Can you tell me if there are any marking at all on your barrel. You don't run across these very often and I like to collect as much info as I can. I have a theory that original barrels were not marked in any way but replacement ones were dated. Now, whether that was a production date or a fitment date, I don't know but I think it was the former.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Absolutely it's a Chinese Tok holster. Great catch, welcome to the club! If my memory is correct there were around 200 exported from S. Vietnam in the 60s and who knows how many bring backs. Like yours, mine is a bring back too. Seldom seen here in the US.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Thanks for the comments guys! I shot the gun just twice at the range today and each spent round didn't eject some probably and issue with the extractor. Otherwise it was a nice shooting pistol. I don't think I will shoot it again. I did give it a wipe down. The barrel is shot with hardly any rifling left. I did not see any markings on the barrel. My researcher friend was unable to find any contact info on the vet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom